BFing - one side or both?

Second babies? Forgotten everything about breast and formula, napping and wrapping and you are are going a bit MAD because you haven't slept in three days? Or it's your first baby and you are here researching the joys of weaning?

BFing - one side or both?

Postby Lily » 17 Apr 2015, 13:21

Bit of a random question, but I noticed in one of the millions of leaflets I've been given that it says babies get more nourishment from 5 mins on each breast than from 10 mins on one. The context was that if your newborn is too sleepy to stay awake for a long feed (I wish!), you should be swapping sides midway through. But I'm sure I remember being told the opposite with Izbiz - better to get them to stay on one side for longer, so they can get more hind milk.

Any thoughts? Bee is a cluster-feeder so usually awake for ages, and if anything my problem is oversupply so I don't want to swap her over too frequently. I just thought the contradiction was odd.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Re: BFing - one side or both?

Postby yorkshirepudding » 17 Apr 2015, 13:49

Hmmm, I always read about keeping them on one side until they'd finished so they get the hind milk, surely if you swap that quick they'd get all foremilk each time. Unless they've drained 1 breast after 5 mins! And also maybe more likely to get colic if you swap them over quickly, as they're getting all the fast flow and probably taking in more air. Bizarre conradiction!
Mummy to my little Christmas pudding, Moo, December 2012 and a summer pudding, baby E born June 2015
yorkshirepudding

Postby Fish&Chips » 17 Apr 2015, 16:34

Also when u swap too quickly it's more possible to create an imbalance between fore and hind milk (which results in green poo if I remember correctly). It took me a while to figure out when the breast is empty and I used to swap C after some 20 mins I think, but actually that was too early and the breast was still not empty. He got green poos for a while until I googled it and found I swap boobs too quick...
Mummy to gorgeous boy since Dec 2012
Fish&Chips

Postby mamapup » 17 Apr 2015, 17:50

I know our mums will have been told to swap sides pretty quickly but I was told better to empty one side than give too much fore milk.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby Treeb » 17 Apr 2015, 18:25

I usually tried to follow L's lead with this. When he was tiny he preferred to nurse on only one side for a longer time, when he was bigger he liked to switch sides. I agree that a longer time on one side makes a lot more sense for getting the full spectrum of milk that is produced over the length of a feed.
Mama to big boy L born Sept. 2012, and baby girl A born June 2015.

http://treemama.wordpress.com/
Treeb

Postby Lily » 17 Apr 2015, 19:07

Glad it's not just me - the leaflet had me thoroughly puzzled!
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby junglewonderland » 17 Apr 2015, 20:48

It depends on the mother and baby. All going well, it's better to drain one breast before switching to the other. But if the baby is sleepy, or not a strong sucker, or you need to increase your supply, it's better to switch more frequently as the baby will get more milk for the effort as she gets faster flow at the start of each feed. Hth!
Mama to Feb boys, Koala (2012) and Taz (2015).
junglewonderland

Postby DandelionFrosting » 18 Apr 2015, 00:41

I also thought the quick switch was more about increasing supply than what the baby gets to eat. That's how I got myself a massive oversupply with Saurus. Green cappuccino diapers and LOTS of miserable sleep -- not fun! The second time around one side at a time worked just fine.
Saurus (April 2012) wants to open all the cupboards to see the pipes.
Zilla (December 2013) is unstoppable. And really likes pizza.
Turtle (November 2015) isn't cute yet, but he's working on it.
And Mia and Oreo are my emotional support cats.
DandelionFrosting

Postby Turtle'sMammy » 18 Apr 2015, 01:08

I had oversupply, so block fed. One side per feeding. It's only recently that A has been insisting on both sides, but she's nearly 3.
Mother to T, July 2008 & A, June 2012
http://turtleturtleturtle.wordpress.com/
Turtle'sMammy

Postby Brigitte » 18 Apr 2015, 17:43

With my firstborn, she would fall asleep on boob #1, then I would wake her up to finish boob #2. Lord knows why, I just figured I was supposed to do both at one feeding. Luckily I very quickly realized "eff this" and became a one boob per feeding woman, unless the baby for some reason was still awake and hungry after draining one. My second child close to age 2 suddenly started saying "All done this one! Nurse that one!" so now I'm a two-boob mama as per her requests.

I agree with most of the comments here about hind milk and draining one breast and supply.
I love my kiddos! Two April girls (2011 and 2013) and a May boy (2016). I guess we have spring babies in this family.
Brigitte

Postby Marrow » 18 Apr 2015, 18:41

My impression is that many worry too much about this. It might have been a problem back in the day when mothers were told five mins on each breast every four hours and no more, but as long as you are demand feeding and letting them come off themselves, it's big a problem. The Kellymom page looks like it has some useful links at the bottom: http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/basics/ ... -hindmilk/
Mum to a Courgette (July 2012)
Marrow

Return to Birth to BLW