Butternut macaroni cheese

Post them up and every so often I'll snaffle them and put them on the blog, if that's okay? It'll save you the trouble of emailing them to me. (It will mean you lose out on our charming personal interaction but I sense you can live with that.)

Butternut macaroni cheese

Postby Kitcameron » 26 Nov 2014, 14:02

Hi all,

Just thought I'd share this recipe with you as I think it's fairly healthy and hopefully a good way to get some new veg into my toddler without her noticing and immediately rejecting it.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1742 ... oni-cheese

I've mashed all my butternut squash up and mixed it into the cheese sauce and I didn't weigh anything so it mightn't taste anything like the original, but hey ho. SM has never been into butternut squash so I'm hoping, masked by all the cheese, she'll like this. It wasn't meant to be quite so cheesey I just got carried away with the grater lol

Anyway, it tastes good to me. I'm not really a fan of BNS either but I like this and I've made loads more sauce than I need so I can freeze that and have it again. Think I might freeze it in small portions so I can just thaw out and reheat a potion for SM to dip in. She loves dipping and I think she'd just see this as cheese sauce, I won't stress then if she doesn't eat the dippers lol.
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Re: Butternut macaroni cheese

Postby Lily » 26 Nov 2014, 17:30

Brilliant idea, thanks KC! We got a butternut squash in the veg box again last week, and DH and I both find it too sweet as a plain veg, but this sounds good.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby mamapup » 26 Nov 2014, 17:51

Good idea. I normally put cauliflower and broccoli in mine, might try this.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby Kitcameron » 28 Nov 2014, 15:01

Well, SM didn't really eat it a a dipping sauce but maybe with pasta later. CM, on the other hand, couldn't get enough of it lol.

I normally use cauliflower and brocolli too but this is also good. I also discovered you could buy it frozen so I don't have to use a whole one all at once, bonus!
Kitcameron

Postby EnigmaFish » 01 May 2015, 18:41

I'm resurrecting an old thread pq I have a pile of children to feed (seven) and one of them is vegetarian. I was thinking about making this. It's big and easy and everyone can eat it.
My question is, do you think I could use pumpkin instead of butternut squash? KC, you said you puréed the squash. I like this idea, and I have some tinned pumpkin I need to use up. Would it work in this dish, or would that dramatically alter the flavour?
v1.0: Kleintje, born January 2012.
v2.0: Newt, born July 2014.
EnigmaFish

Postby Treeb » 01 May 2015, 18:53

I haven't tried this recipe, but I would think that would work fine EF! I always consider pumpkin and butternut interchangeable anyway, and I'm sure I've also seen recipes for pumpkin mac and cheese.
Mama to big boy L born Sept. 2012, and baby girl A born June 2015.

http://treemama.wordpress.com/
Treeb

Postby Kitcameron » 01 May 2015, 20:18

Tbh I don't often cook with butternut squash and never pumpkin as I'm not a fan so I don't know but I imagine it'd be ok.

I'll have to try this again as it was tasty. I'm trying to have one net free day a week so this would be a good meal for then, stop me having risotto every week lol.
Kitcameron

Postby EnigmaFish » 02 May 2015, 17:20

Oh KC, I'm actually doing a pumpkin risotto tonight. I'll let you know how it goes.
I'm going to try this recipe, with the pumpkin, on Wednesday.
EnigmaFish

Postby mamapup » 02 May 2015, 18:39

We had sweet potato pasta bake inspired by this thread. Not a massive hit but not bad, everyone ate but no one loved.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby Benedict » 21 May 2015, 05:55

Great one, amazing and great idea. Thanks for sharing.
Benedict

Postby Kitcameron » 21 May 2015, 13:38

I tried adding some parsnips to this as we had some that needed eating, it didn't work lol.
Kitcameron

Postby EnigmaFish » 22 May 2015, 21:41

Yeah, I can't imagine parsnips would be good!
I made this on Wednesday for a group of seven kids and two adults. The five toddler-aged children didn't even try it. The adults (including me) liked it, as did the two babies.
It really is true that the amount of effort you put into something directly affects whether they eat it.
I used tinned pumpkin. It integrated into the sauce really well, and kept it from being too heavy. Chunks of roasted squash, as called for, might make it completely different.
EnigmaFish

Postby SusanMcGee » 20 Jul 2016, 08:50

Harvest Moon Mac & Cheese
Ingredients
• 1 pound macaroni
• 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 medium onion, finely chopped
• 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
• 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, finely chopped or parsley
• 1-2 tablespoons butter
• 1-2 tablespoons all-purpose four
• 1 ½ cups chicken stock
• 1 cup milk
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
• Nutmeg, grated to taste
• 1 (10-ounce) box frozen butternut squash, defrosted
• A few dashes hot sauce
• 1 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
• 1/2 cup extra-sharp yellow Cheddar
• 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
Directions
Bring water to a boil, season with salt and cook macaroni to al dente. Preheat broiler and place rack in middle of the oven.
Heat the extra-virgin olive oil in a sauce pot over medium heat, saute onions and garlic until soft, 6 to 7 minutes and stir in the thyme.
Scoot onions off to side of pan and melt butter, whisk flour into butter and combine whisk 1 minute then whisk in stock and milk, season sauce with salt, pepper and nutmeg, and cook until thickened, about 3 to 4 minutes.
Stir in butternut squash and a few dashes hot sauce. Reduce heat. When sauce comes to a bubble, stir in Parmigiano. Combine the sauce and macaroni, transfer to a casserole dish and top with shredded yellow Cheddar, chopped parsley and paprika. Brown the macaroni under broiler, 4 to 5 minutes until brown and bubbly
SusanMcGee

Return to Recipes