Chocolate obsession

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Chocolate obsession

Postby ChristmasGift » 04 Dec 2015, 20:34

My child is obsessed with chocolate and I don't know how best to handle it. DH and I both eat a lot of rubbish but in my case that's never in front of her and until recently DH has been pretty good at covert scoffing too. She was never offered chocolate until she was about 18months and since then it's been very infrequent - at parties or when she's with other parents who's children an having chocolate etc. I've gone for a 'don't offer but don't refuse' type approach and just minimised the times choc is on offer. The only exception to this is DHs parents who, despite my requests not to, do give her chocolate. She used to see them twice a week but now its just once.
Against my better judgement she currently has a chocolate advent calendar and it seems to have unleashed a demon. She's literally waking up first thing in the morning asking for chocolate and asking for pretty often at other times. I never wanted to demonise chocolate but I also don't want her to think its normal to eat it daily. I've never used it as a bribe or 'treat' in a 'if you do x you can have chocolate' way. I'm not sure how best to approach this. Any ideas oh wise ones?
Mama to The Babs- Aug 2012
ChristmasGift

Re: Chocolate obsession

Postby StJuniper » 04 Dec 2015, 20:40

Surely it's not demonising chocolate to say something like, "I can't let you eat chocolate all day, because it can cause problems with your teeth and body?" My boys know that any requests for desserts or treats will be refused out of hand at any times except at the end of lunch/dinner and occasionally afternoon snack, with a rationale something like what I've said above. But we've also never been very covert or minimalist about our sugar-eating, so maybe they'd be more persistent about asking if it was on offer less often...
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby mamapup » 04 Dec 2015, 21:57

The puppy is chocolate obsessed too. He never had actual chocolate until very recently but was allowed the odd cakey thing always. He would eat only sweet stuff if we let him.

I think some people just have a real sweet tooth. Little Croc, living in the same house, with same opportunities, doesn't care as much.

We ration non cakey sweet stuff very strictly but are less strict on homemade cakes because I never put much sugar in them.

We try to keep it for pudding and because he doesn't eat much we do say he has to eat x or y to get sweet food. Don't like doing it but we have to with him.

Otherwise, I'd say just say no! She'll soon get the picture. You could explain about balanced diets. We have done that with the puppy. One of his books.has a picture of the food groups so we.talk about why we shouldn't eat too much sweet stuff. They're old enough to understand now.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby emzit » 05 Dec 2015, 00:36

We don't have chocolate advent calendars for precisely this reason! I don't want to raise expectations because I know there would be a battle to brig it back under control. Mincher has quite a sweet tooth but we have explained that chocolate doesn't give our bodies the right nutrients to grow healthy and strong and so we need to choose other things like fruit and veggies that do give us the right nutrients. He's pretty good at understanding that.
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Postby bigcatmaniac » 05 Dec 2015, 08:48

I am worried about exactly this happening in our house - hence the advent calendars my mil bought are still in the carrier bag upstairs and I suspect I'll end up eating the chocs out of them. We did one last year when dd1 was 2 and she went mental for chocolate after that, asking for it constantly. I don't want the same thing happening for dd2 who already is obsessed with biscuits. The book idea is great MP - might try that. At the moment dd1 is hardly eating any real food, just wants snacks and refuses her lunch and tea. My OH thinks I am being a bit mean not giving her the advent calendar but she's getting enough rubbish at the mo (playgroup are constantly decorating buns or biscuits for Xmas) so I don't care!
bigcatmaniac

Postby ChristmasGift » 05 Dec 2015, 12:14

Thanks for your thoughts. I had originally bought her a non chocolate based advent calendar but visiting a friend last week whose LO has 3 advent calendars and eats (what I think is) a huge amount of sugary crap I thought I was being a bit OTT. Definitely going to give the book and talking about what is good for our bodies a go. I think she'll get that.
ChristmasGift

Postby mamapup » 05 Dec 2015, 14:50

Dunno if that's ott. My kids will be getting one chocolate coin a day for the next eight days. They will ask for one every time they go in the k room, I'm sure, but we will consistently say no and that'll be the end of it. I guess advent calendars are more of a temptation as they're always in view.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

mamapup

Postby Ali70 » 05 Dec 2015, 15:17

I dont think its ott. Sproglet doesn't have a choc advent calendar because there's enough sugary crap coming home from nursery and other places and I don't want build a 24 day routine of her thinking she can have choc every day.

