Very fussy 22 mo, despite doing BLW from the start.

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Re: Very fussy 22 mo, despite doing BLW from the start.

Postby Dulcie » 08 Dec 2013, 08:48

Oooh Mamapupmas this is spooky, we're due March 14th!
Dulcie

Postby mamapup » 08 Dec 2013, 21:51

Hah, us March 11 th. Time space continuum gets all messed up somewhere then, huh?
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby Kitcameron » 10 Dec 2013, 15:35

How do chn so young know what vegetables are? Little G is also very bad at eating veggies. She eats cauliflower bites from the little grazers website and she'll eat them with broccoli as well but it's such a faff making them, even if I make a batch and freeze them. She actually ate real cauliflower in white sauce the other day though, I was amazed. I gave her a really small piece not expecting her to eat any but then it disappeared and my brother said she'd eaten it do I gave her a bit more and she popped that in too. I'm not holding out much hope of her doing it again but I did wonder if it as because they were small pieces she could just pop straight in her mouth instead if biting I to.

Sorry, I don't think that's if any help to you at all but I was just pondering the veggie question.
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Postby Moremom » 10 Dec 2013, 21:14

I like the idea of getting him cooking with me, I did try it a couple of months back with disastrous tantrum results when he wanted all the things he can't have...the sharp knife, not his kiddy knife etc... ending in him nearly falling off the chair whilst having a meltdown but his understanding and communication skills are better now so maybe i'll try it again. His xmas present this year is a lovely little play kitchen which I plan to put in the kitchen near where I cook so hopefully that might help his attitude towards food too.

I want to try this but have the exact same safety concern with my daughter. All the knifes, flames and sharp corners make using a real kitchen seem like a really bad idea. What play kitchen did you get her? I've been looking at this one, http://allplaykitchens.com/products/spa ... zable.html But wanted to get some other opinions. Thanks!
Moremom

Postby Dulcie » 11 Dec 2013, 07:55

I ask the same question AKingIsComing, Little man has never eaten veg, right from 6 months when we first started BLW, he'd just chuck the veg or salad straight over the side after a little taste and get on with the rest of his meal! It's as though he had built in veg identification abilities and still does! He can chew through an entire mouthful of quiche and spit out every microscopic broccoli crumb in it and ask me to put each crumb in the bin one by one! Some of these I can't even see they're so small. We have to have a little plate for him to put unwanted foods on otherwise he'd refuse to eat his meal unless each crumb of veg goes in the bin! That's on a good day. On a bad day he'll just have a meltdown that his lovely quiche has been ruined by veg and refuse to eat it at all. Sigh.

Then he'll eat half a melon all by himself.
Dulcie

Postby Dulcie » 12 Dec 2013, 23:22

Hi Moremom, We got him this one by Janod: http://www.littleworldonline.co.uk/jano ... kitchen.ir although we got it much cheaper in a Zulily sale. I think you're in the US so not sure you have Zulily? It's just a little kitchen but will fit our house just right. He already has a brio cooker that will sit nicely next to it but we never had any pans or play food so just been using it as a bookshelf so far! I just got him some extra pans etc to use in it. Looking out for more play food. The one you're looking at looks lovely! I decided to go with the unisex colours as we'll soon have a boy and a girl.
Dulcie

Postby Dulcie » 18 Dec 2013, 22:39

My faith is restored! Out of the blue, we've had a week of surprise eats... here are just some of the things Little Man has eaten this week which have had us watching in amazement: squid risotto with VEG in it, pork ribs, humous, brie croquettes, peas - actual PEAS!!! and tonight the crowning glory, 3 helpings of lamb coconut curry with spinach and courgette, rice and beetroot raitha. I even got him to eat the japanese style egg noodles I made him with the addition of just a smidgen of ketchup (dip dip) to tempt him to actually try them. The other meals have all been ketchup free and did I mention he's eaten VEG???? He was so ill the last two weeks he hardly ate and lost loads of weight so I think he's making up for it. Still, this is a first. I hope he continues to get more adventurous with his food. He's changed and grown up all of a sudden over the last week in general, have really noticed a bit leap in his development so perhaps this is part of it...please please please!
Dulcie

