Advice / reassurance - lo over filling mouth

Oh my God, look! Your baby is eating broccoli!
Feel free to boast about your child here.
And if it's not going so brilliantly yet? Come and have a right old whinge.

Advice / reassurance - lo over filling mouth

Postby Jadis » 14 Jul 2016, 02:20

We started BLW at 6 months & LO responded well, showing an interest & exploring food. As expected she didn't eat much to start with but we saw evidence in her nappies straight away so knew something was getting through although most hit the floor. In the last 2 months we've got two teeth & gotten better at chewing & eaten more, dropping less & progress looked good until this last week. Her new trick is to stuff more & more in her mouth until she can't swallow any of it and cries. I've tried giving her smaller peices (still doing fingers of food as her pincer grip not great yet), but then she just keeps putting more bits in. She is chewing them up, mostly, so could swallow if she put less in. To start offering her water enthusiastically helped but she's now putting so much in before she'll take it that even that's not cutting it & mostly of her food is being spat out in large semi chewed mouthfuls. She had previously managed moving food around her mouth & choosing to spit or swallow so I don't know what's gone wrong. Is this a normal phase & this too will pass, am I doing something wrong or is there anything I can do to help?
Thanks for reading
Jadis

Re: Advice / reassurance - lo over filling mouth

Postby Ali70 » 14 Jul 2016, 14:44

Hi. I guess she will ultimately work it out herself. But if you want to try and help, have you tried only giving her enough food for one mouthful? And then offering another mouthful once she's eaten that, so she doesn't have access to enough food to overfill her mouth? It would be a time consuming process, but might help her work out how much is actually manageable?
Sproglet born April 2013
Ali70

Postby lizandimo » 14 Jul 2016, 14:48

Hi! I think it's pretty normal, or at least my DD did this for quite a while. When she was older it was easier to just remind her to swallow before she puts more food in, but at a younger age, would you be able to just put 1 or 2 pieces of food on her tray at a time? It'll make meals a bit more time consuming, but at least she won't be able to stuff loads in all at once and then maybe build up to having more food on her tray. I don't remember what exactly stopped DD in the end, I think she just grew out of it (which is really unhelpful advise-wise!), although she will still (at 3) occasionally do it, especially if we're sharing food!
DD - Nov '12
lizandimo

Postby lizandimo » 14 Jul 2016, 14:50

Whoops, x-posted with Ali!
DD - Nov '12
lizandimo

Return to New to BLW?