How do you manage food throwing?

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

How do you manage food throwing?

Postby Mowgli » 26 Aug 2015, 10:10

What tactics do people have for dealing with food throwing, please?!
My 16 month old is a picky eater at the best of times, and when she's had enough (or doesn't like what she sees) she'll launch it from her tray or flick it on the wall. I know this is a normal developmental phase but I want to know what the best way is to discourage it. I want her to know it's not acceptable, but don't want to make a big fuss and encourage her to play up. Thanks!
Mowgli

Re: How do you manage food throwing?

Postby DandelionFrosting » 26 Aug 2015, 10:31

If you're fast enough, you can intercept the throw and turn it into something more polite. I always tried to catch the thing (or pick it up when I missed it) and calmly say, "Oh, you don't want this? Then let's put it _____." I started having a special bowl on the table for unwanted items (I'd eat the ones that were still appetizing). I think lots of babies who throw things aren't misbehaving, they're just trying to figure out what to do with things they don't want, so they generally catch on quickly.
Saurus (April 2012) wants to open all the cupboards to see the pipes.
Zilla (December 2013) is unstoppable. And really likes pizza.
Turtle (November 2015) isn't cute yet, but he's working on it.
And Mia and Oreo are my emotional support cats.
DandelionFrosting

Postby bigcatmaniac » 26 Aug 2015, 18:34

My almost 16 month is exactly the same. Coupled with fierce independence and a new found love of grown up cutlery - generally meal times in our house are:

Mum spends 20-30 mins preparing food
Baby spend 2 mins throwing it everywhere
Mum spends half an hour on her hands and knees picking / wiping the damn food up

Repeat 3 times a day.

No answers here but lots of sympathy.

Bigcat
bigcatmaniac

Postby mamapup » 26 Aug 2015, 21:04

Big cat, you have described our house perfectly except our little one is 17 months. Sympathy here too.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby ChristmasGift » 26 Aug 2015, 21:10

I did exactly what DF describes above. It worked for us though I can't remember how long it took for her to catch on.
Mama to The Babs- Aug 2012
ChristmasGift

Postby Ali70 » 26 Aug 2015, 21:17

Sproglet born April 2013
Ali70

Postby emzit » 27 Aug 2015, 07:21

In our house with a 17 month old - look stern, take it away, hide laughing faces, not succeed, toddler does it again for more laughs, repeat. Spend 10 minutes tidying after dinner.
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Postby Lilian20 » 05 Dec 2015, 07:34

My son also loved to be "expressive" with his food. I found that only giving him small amounts and waiting until he finished that before the next round. This meant that I would only give him a quarter of his sandwhich at a time, or a small portion of the meal at a time etc. This can be a little time consuming, however saves a lot of cleaning up (and restaurants appreciate your business more).

I also find now at nearly 2 he will tip his food out if I use a bowl or plate with characters on the bottom so that he can see who they are - this of course saves money as plastic plain crockery is much cheaper than the licensed character type. wink

Good luck.
Lilian20

Postby MamaKh » 11 Dec 2015, 20:55

Mother of DS1 July 2012, DS2 Sept 2015
BF, Co Sleeping, Sling, EC, BLW, Active parenting, all inspirations and aspirations
MamaKh

Postby Brigitte » 12 Dec 2015, 08:55

We used a combination of "If you don't want to eat it, put it ___" and "I see you are finished eating properly. Let's wipe you clean so you can leave the table." (I.e. throwing food = mealtime is over) If the child protests, I'd give them one extra chance to get it right, but a second incident *really* means the mealtime is over, and that's that. They get the picture soon enough.
I love my kiddos! Two April girls (2011 and 2013) and a May boy (2016). I guess we have spring babies in this family.
Brigitte

Postby Daisyhardy05 » 02 Jan 2016, 03:36

My son did the same thing at that age. As soon as he'd throw something I'd take his plate away and put it on the table and say 'no, you don't throw food. You have to watch mum eat until you can eat nicely' Or something like that. Anyway, he'd get upset and once he calmed down I'd put the food back in front of him. We just repeated it every single time he threw food. It made some meal times a bit of a struggle but it worked a treat. It didn't take very long for him to get the idea and he hasn't thrown food since.
Daisyhardy05

Return to Toddler Led Eating