Wiping for dummies

Cloth nappies, disposies, potty training... the inevitable result of BLW. What goes in, must come out.

Wiping for dummies

Postby MissKitty » 24 Jul 2015, 15:00

No, not soothers/pacifiers. I (the dummy concerned!) have absolutely no clue how to teach LO to wipe his bottom after a poop, and he starts school in September and I would like him to feel confident about doing it himself.

Any tried and trusted tips and methods? I'm really not thinking about demonstration (my inner prude kicks in), and it's incredibly difficult to know how to direct this.
Mommy to a June 2011 LO
MissKitty

Re: Wiping for dummies

Postby MamaKh » 24 Jul 2015, 22:17

Oh, relevant question! It will be a while for us to get there so i would have to think of how i learned my self...
He is old enough to talk about it and it is in his interest too, so why not talk about wiping at school, hear his thoughts and ideas and maybe suggeat to have him do it and you help guide his hand and help check afterwards that it is ok? I would say wiping while sitting is easier than standing. Wipe, look at paper and fold, redo until the paper comes back clean?
Mother of DS1 July 2012, DS2 Sept 2015
BF, Co Sleeping, Sling, EC, BLW, Active parenting, all inspirations and aspirations
MamaKh

Postby Mini B's Mummy » 25 Jul 2015, 06:39

I've just taught DS (4.5yo) to do this and it was surprisingly easy, after overcoming his initial resistance to ever doing it himself (solved with a sticker chart where he had to try hinself every time for three weeks to get a pack of Minions temporary tattoos).

I said to tear off 3 or 4 sheets, scrunch them into a ball, reach behind (while still sitting) and wipe the poo from the hole where the poo comes out (conversation I never thought I'd be having?), have a look at the paper to see if there's poo on it, then put it in the toilet. Repeat until paper comes back clean, as Mamakh says. Uses quite a lot of toilet paper at first, but he's got the hang of it quickly, with a surprising lack of skid-marks! And massively stressed the importance of hand washing, in case some gets on his hands!
DS Mini B born Dec 2010
DD Micro Beans born Dec 2012
DD Nanobeans born Jun 2016
Mini B's Mummy

Postby MissKitty » 25 Jul 2015, 07:38

Thankyou! Minions rewards will work here too. Guaranteed. He even has Minion pants.

LO (being AS) has a shorter window for focus so I can now see how we can adapt the process to his particular needs, and I suspect a social story (icky though that will be for me, the author!) will be needed. I can also envisage a scientific investigation into poo hole territory, as LO must understand every.single.aspect of an experience. This may be what fills me with fear and dread!

Shame nobody is doing Minions loo roll...
Mommy to a June 2011 LO
MissKitty

Postby MamaKh » 25 Jul 2015, 18:41

Hm... there is a book on the subject that was popular when my sister was little (28 yrs now) and still is a hit with new editions. "Bajsboken" or "the Poobook" it covers pretty much every aspect (but wiping...) with poo as fertilizer,that it smells,some find it funny, in some places houses are built from poo,how the toilet and drain works and ends w a little poo song. Sadly i dont think this bestseller is translated to English but would otherwise do some of the work for you! It might even be available in iTunes! The book is misplaced right now but i could post a link later if you'd like some inspiration! :D
Mother of DS1 July 2012, DS2 Sept 2015
BF, Co Sleeping, Sling, EC, BLW, Active parenting, all inspirations and aspirations
MamaKh

Postby Kitcameron » 25 Jul 2015, 19:25

You can get minions k-roll from poundworldplus

I would post the link but it has the k word in it.

Or buy one of these, from the same website

http://www.poundworldplus.co.uk/buy/min ... 0_4209.htm

We started off using tissues from a box first anyway as they came out in individual pieces rather than SM pulling loads off the roll like th Andrew puppy.
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Postby Where'stheMistletoe » 25 Jul 2015, 20:28

Hmm, I hadn't really thought about this but we probably need to do the same with Wriggles before school starts. I assume once they're in reception they need to be able to do this?
Mummy to gorgeous wriggly baby boy (Jan 11) and beautiful baby girl (Oct 13)
Where'stheMistletoe

Postby mamapup » 25 Jul 2015, 21:56

We hadn't thought either. We are a year behind but may as well give it a try. Thanks for the push.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby MissKitty » 26 Jul 2015, 14:05

I am getting Minions tissues for me - sod my child! :D A guy at work had banana tictacs in a Minion case this week. That's on my mission list too...

There were some eye openers when we went for our Reception parents evening. It was emphasised it would be nice if our kids could dress/undress themselves, eat with cutlery, wash hands after toilet and clean themselves after going. I was sat going "tick, tick, tick... heck..." and we have been putting it off. But now I have his uniform all ready but for name labels, the wiping is all that's left to deal with (apart from, of course, the true challenge of LO making it through a day at school without injuring/deafening anyone else or himself!)
Mommy to a June 2011 LO
MissKitty

Return to The Bottom Line