Calcium and iron (I know - an actual weaning related q)

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Calcium and iron (I know - an actual weaning related q)

Postby bigcatmaniac » 02 Jun 2015, 19:38

My dd2 turned one 3 weeks ago today. And it was like someone flicked a switch and told her to stop drinking formula. I thought at first if was because I started trying to introduce cows milk mixed in with it, so I've stopped that and gone back to just formula. But she pushes that away too without even tasting it. She has upped her bf again (now 4 or 5 per day/night) but just at a time I was hoping to drop down to first thing and bedtime only. She's also not eating a huge amount yet apart from porridge, fruit, turkey meatballs, breadsticks and yoghurt, rice pudding or custard. She only eats peas and sweet corn for veg. She refuses most bread forms (apart from breadsticks). She is offered but doesn't like / eat baked beans, eggs, fish, cheese, broccoli - so all the things really that are good for calcium. To replace the lost milk, I am now giving her more yoghurt / milk puddings / ice cream each day than 3 weeks ago but I'm getting bored with the lack of variety and I'm wondering what on earth I'll give her if she gets bored too. So I am on the lookout for ideas for other calcium (and iron) rich things so I can cut back the bf and not feel guilty. Having just looked up a quick google search I could be using almonds, tofu, white beans (perhaps as a dip - she likes houmous), oranges, more. I'm not sure she's eat leafy greens - she usually leaves them.

Hit me with any other ideas too.

I'm not too concerned yet - as I say she is still having plenty of milk from me. But I want to stop feeding her soon and I'm concerned she'll take a nutrient nose dive when I do.

Thanks

Bigcat
bigcatmaniac

Re: Calcium and iron (I know - an actual weaning related q)

Postby EnigmaFish » 02 Jun 2015, 21:19

This appears to be my go-to answer for everything these days, but...

tahini?
v1.0: Kleintje, born January 2012.
v2.0: Newt, born July 2014.
EnigmaFish

Postby yorkshirepudding » 02 Jun 2015, 21:38

Radio 4 (source of all my knowledge these days) said seaweed is a good source of calcium and other exciting things, but not too much or you get too much iodine and other nutrients (sorry bit vague!). Advice was to have it once/ twice a week, maybe something that could go in porridge?

If she likes dips, almond butter maybe mixed with something as it would be a bit dry on its own I think.

Dried apricots for iron. Fortified cereal with yoghurt?

But yes, tahini seems to cover it all!
Mummy to my little Christmas pudding, Moo, December 2012 and a summer pudding, baby E born June 2015
yorkshirepudding

Postby bigcatmaniac » 03 Jun 2015, 06:03

Thanks - will try some tahini. I've been giving her breadsticks with sesame seeds on and when she does have noodles from a stir fry I've usually put sesame seeds and oil in there too - so I know she likes the taste. And it's in houmous too obviously. Might need to make a dip with it though - maybe with Greek yoghurt. Have tried almond butter before - spread on rice cakes, oatcakes, breadsticks dipped in it etc but she wasn't interested. Granted it was a couple of months ago so I should maybe try again. Might try baking with it instead. Any recipes greatly received. Thanks

Bigcat
bigcatmaniac

Postby Raktajino » 03 Jun 2015, 09:54

Tinned fish? Mackerel in tomarto sauce on toast or stired through pasta. Probably quite salty though. You can also get orange juice fortified with calcium
Mum to Sausage, born July 2011
Raktajino

Postby EnigmaFish » 03 Jun 2015, 18:09

She likes porridge, right? Mix some tahini into her porridge. I put a teaspoon into mine and Newt's. Maybe introduce it gradually so that she doesn't notice the change in taste.
v1.0: Kleintje, born January 2012.
v2.0: Newt, born July 2014.
EnigmaFish

Postby bigcatmaniac » 03 Jun 2015, 18:44

Will try the tahini in porridge tomorrow. Got some today. Tried a chia seed pudding today with lots of fruit in it but think she has developed quite a sweet tooth already (due to copious amounts of yoghurt / custard / rice pud) so she didn't have much. Squeezed some of that into her porridge too when she wasn't looking. She hates fish unfortunately. Tried a mackerel pasta bake thing the other night and she wouldn't eat any of it - even the pasta. Not sure about giving her juice - she likes oranges though so will give her some whole instead of juiced first, I think. Thanks guys. Bigcat
bigcatmaniac

Postby Treeb » 03 Jun 2015, 18:53

I've tried chia seed pudding with L and he's not a fan, but he loves chia seeds sprinkled on top of a bowl of yogurt. Might be worth a try. I also mix them into my own oatmeal, but he's not a fan of that either.
Mama to big boy L born Sept. 2012, and baby girl A born June 2015.

http://treemama.wordpress.com/
Treeb

Postby pimento » 03 Jun 2015, 19:36

I like this leaflet someone once sign-posted me to when Big E dropped her bottles too http://www.nnuh.nhs.uk/docs%5Cleaflets%5C197.pdf
Big E - Jan 2011
Little E - Feb 2013
pimento

Postby bigcatmaniac » 04 Jun 2015, 04:36

Thanks pimento - this is really useful. My hv gave me a leaflet but it is no where near as detailed as this. X
bigcatmaniac

Postby bigcatmaniac » 04 Jun 2015, 13:28

Not sure the tahini porridge was a hit. She spent most of breakfast scraping it off her tongue. And I just put a tiny amount in. Onward and upwards - making tahini brownies later to see if that'll tempt her.
bigcatmaniac

Postby bigcatmaniac » 11 Jun 2015, 18:40

Well LO has decided to completely shown me up over the last week by eating bread, eggs, broccoli and wolfing down tahini cookies. Tonight she even grabbed a bottle of cows milk from her sister (who rarely asks for it these days) and downed most of it. This is the child who a week ago was throwing all these things off the high chair whenever offered, untouched. Note to self - #trustyourbabytofeedherself!
bigcatmaniac

Postby yorkshirepudding » 11 Jun 2015, 20:30

Lol bigcat, just goes to show! Glad she is proving capable of getting what she needs, hope you can relax now :)
Mummy to my little Christmas pudding, Moo, December 2012 and a summer pudding, baby E born June 2015
yorkshirepudding

Return to Toddler Led Eating