Feeling conflicted - feel like we're going backwards.

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Feeling conflicted - feel like we're going backwards.

Postby NorthernKitten » 27 Dec 2013, 18:48

Munchkin has just eaten two bowlfuls of baby porridge, and a fruit pot. I was desperate, as she's not been eating much of anything, so bought some today. She wolfed it like she's not eaten in weeks - possibly because she hasn't eaten in weeks.

Up till 11 months she'd eat anything and everything, and feed herself. A model blw baby, she had loaded spoons for proper porridge, and occasionally would ask for spoon feeding, but was largely an independent miss. She was dropping feeds, having lovely solid nappies, and I was utterly happy with our blw decision and felt vindicated.

Then we had a few weeks of fussiness, only eating bread and fruit pots. Then she cut a tooth, had a chest infection, and started nursery. So naturally, food was out and boobies back in. In the two to three weeks since she's been well, she's barely eaten anything.

Now she'll eat purées and baby porridge like a tw 4 month old. I feel like an utter blw failure, and am wondering if we made the right decision. Am beginning to feel like she wouldn't be as fussy as she is had she been tw, and that my mil was right all along.

Please reassure me this will pick up, and I haven't sabotaged munchkin's ability to self feed by being so relieved she ate two HUGE bowls of cow and gate banana porridge and then a puréed fruit pot?? Should i offer her more slimy mush tomorrow alongside our usual meals??
Mummy to a munchkin (Dec 12) and a mini munchkin (due Jan 15) and part-time teacher of teenaged terrors.
NorthernKitten

Re: Feeling conflicted - feel like we're going backwards.

Postby mamapup » 27 Dec 2013, 18:52

Don't panic! And do do whatever works for you and your munchkin.

However, I do seem to remember being reassured that suddenly, around 1, kids get much fussier and suspicious of new foods. We have good days where the puppy eats loads but he often still eats very little and he certainly isn't adventurous. I'd probably trust her, offer her normal porridge and fruit for breakfast, a real lunch and then a snacky supper (that has got us through a lot of tricky times).

You certainly haven't sabotaged her ability to eat!!
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby NorthernKitten » 27 Dec 2013, 18:53

Also having a sugar panic, although I bought the 7m one with 13.9g sugar per 100g, rather than the 4 month one with twice that much!!
Mummy to a munchkin (Dec 12) and a mini munchkin (due Jan 15) and part-time teacher of teenaged terrors.
NorthernKitten

Postby NorthernKitten » 27 Dec 2013, 18:55

Thanks as ever, mp. It's just so hard to watch them eat (almost) nothing for weeks on end - then wonder if you've done the right thing when they wolf down so much of the thing you've been trying to avoid!!
NorthernKitten

Postby mamapup » 27 Dec 2013, 18:59

Yup, I agree entirely that it's hard. I think I've managed to relax a lot as the puppy gets older (almost 19 months now) and I see that he really does know what he's doing. Some days he seriously will eat for 12 hours straight and then eat nothing.

Have you tried normal porridge fingers? (we put in raisins for a little sweetness) Or even just normal porridge - that way it's 'real food'. And we sometimes give pureed fruit because it's delicious but it is pretty sweet - what about yoghurt? If she's teething with molars then it could be a good while of not wanting to eat anything but soft food.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

mamapup

Postby NorthernKitten » 27 Dec 2013, 19:07

Normal porridge oats used to be a fave in any consistency - won't touch at the moment hence the baby stuff. Has never liked ready Brek either.

Yoghurt out of the question as very much cows' milk protein intolerant still, and have only just started trying her on soya milk so not feeling brave enough for soya versions!

Eta - only got two bottom front teeth and one upper front, so suspect molars are a while off yet. Joy.
NorthernKitten

Postby StJuniper » 27 Dec 2013, 21:34

P definitely turned fussy around 1 year, we had two or three months where he basically only ate bread/carbs. I too questioned if I'd done the right thing, but he came out of it. He came out of it choosier than before, though, so prior to the fussy phase he'd basically eat anything, and after it his tastes are particular and go through phases based on what he needs (for example, some days he'll basically ignore a scrambled egg, but some days I have to give him mine as well). Will she eat carbs? I think it's mainly important to remember that a balanced diet for a bf baby is nothing like a balanced diet for an adult-- she will be getting all the vitamins and minerals she needs, and I truly believe they know what they need, so if she were lacking anything, she'd eat to get it.
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby mamapup » 27 Dec 2013, 21:38

I agree with Sj, the puppy came out of.his suspicious phase with a more limited range of acceptable foods than he entered it with. We seem to alternate between meals we know he will eat and things we'd like him to try.

mamapup

Postby NorthernKitten » 28 Dec 2013, 11:36

These children were sent to try us, I'm convinced. Today she won't touch the porridge or, in fact, anything solid. Boobie levels increased to near constant access. Am
Hoping growth spurt or (finally) mastering toddling, rather than anther bout of poorliness or teeth! Up all night, too. Ugh.
NorthernKitten

Postby Nix » 28 Dec 2013, 11:53

Pippa is a similar age and is surviving on booby milk also. She isn't interested in solids and hasn't been for weeks. I am blaming teeth for sure. Hope you are having more luck than me. So far this morning she has rejected everything I have offered.
Very proud mummy to three little stars:

Harvey born January 2009
Jasper born October 2010
Pippa born January 2013
Nix

Postby ChristmasGift » 28 Dec 2013, 23:33

We went through a very similar phase NK. I am pretty sure they'd do it whichever way they were weaned. Teeting/cold definitly increases BF and massively decreases appetite in our house. Some days The Babs eats all her portion and half of mine and other days she'll have a few mouthfuls. I just figure that, unlike me (who eats anything in front of me), she will only eat what she wants when she feels she needs it. Trust her if you can and so long as she's otherwise well try not to worry.
Mama to The Babs- Aug 2012
ChristmasGift

Postby NorthernKitten » 01 Jan 2014, 18:54

We seem to be back on track now, as long as it's bread (in any form, especially crumpet or tortilla), banana, or porridge. Everything else is thrown on sight, but nappies are solid again so that's good!
NorthernKitten

Postby Kitcameron » 03 Jan 2014, 19:05

Little G drives me mad with the fact that sometimes she can't get enough of something and other times she won't touch it. We seem to have breakfast nailed, she has crackerbreads every day and will have dried fruit if she refuses her banana and sometimes she has cereal as well. Lunch I can usually find something she likes but then dinner is very hit and miss. I figure as long as she sleeps through she must have eaten enough. Today she ate very little lunch but made up for it at dinner eating almost constantly from 4-6pm.

They really are sent to try us. Try not to worry too much, good luck.
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Return to Toddler Led Eating