Postby Kitcameron » 19 Dec 2013, 08:17

Yey dulcie, that's great news. Little G has finally eaten carrot this week too. I have discovered she will chomp on a raw carrot stick, but not grated or cooked. She doesn't actually swallow it all but I'm sure she's swallowing some of it (last night she came to give me a kiss, or so I thought, but actually it was just to push her carrot from her mouth into mine, where did she learnt that?)
Kitcameron

Postby mamapup » 19 Dec 2013, 08:29

Wow, that's amazing Dulcie. Gives me hope for the future. The puppy suddenly eats rice and sauce (chilli or goulash) so my mission now is to do a veg sauce for him to try with rice. A veg couscous was roundly ignored last night but then he didn't actually eat anything at all so I suspect he's just not eating right now.

We had an early xmas with my family and at lunch the puppy was true to form: sausages and xmas pudding! But he did try a parsnip so I'm counting a teeny success.

I wish the puppy'd eat ketchup but he won't, loves playing with the bottle but that's it. Sausage in mustard is acceptable, ketchup is not, apparently. (and of course, I only want ketchup for the dipping of new foods, not to force more sugar in him!)
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

mamapup

Postby Kitcameron » 19 Dec 2013, 12:41

Have either of your tried veggie soups. Little G has just discovered the joys of dipping so we've had tomato soup the past couple of days with bread, the messiest meal we've ever had and I keep finding tomato soup stains everywhere but I'm thinking if it gets veg into her then I'm willing to cope. (Yes I know technically tomatoes are fruits not veg but stay with me) Just need to try some veggie soups now though. Only problem is I'm not a massive fan of veggie soup so don't know quite how to go about this. We could be eating soup for a whole week if she has to finish a can by herself lol. I was thinking of trying the creamed soup varieties as I think she might recognise whole pieces of veg and discard lol. I'm sure some of their goodness will have leached out into the soup but the more I can get in the better I reckon.

Or I suppose I could be really good and make my own soup and freeze it in G sized portions lol. She also eats it off the spoon which gets remarkably close to spoon feeding purée but if she's asking for it it's BLW in my book.
Kitcameron

Postby mamapup » 19 Dec 2013, 13:34

My son is not conned by soup! He does not like any soup.

I'd go with homemade though, if I were you. There is a lot of salt in canned soup. I love homemade veg soup, we have it a lot.

mamapup

Postby Kitcameron » 19 Dec 2013, 15:50

Yeah, just found the recipe for leek and tattie soup in the recipes section. Think I may have to try that first
Kitcameron

Postby Ali70 » 19 Dec 2013, 18:01

Sproglet loves butternut squash and cumin soup, eaten off roasted chunks of butternut squash. Really simple to make too - fry onion; add squash, garlic, tsp cumin; fry for a min then add 500ml stock; cook for 30mins and blend.
Sproglet born April 2013
Ali70

Postby Kitcameron » 19 Dec 2013, 19:34

Ooh might try that too, thanks Ali. Butternut squash is quite sweet isn't it so probably appealing to babies. Think it'll be after Christmas before we try any of these now as dh isn't a big fan of soup and tomorrow is his last day at work before hols (yey) and I don't fancy soup three days on the trot lol
Kitcameron

Postby Dulcie » 19 Dec 2013, 23:06

Dipping is defo the way forward, soup and soldiers are a winner! and stuff dipped in humous...oatcakes etc. well sometimes anyway :-S
I've often made a load of soup and portioned it up in freezer bags and frozen it. Is really handy for a quick meal. I do the same with chilli, stew etc although had given up recently as he was refusing anything not fish finger shaped. I can feel another cook-off coming on!
Dulcie

PreviousNext

Return to Toddler Led Eating