13mo will not eat grains... help!

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

13mo will not eat grains... help!

Postby MTLVeganMama » 10 Dec 2013, 17:58

No matter what I've tried to make him, he will pick at the other stuff and just eat those veggies/fruits or legumes/tofu. Never the rice or bread or pasta. It's getting quite annoying as he really needs those in our vegan diet. HELP! Gimme ideas of how to incorporate into something he might enjoy eating other than just plain.
~Sarah~
S- 10
E- 6
M- 3
MTLVeganMama

Re: 13mo will not eat grains... help!

Postby Gizmo » 10 Dec 2013, 18:03

Some kids just won't eat some things, they all have their own taste. DS is a self choosing vegetarian and won't even entertain the idea of any type of meat, however his twin sister can't get enough. I would say go with your DS, if he doesn't want it then leave it for a few weeks and then offer again and see if he changes his mind. What is in the grains that he needs?
Gizmo

Postby FlossiesMum » 10 Dec 2013, 19:10

I don't eat much at all in the way of grains, and if I had less of a weakness for cake-ish stuff I'd eat none. There isn't really anything of nutritional value in grains that you can't get elsewhere. Will he eat potato, parsnip & sweet potato for some high carb veg?

(Admittedly I do eat meat, but there isn't much in meat you can replace with grains apart from calories...hence my suggestion of high carb veg).

Other than that I'd just keep offering in the hope he'll eventually like it. Once he gets to a contrary age, try putting it on your plate and NOT offering him any....he might well ask for some so as to ensure he's not missing out!
Greenwich & Lewisham Sling Library - 1st and 3rd Wednesday of each month. http://www.facebook.com/greenwichlewishamslings
FlossiesMum

Postby MTLVeganMama » 12 Dec 2013, 16:11

because we are vegans though, to get a full complete protein like you get with meat, our legumes need to be combined with a whole grain during a meal...
~Sarah~
S- 10
E- 6
M- 3
MTLVeganMama

Postby Treeb » 12 Dec 2013, 17:24

I would say this is another case of "trust your baby to eat what he needs." Your signature says that you are still breastfeeding him, I imagine he is getting plenty of perfect-for-him proteins from that milk!

A few other thoughts, if you are really worried about a rounded diet for him:
Have you tried things like rice cakes or crackers? Maybe he just needs to find the right texture of food that he likes.
Do you give him nut butters? How about nuts/seeds mixed into a smoothie?
Oatmeal?
Maybe try some kind of "lentil loaf" or vegan meatballs (at least I imagine such a thing must exist?) or homemade veggie burgers that combine beans/lentils/etc. with rice or other grains?
Mama to big boy L born Sept. 2012, and baby girl A born June 2015.

http://treemama.wordpress.com/
Treeb

Postby MTLVeganMama » 18 Dec 2013, 21:21

Yes, we are still BFing.
No he will not eat nut butters or whatever because he wont eat anything to put them on. He will though eat those snack puffs and rice cakes and what not. It's just so not healthy and caloric. He USED to eat oatmeal but now won't touch it.... And thats about it. He's gotten picky lately.
~Sarah~
S- 10
E- 6
M- 3
MTLVeganMama

Postby shye » 18 Dec 2013, 22:13

My 2nd child didn't eat food until he was 23 1/2 months old. Try to relax and keep offering it.
Mummy to E (nov 08) and Birdy (dec 10)
shye

Postby Treeb » 19 Dec 2013, 03:24

MTLVeganMama wrote:Yes, we are still BFing.
No he will not eat nut butters or whatever because he wont eat anything to put them on. He will though eat those snack puffs and rice cakes and what not. It's just so not healthy and caloric. He USED to eat oatmeal but now won't touch it.... And thats about it. He's gotten picky lately.

As Shye said, just stay relaxed and keep offering a variety. I know how stressful it can be to feel your child isn't eating enough/eating the right things/etc., but he is getting wonderful nutrition from the breastmilk and most go through phases of being more or less picky, eating different things, etc.

L loves to lick hummus/peanut butter/tahini/etc. off of his rice cakes or toast but often doesn't eat the bread it is on. You could also try giving veggie sticks to dip into it or spread it onto to be licked off.
With rice cakes, were you giving the little ones they sell for babies? We use unsalted ones made for adults and they are whole grain, etc. so nothing unhealthy there. I usually break them in halves or quarters to make a more manageable piece to hold.
Also I mentioned smoothies before as far as putting nuts/seeds into them, but forgot to mention that I also usually add a handful of oats when I make a smoothie so that's another way to incorporate grains. I make ours with yogurt usually but there are plenty of fruit/veggie based recipes out there.
Mama to big boy L born Sept. 2012, and baby girl A born June 2015.

http://treemama.wordpress.com/
Treeb

Postby MTLVeganMama » 05 Jan 2014, 18:04

Thanks for the replies. I will try those tips.
~Sarah~
S- 10
E- 6
M- 3
MTLVeganMama

Return to Toddler Led Eating