Would you give your kid a protein smoothie?

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Would you give your kid a protein smoothie?

Postby StJuniper » 30 May 2015, 17:23

R is teething and has a sore throat or some such horrifying combination. His mouth is bothering him so much he can't even suck his thumb; he's nursed a little these past few days but today refused entirely. He's not eating much either, and is fussy about which cup he drinks from. All in all, he's not a happy camper, and is starting to lose weight. I was thinking of making him a green smoothie with a scoop of protein powder, full-fat milk, berries, and spinach. But is there any reason it might not be a food idea to give protein powder to a one-year-old? It's whey protein...
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Re: Would you give your kid a protein smoothie?

Postby Treeb » 30 May 2015, 18:36

I know their protein needs are a lot lower than ours. I'm not sure about protein powder specifically, but a while ago I looked into protein bars and I think the recommendation was that young kids should only have half a bar. I always made L's smoothies with full fat yogurt which would give some fats and protein in a more "natural" way. I've also at various times included oats, ground flax, peanut butter, frozen peas, etc, which would each add a different nutritional boost.

It's tough when they're not feeling well and won't eat! We had a phase with L where the only way we could get fluids into him was with giving him popsicles to suck on. I expressed some milk and froze that into popsicles for him. I also freeze any leftover smoothies into popsicles which he seems to enjoy.
Mama to big boy L born Sept. 2012, and baby girl A born June 2015.

http://treemama.wordpress.com/
Treeb

Postby FestiveTidings » 30 May 2015, 19:28

Again I've never given protein powder to either of mine but after bouts of illness I have gone down the loads of healthy fats rule - full fat thick yoghurt, cream, butter, nuts, avocados etc.

You could easily whizz some of those up in a smoothie?
Mum to Roo born Feb 2011 and Wee One born April 2014 - each one a miracle.
FestiveTidings

Postby emzit » 30 May 2015, 20:37

Protein powder specifically says not for kids, so no, I wouldnt.
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Postby DianeCooper » 18 Feb 2016, 11:54

I think it should be avoided for kids. I do not prefer a protein smoothie for my kid.
DianeCooper

Postby StJuniper » 18 Feb 2016, 12:03

If only you had showed up sooner, Diane! I've been giving him protein shakes all this time and he turned into a mutant!
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby mamapup » 18 Feb 2016, 17:26

Tee hee.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby bigcatmaniac » 18 Feb 2016, 21:45

My dd2 (21 months) is not really a big protein eater at the best of times and had back molars coming through - bulging gums for the last couple of months - regularly chucking her plate off the table. I've just started giving her houmous, peanut butter etc straight out the tub on a spoon for her to suck off rather than in a sandwich to chew (as it gets chucked). I've started since xmas to have homemade nut granola with full fat Greek yoghurt and chia seeds on top for brekkie - so lots of protein (and calcium) - if I give her the powdery bit of granola from the bottom of the tub with the seeds and yoghurt off my spoon, she loves it. Or a normal smoothie with same yoghurt in with chia seeds too. She loves it!

Big cat
bigcatmaniac

Return to Toddler Led Eating