Full-fat milk to semi-skimmed

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Re: Full-fat milk to semi-skimmed

Postby felizefun » 27 Jan 2015, 12:05

Dd and I have full fat and dh has semi. Dd is 4 and dinky so I'm going to give her all full fat versions for as long as possible. I like the taste of full fat. We use butter, too, and never buy margarine etc.
felizefun

Postby Rosie_t_Riveter » 27 Jan 2015, 12:19

We switched when TheBean turned 2. Mostly because I don't like full fat milk and we can share the semi. Also, we got notice from school that TheWriggler was "overweight" and it was pretty much the only thing we could do to reduce his fat intake (given that the only place he has pudding is at school :mona )
TheWriggler - Aug 2009
BabyBean - March 2012
Rosie_t_Riveter

Postby Mummyto1 » 27 Jan 2015, 12:30

Now proud Mummyto3 little crazies!
Mummyto1

Postby Kanga » 27 Jan 2015, 14:45

I don't like cream particularly so full day milk is too creamy for me especially in tea. My mum feels the same about semi skimmed so she only has skimmed.

We also use butter but dh is dairy free at the mo so he's got sunflower spread & its weird stuff. Doesn't melt properly on toast for example. I'm sure its all we had when we were growing up though :s
Mummy to 2 gorgeous munchkins who are trying to eat us out of house & home! Dd A born July 08 and ds J born June 12. V3 due October 2014.

Also selling handmade gifts etc at http://www.alittleroar.com
Kanga

Postby somerandomchick » 30 Jan 2015, 00:18

somerandomchick

Postby FestiveTidings » 30 Jan 2015, 08:41

I think the same Somerandomchick - full fat milk is healthy because although it contains fat, it actually contains typically less than 5% - making it a low fat food. And being on a PCOS diet I have to make sure I get lots of low fat and lean protein sources and milk is a easy way of doing it.

Obviously it is higher in calories so if you are counting points, calories, units, syns or whatever then you have to adjust for that.

I'm definitely going to go full fat now, and have a semi skimmed for tea :)
Mum to Roo born Feb 2011 and Wee One born April 2014 - each one a miracle.
FestiveTidings

Postby mamapup » 30 Jan 2015, 19:06

And for me it's bad as I have high cholesterol and reducing full fat milk products is an easy win. Sadly as I love butter and cheese.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby FestiveTidings » 30 Jan 2015, 19:59

oh no MP. That sucks. Of course if I was faced with the same decision then of course, full fat would have to go!
Mum to Roo born Feb 2011 and Wee One born April 2014 - each one a miracle.
FestiveTidings

Postby Kitcameron » 30 Jan 2015, 21:53

I grew up on full fat and didn't swap until I went to uni and was sharing with housemates who referred semi skimmed. I never thought about the health aspect, and didn't buy the milk anyway at home. Since SM started drinking cows milk we've been back on full fat as we tried buying both and it was cheaper to buy 4pts blue than buy 2pts of both. Glad to hear it's better for me lol.
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Postby RedRum » 01 Feb 2015, 21:14

We have semi skimmed cause I prefer it. None of us drink milk though, DH and I have it in tea and coffee and we use it for cooking and for porridge and cereal, but not as a drink. Def full fat yoghurt, cream cheese, proper butter etc. Now that I track everything I eat, I try to aim for high fat, high protein and lowish carb with minimal sugar. Most of the fat in my diet comes from Greek yoghurt, peanut butter and avocados, yum! Sorry, total tangent, but I guess I'm saying I probably personally wouldn't bother buying two types of milk as we get plenty if healthy fats from other sources, and our milk consumption is so low it probably wouldn't swing the balance to far anyway.
Mama to R (2007) and J (2015)
RedRum

Postby susiex » 11 Mar 2015, 14:31

We all have full fat milk as fresh full fat milk hast the best fats and great vitamines. Also it's a good idea to buy organic milk.
susiex

Postby Biddy » 11 Mar 2015, 20:12

As this has been bumped I'll just add that I remember reading the reason they recommend switching to semi-skimmed is because of the childhood obesity rates in the UK. Bit I can't see drinking SS milk making any difference to that really..

But I do know SS milk has more calcium. Less fat means more room for calcium I guess. For this reason I try to give my kids SS milk, but sometimes they choose full fat and that's ok. We always have both in the fridge because DH prefers full fat and I like SS.

To go back to the OP, if you prefer SS milk but want to avoid LO losing weight then Icould you try increasing yogurt consumption instead, maybe Greek yogurt?
S - Oct 2009
A - June 2011
Y - Sept 2014
Biddy

Postby pimento » 11 Mar 2015, 20:36

Thanks Biddy. His breakfast (and snack) of choice these days is Greek yogurt with raisins so I'm sure he's probably fine. Maybe it's more an emotional thing- my last baby and all that :/ Silly! He probably has most of his milk consumption at nursery where it's SS for over 2s anyway.
Big E - Jan 2011
Little E - Feb 2013
pimento

Previous

Return to Toddler Led Eating