First Christmas? What did you do for...

Oh look, it's broadly a place to talk about special occasions, party tips and to swap present ideas but let's be perfectly honest, this forum is here because I want to get excited about CHRIIIIIISTMAS from about June onwards.

First Christmas? What did you do for...

Postby pookiecub » 16 Sep 2014, 15:17

It will be my little girls first Christmas this year, she will be about 10 months old.

I was wondering what people did for their babies. I want to buy her lots of things, but lots of them are FAR too big for her and I want to save them for a Christmas when she will actually be understanding and excited about getting things (like a play house, art easel, trike etc) but I feel a bit mean saying all we are getting her is the Something Special DVD set and a Mr Tumble doll, a new JellyCat dragon, a few clothes (custom printed, Jurassic Park vest saying Clever Girl!) and a few other bath toy bits.

I'm more excited about her trying special food, watching her get into everything, she loves paper so wrappings are going to be more fun than most presents I think.

I want to get her a nice outfit and get some particular photos, but not sure what else "goes" for first Christmas.
pookiecub

Re: First Christmas? What did you do for...

Postby Kanga » 16 Sep 2014, 15:24

I think what you're planning sounds fine. My 2 were both 6 months for their first Christmases and it things like stacking cups/shape sorter/books etc. their stockings had flannels/toothbrushes/bath toys etc in.

This new one is only going to be about 8 weeks so I think we may get a few books but not much else. I've got some things like plates/cup etc to put in a stocking in preparation for weaning at Easter, but that is more so the other 2 don't think Father Christmas has forgotten the baby!! ;)
Mummy to 2 gorgeous munchkins who are trying to eat us out of house & home! Dd A born July 08 and ds J born June 12. V3 due October 2014.

Also selling handmade gifts etc at http://www.alittleroar.com
Kanga

Postby Ali70 » 16 Sep 2014, 15:50

We ended up buying Sproglet very little for her first Christmas as we had a list and by the time our families had bought all their presents from it there was nothing left! We figured as she had no idea what was going on we'd rather save the money and use it to buy things as she needed them, rather than waste it on stuff she didn't need at that time. I did get her a nice dress to wear for Christmas Day and we bought a lovely Christmas stocking to use every year.

Sproglet was 8 months at Christmas and from memory the best gifts she got were books, stacking cups, shape sorter, truck with building blocks in that she could use as a walker, ball and clothes.
Sproglet born April 2013
Ali70

Postby pirate_han » 16 Sep 2014, 16:02

B was 10 months at her first Christmas. We got her pretty much what you suggest, and compromised and got her a Le Toy van Honeybake k-room (they're tiny!) until she was big enough for a normal toy k-room. That was more for our pleasure than hers, she didn't know what was going on. She did love Christmas dinner though!

I have a friend who got her under-1 a giant cardboard box, wrapped it for her to unwrap and left it at that. I'm quite sure her DD had just as much fun as mine!
B - March 12
A - January 15
pirate_han

Postby StJuniper » 16 Sep 2014, 19:44

We only get each other one gift and the boys get a gift from each of us, regardless of age. P got a fox doll from daddy and clothes from mummy his first Christmas, and mini-hockey nets/sticks from Daddy and a hand-me-down iPod from Mummy (loaded up with his favourite songs) for his second Christmas. R was only 10 days old and got some books that have so far been more used by P.

I a thinking of only doing handmade gifts from me from now on. With grandparents and such they get overloaded with stuff; I want to go for quality, not quantity.
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby Treeb » 16 Sep 2014, 19:53

I think what you have planned sounds perfect.

L was 3.5 months old for his first Christmas. We got him a few books and a couple other small things. Family got him more books, some dvds for when he's older, bath toys, blocks, and some other things I'm probably not remembering.

Last year he was 15.5 months and the combination of what we had gotten him and what he was given by family was way too much. After opening just two or three things he had had "enough" and lost interest in opening things, he was way more interested in the tree, the paper, the festivities, family, etc. We actually ended up splitting his presents up and having him open the rest a few days after Christmas. I would definitely save your bigger items for a few years from now, and just give the things that are actually going to be used or played with.
Mama to big boy L born Sept. 2012, and baby girl A born June 2015.

http://treemama.wordpress.com/
Treeb

Postby mamapup » 16 Sep 2014, 21:32

The puppy was.six months old and we gave him a few toys we would habe given him.anyway as he needed new ones. He loved.the whole event of family and.trees.and unwrapping...possibly more at six months than at 18 months!