She has s fabric Xmas tree calendar with different decorations to Velcro on every day. I honestly think she's had far more pleasure from the hours she's spent playing with it, than having a piece of chocolate everyday. Chocolate is lovely but I think we assign a disproportionate amount of pleasure to it, there are plenty of other sources of happiness for kids.
Sproglet born April 2013
Ali70

Postby EnigmaFish » 05 Dec 2015, 23:04

Wow, it's so good to know it's not just us! Kleintje has become obsessed with sweets. Some days, she spends the whole day crying that she's hungry, but refuses anything we offer that's not sweet. Distributing the Halloween haul was a nightmare. She wanted all the sweets, every day. My mil gave us a chocolate advent calendar but I've banned it pq I can't deal with another month of this.
CG, one thing I did incorporate was the idea of doing a daily challenge to get a sweet. It seemed to have positive results. So for instance, she has a habit of saying "I'm bored" overly frequently, so I challenged her to find things to do instead of being bored. Another day, she had to practice good listening, rather than just automatically saying no to my every request. I know this sets the bar pretty high for getting one small sweet!
v1.0: Kleintje, born January 2012.
v2.0: Newt, born July 2014.
EnigmaFish

Postby qbm » 06 Dec 2015, 08:02

My elderly neighbour bought both my girls a chocolate advent calendar and gave it to them on the 31st November as soon as we opened the door to her. She did follow it up with a comment about how she should have checked with us first. I really dislike the fact that my one year old in particular demands chocolate as soon as she's awake. They haven't asked for them this morning though despite rushing to open the activity one so fingers crossed...

DD1 is a bit obsessed with sweet stuff too. At birthday parties she literally eats cakes as if she hasn't eaten in days. So much so that iit really concerns me! Apart from cake at parties she is pretty good at just eating what she wants of sweet stuff and saving some for another time but she really does love sweet foods. On the very few occasions she's had jelly type sweets they've nipped her tongue and got stuck round her teeth so she doesn't like them. Whoop whoop!
Last edited by qbm on 06 Dec 2015, 10:09, edited 1 time in total.
E - Aug 11
M - Feb 14
qbm

Postby emzit » 06 Dec 2015, 09:33

I don't think its OTT at all. A chocolate a day during advent is nearly 7% of the whole year - that's quite a lot! You wouldn't do it every day in June, why should December be special? I love the advent activities because we can have that excitement and Christmas build up but also make it about spending time together rather than just eating a sweet.
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Postby ChristmasGift » 06 Dec 2015, 18:07

I think I'll definitely go for advent activities next year. I've seen a few people posting their daily activity and its so much more fun that a measly bit of chocolate!
ChristmasGift

Postby yorkshirepudding » 06 Dec 2015, 20:32

Hmm, Moo would disagree CG, he has started to ask what the activities are but the focus is chocolate! I never intended it to be chocolate every day, maybe next year when he might be more up for the activities I will restrict chocolate. Last year I mixed it up with little toys and stickers which were ignored, even found a little dinosaur left in one advent house from last year when I was filling it this time, poor thing with its neck all bent! :(
Mummy to my little Christmas pudding, Moo, December 2012 and a summer pudding, baby E born June 2015
yorkshirepudding

Postby haniyah » 08 Dec 2015, 22:56

I know this is not helpful, but I never gave my lo chocolate and not planning to any time soon and she doesn't know what she is missing. She is 22 months now and if she sees something, she needs to try it, so we just don't have any crap around the house. You will need to limit it yourself if you don't want kids to eat it, it is ok to say no, although not that easy :)
Mum, organic food lover and blogger. Teaching my baby to eat proper healthy food. Check out my blog! nofussyeaters.com/blog
haniyah

Postby mamapup » 08 Dec 2015, 23:01

Yeah good luck with that continuing! Doesn't nursery send your child home with crap? Doesn't she go to parties or see friends? For all everyone's good intentions re chocolate and biscuits etc we all have to live in the same world and our kids do too.

We all have our limits: mine are categorically not allowed boiled sugar sweets or many other actual sweets but other than that I have to be realistic about what else is going on in their world.

mamapup

Next

Return to Toddler Led Eating