The highs and lows of living in a bad neighbourhood

Whatever you like, really, knock yourself out... I'm not the boss of you.

The highs and lows of living in a bad neighbourhood

Postby junglewonderland » 03 Aug 2016, 10:46

We live in a bad neighborhood for several reasons; we made choices and we live with them. I used to hate it, but now I am enjoying some of the benefits along with the downsides.

The cultural diversity is amazing. The street is peaceful since our druggy neighbours moved out. Everything is close by, there are nice wide streets, the people are friendly. Koala's grammar is turning to poo as he "learns" things from his friends who are learning English mainly from the cartoons they watch for hours a day, and everyone tries to stuff him full of Coke, chocolate and bought biscuits. Oh, and crime has increased 30% in the last year.

Anyone else living on the wrong side of town? I have such a love/hate relationship with it.
Mama to Feb boys, Koala (2012) and Taz (2015).
junglewonderland

Re: The highs and lows of living in a bad neighbourhood

Postby mamapup » 03 Aug 2016, 12:55

We live in an 'up and coming neighbourhood' in South London. It's becoming very trendy and is definetly diverse although somehow we have managed to get the puppy in to the least diverse school I've seen in London (because said neighbourhood has some super posh and white bits in it).

I hate how dirty the streets are and how crappy the shops are but I love that my kids are seeing all walks of life and that I can challenge my friends' assumptions when they're rude about the local kids and I can say that I walk through big groups of them every single day and every single day, without fail, they are polite and kind...except when they're stabbing each other.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby Marrow » 03 Aug 2016, 14:00

We live on a very nice street, but the school C will be going to in September is the other side of the main road, and has a very mixed intake. We could have chosen the 'nice' school on our side of the main road, but it just didn't do it for us - all about the exams etc. We're excited about the school itself - its philosophy etc - and we're excited that C will be surrounded by people who aren't all white, many of whom speak other languages (pretty unusual in our city, which isn't exactly diverse). But I'm nervous of the social side, for me more than her (DH grew up in a roughish bit of London - he'll be fine ;) ).
Mum to a Courgette (July 2012)
Marrow

Postby ches » 03 Aug 2016, 15:57

We lived in Baltimore and J went to the school which had the distinction of having the most boarded up properties within 1/4 mile. J's school was not racially diverse, it was 98% African American. It has made him a better world citizen. Frankly, as a white male in America, the life lessons are sorely needed and I am sad that we left before T got to have the same experience. J has always been a deep thinker and extremely empathetic, whereas T is one of those white males who will cruise along making good decisions and have outstanding outcomes because he looks the part and does his best and he will embody every last bit of white male privilege, not realizing that everyone else can't just make a few good choices and get the same outcomes.
BLPT Guidelines thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4477&p=48324
ches

Postby Brigitte » 04 Aug 2016, 05:43

My neighbourhood has some sketchy qualities but it's not the worst. Diversity is great. Having my children find needles in the park not so much. However, they are well-trained about what to do when they find them! The first time one of my kids found a needle, we were near a beach and we asked the lifeguard to some dispose of it. The way that he reacted Very Seriously and some passerby parents also reacted Very Seriously and showered my daughter with Solemn Praise about having done The Right Thing...well, it certainly left an impression on my wide-eyed daughter about how very serious and important it was to do the right thing and not touch needles and tell an adult! She will never forget that lesson.
I love my kiddos! Two April girls (2011 and 2013) and a May boy (2016). I guess we have spring babies in this family.
Brigitte

Postby junglewonderland » 05 Aug 2016, 13:10

Nice to know there are people who understand! MP, your caveat is very memorable (except when they are stabbing each other).

Marrow, sounds like the school will be good for you too!

I like that way of thinking, ches. And well done to your girl, B. We have plenty of broken glass but not a needle so far.
junglewonderland

Postby junglewonderland » 05 Aug 2016, 13:11

And funny I worried about the behaviour of the kids at the rough school.....turns out my kid if the naughty one :0
junglewonderland

Return to Random Thoughts