Little croc will be nine months this year and if we decide we.have space, we are.going to give thema joint present of a.toy kroom. He will love it now and she will eventually. And then a few.bits and pieces.for her but being nnumber two, we.dont need more.toys.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby lizandimo » 16 Sep 2014, 22:16

What you are planning sounds great to me. DD was only 8 weeks for her first Christmas so from us all she got was a couple little car seat type toys and some clothes that she needed - she had no idea what was going on, but I felt a bit mean if we didn't get her anything! Last Christmas she was 13 months so she got a few more things, but still only little like books, clothes, bath toys etc. I definitely think waiting til they're older for bigger presents is more fun. Even this year I'm not sure if she'll really get the idea or not! She is getting an easel for her birthday so we'll see how that goes over.
DD - Nov '12
lizandimo

Postby Lioncub's mama » 17 Sep 2014, 09:37

E was 2 days old for christmas last year so this year his first birthday and his almost first christmas come together - i've no idea what we'll get him, especially as we have far too much stuff from lioncub already!

What you have planned sounds great though!

MP - E is almost 9 months now and LOVES lioncub's toy kroom - he loves standing and twiddling the dials, and opening and shutting the oven door. And thry've started playing on it together now which is lovely :)
Lioncub (P) - August 2011
Baby brother (E) - December 2013
Lioncub's mama

Postby StJuniper » 17 Sep 2014, 12:54

Lioncub's mama wrote:E was 2 days old for christmas last year so this year his first birthday and his almost first christmas come together - i've no idea what we'll get him, especially as we have far too much stuff from lioncub already!

I'm thinking of giving R a day with just me. Might be the thing he appreciates most.
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby pookiecub » 17 Sep 2014, 13:09

I'm glad I'm not thinking so far off what most people do.

Been horrified by some things I have seen online and thought it was nonsense to go so overboard with her.

I think I am more excited about allowing her to try some homemade shortbread as her first taste of biscuits and tasty things like roast potatoes, parsnips and turkey!
pookiecub

Postby emzit » 18 Sep 2014, 02:34

Muncher was 4months at his first Christmas and we did books and a few other bits and stuff he needed like sunglasses and a bumbo. Squish will be 9 months and is getting a walker toy and books and some clothes probably some cutlery. I've just started to work off the 'want, need, wear, read' theory so they will both get something from each of those categories and a combination of from us and Santa.

Edited to also say definitely hold off bigger stuff until she's older and interested. It's a bit disheartening to get them something you think they'll like and they aren't bothered. We got muncher a scooter for Christmas last year as he was always eyeing them up but he's barely used it. The bike he got in January though has been immensely popular.
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Postby Kitcameron » 18 Sep 2014, 06:15

Little G was three months and we bought her a jumperoo to have when she was a couple of months older. Lots of people bought her little things like rattles, teething etc, my parents bought her a swing chair, can't remember what anyone else bought her. As her birthday is Sept though we asked for a few things we new she'd be ready for a bit later and then kept them for her til she was ready.

Baby D has a much more sensible birthday (some might say it was our fault G has a Sept birthday and therefore has to wait ages between Christmas and birthday lol) in June so that won't be as much an issue for her. I have no idea what we'll get her though as we have so much stuff from G anyway.
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Postby pookiecub » 19 Sep 2014, 14:13

I'm happy with what I'm planning then I think, I have spoken with my husband and we both think this is going to be ok. Not sure what she will be getting from family, my husbands family is quite big and our little girl is the first of this "new generation" so we got quite lovely gifts when she was born, so we shall wait and see.
pookiecub

Postby Where'stheMistletoe » 20 Sep 2014, 19:28

Lioncub's mama wrote:MP - E is almost 9 months now and LOVES lioncub's toy kroom - he loves standing and twiddling the dials, and opening and shutting the oven door. And thry've started playing on it together now which is lovely :)
Was just going to post exactly this! She spends hours stood there opening and closing the doors and taking everything in and out of it!
Mummy to gorgeous wriggly baby boy (Jan 11) and beautiful baby girl (Oct 13)
Where'stheMistletoe

Return to Christmas/Birthdays/High Days and Holidays