Cutlery regression?

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Cutlery regression?

Postby ChristmasGift » 17 Mar 2014, 20:10

The Babs has been insistent on eating with cutlery for weeks now. She will revert to fingers if somethings too tricky but usually tries really hard with her cutlery first. However the last few days she's pretty much ignored the cutlery and gone straight in with the fingers. I am not bothered, just wondered if it was common? She's eating lots (for her) at the moment so I guess her hunger is overriding her desire to practice cutlery skills.
Mama to The Babs- Aug 2012
ChristmasGift

Re: Cutlery regression?

Postby SparklePetal » 17 Mar 2014, 21:35

Sounds pretty normal to me! I have seen lots of people on here mention how at times the need to feed will outweigh the desire to gain skills with tools :D
Mum to DD Snow White (30/11/08) and DS Bluebird (13/09/11)
<><
http://sparklepetal.wordpress.com
SparklePetal

Postby Sallie » 17 Mar 2014, 21:37

Very often I've been putting away cutlery unused because babycob has been using her fingers. And she's almost 3 and a half!
Mum to BabyCob, born October 2010 and Babybel, born September 2013
Sallie

Postby Den » 17 Mar 2014, 21:43

We also are reverting to finger use more often, at nearly 3, I think it's cos she can now confidently use it so it isn't a challenge anymore so there us no point when fingers are just as / more efficient if that makes sense.
I'm hoping us modelling cutlery use will just mean that eventually she will always use it.
Den

Postby Eriksmom » 20 Mar 2014, 22:56

Erik does this too now. He's great at using forks and spoons, at daycare they are really impressed, but recently he tries fingers first again. I encourage using spoons for yoghurt and porrigde, but when he picks up broccoli with his fingers, i just silently cheer because he's eating at dinner and it's something healty :mona
Eriksmom

Return to Toddler Led Eating