Keeping children active in winter

For all ye runners, shredders, dieters and sneaky custard creamers...

Re: Keeping children active in winter

Postby CherryPop » 04 Feb 2014, 13:03

blackberrycrimble wrote:Sounds awesome. No garage. :(

I excited myself with the idea, but our garage is full of Crap. Mountains of the stuff.

Do you know what though, both your girls look awesome. They're normal, healthy girls. I really wouldn't get too hung up or worried about it. It'll be spring/summer before you know it, and there'll be loads more options, lighter evenings and better weather to do things in. This is the worst time of year for motivation/exhaustion for adults, so it seems natural that it would be similar for children. Make the most of weekends and holidays, and let her rest when she needs to, I'm sure that'll be far more healthy in the long run.
Mama to J born 10.3.09 and BabyPie born 21.11.12
Blogging: http://mynameis-beth.blogspot.com
CherryPop

Postby Seriously_Nutty » 04 Feb 2014, 13:11

Always helpful..... :wink: Kat has seen the light so clearly I talk sense.....

Besides it's a 'moderate' issue so surely only 'moderate' change is required. There's no need to crack a nut with a sledgehammer after all.... You don't need to suddenly start introducing all manner of after school actives IMHO. Just take their scooters and scoot home if it allows them to play around the park a bit more...

You can be very fit and healthy but still register as overweight on a government chart so follow your instincts and try not to worry too much.
“You can learn many things from children. How much patience you have, for instance.” - Franklin P. Jones
Seriously_Nutty

Postby StJuniper » 04 Feb 2014, 13:17

P sometimes plays balance beam indoors on a length of 2x4 or a strip of masking tape. I've seen on Pinterest to make a "web" of masking tape for kids to navigate.

I'm terrible, P has been outside like, four times this winter. But it really is too cold for R to be outside and I didn't have the energy in my last two months of pregnancy.
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby Tintin » 04 Feb 2014, 13:27

blackberrycrimble wrote:Tintin, wow that's a lot of activities! We do swimming and at the moment that is it. Fluff used to do football but decided she didn't want to continue (too much being told what to do). She is down for Forest school after half term (not available to S in reception). But she isn't the problem, she doesn't ever sit still. S has shown an interest in football club so was thinking after Easter when the next course starts she could do that.

But thinking about it, the big problem is that she is 4, and until she went to school she was still sleeping in the day a couple of times a week. She is shattered after school. By the end of the week she can barely walk home from school without a meltdown. She gets in and just wants to sit down and have stories or look at books (or watch tv but we limit that). So perhaps I am being unrealistic and it is the weekends we need to focus on.

I KNOW!!!! But she wants to do them all - and more! She's desperate for me to find her a gymnastics class, but I've told her she'd have to stop one of the other things first.
Swimming is first thing on a Sunday morning, so doesn't feel like a big deal - we just get up and go straight out the door instead of lazing around in PJs.
Football is an after-school club on the same night as Rainbows, so I pick her up from football at 4.30, get her changed into Rainbows stuff then we sit in the car and have a snack and Rainbows starts at 5!

I think you're right about not trying too much during the week. It's a bit like the salt thing - the fact that you're aware of it, probably means your LOs will be OK! There will be plenty of time for running around when the weather improves and the nights get lighter, and S settles in to school more - it's still very early on and she's still only 4. None of the after school clubs are open to Reception children in our school, just Y1 onwards.
DD1 Stompy, home-birthed Feb 08
DD2 Squeak, home-birthed March 11
Tintin

Postby blackberrycrimble » 04 Feb 2014, 13:33

Yet again I am reminded how they are all different. I don't think Fluff has ever asked to do an after school activity that wasn't suggested to her (she asks to do things like start up a hairdressers instead, that was this morning's idea...). So mostly I wait until they ask to do something!

Yes, you are all right, I'm overplanning and overthinking again, thank you. A bit of scooting and making sure we are getting out a lot at the weekend is the place to start.
My peas are gone as well as my marbles.
blackberrycrimble

Postby A_W » 04 Feb 2014, 13:37

If she has meltdowns after school I'd forget the idea of an activity planner and just go with the flow. If it's nice after school go to the park for a bit. But otherwise, go home. At weekends go swimming once or have a nice walk. I'm sure in a few months you can review this and add more things but I think you should stop worrying and trying too hard. Lots of children sprout upwards around 5-6 age. Several of H's friends who were a bit larger in FS2 are now are much taller and skinnier this year. They do more at school and I think we expect too much of such lo's.

H does PE twice a week at school and one lot of multi skills in lunchtime on one of those days too. She has Tuesday's and Friday's with nothing. Wednesday is cookery club and Thursday is gymnastics. Saturday is swimming lessons. There is no way we could do any more. That's 4 days a week with specific exercise. She runs around the playground 3 times a day too and always runs around in the am and pm at drop off/ pick up. If we were to add anything it would be a musical instrument lesson. Sundays are rest and homework day and in the nicer months we go for walks.

Do you have to get them to wear clothes that are much bigger in age size? Are they so tight they can't wear them?
H - big school girl - April 08
A - my gorgeous boy - Jan 11
A_W

Postby blackberrycrimble » 04 Feb 2014, 13:48

After Easter S will be allowed into the main playground at break times. Our school keeps them in their reception play area (which is well equipped but not for full on haring around) until then, mostly, which does annoy me a bit. Last year F needed to burn off energy before that, and now S could benefit from it.

A_W, thanks. It is just S who is a bit bigger than she should be. fluff is a lean mean bouncing machine. Sybil is 5 next month, and is currently wearing 4-5 and 5-6 clothes. She still fits into 4-5 but if I'm buying for her now I buy 5-6. Which is the same size F wears mostly. I know that half the issue is that I see them side by side. S is shorter but weighs more.

Eta she is 75th percentile for height so some of it is just that she is taller than average too.
My peas are gone as well as my marbles.
blackberrycrimble

Postby busmother » 04 Feb 2014, 13:53

busmother wrote:Bouncing on the bed. Or the sofa. Or sofa cushions on the floor if I've noticed the bouncing on the sofa.
Indoor obstacle courses, with beanbags to balance on heads, throw into boxes, stepping stone cushions etc.
Good waterproofs, and going out and jumping in puddles, or anything you'd do outside if it wasn't raining.
Go to the beach (sorry - ours is only 10min walk away, so we do this a lot. May not be feasible for everyone).

Oh dear I'm my mother. No bouncing on beds (I might allow on theirs but they are midsleepers so that's dangerous) or sofa allowed here.

I don't actually allow bouncing on the sofa. But that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. And mine are still a good bit smaller and we have a kingsize bed, so they usually have a good half hour workout in the mornings (while I'm still in it), bouncing, sliding down my knee mountain etc. But I can see that in a few years' time, this may not be such a good option.
Mother to twin buses, born 2010, and number 3, born 2015
busmother

Postby CherryPop » 04 Feb 2014, 14:16

DS is 5 in March and has been in 5-6 since a big growth spurt in Oct/Nov time. I don't know if they've done the measuring thing at school but we haven't had a letter. He's always been above the 98th centile, and nobody has ever mentioned anything about his weight (although looking back through his red book, the HVs always wrote 'Excellent weight gain noted' which I now wonder if it was code for 'Blimey, keep an eye on this one!'). I recently put him back onto full-fat milk/yoghurt/peanut butter etc as he'd lost weight when I weighed him on the Wii fit board (though I don't know how accurate that is). In light of the recent stuff about full-fat things I'm glad I did that regardless.

All that blathering is just me trying to further say don't stress too much about it ;)
Mama to J born 10.3.09 and BabyPie born 21.11.12
Blogging: http://mynameis-beth.blogspot.com
CherryPop

Postby A_W » 04 Feb 2014, 17:23

A bit of extra weight is essential in Yorkshire for keeping warm in the winter. I'm sure S will make up for it in the summer. I'm also very shocked that S_N did not suggest a trampoline!!!!! :-)
H - big school girl - April 08
A - my gorgeous boy - Jan 11
A_W

Previous

Return to The Activity Centre