2, 3, 4 hour awake periods- what age start at?

Second babies? Forgotten everything about breast and formula, napping and wrapping and you are are going a bit MAD because you haven't slept in three days? Or it's your first baby and you are here researching the joys of weaning?

2, 3, 4 hour awake periods- what age start at?

Postby Where'stheMistletoe » 29 Nov 2013, 14:47

I need advice from S_N or other people with kids who sleep :wink: .

As I seem to be a bit useless at recognising sleep cues I wondered what age I should start encouraging naps at particular timings. I could only ever get Wriggles to nap on me until 8 months then in pushchair/ car / me thereafter but that's not practical with baby no 2. Baby girl seems to want to feed all the time but sometimes she just gets a let down then crashes out on me so I wonder if she's using boob to fall asleep when I should be recognising she's tired. Or is 1 month too young still to be even thinking about a pattern?
Mummy to gorgeous wriggly baby boy (Jan 11) and beautiful baby girl (Oct 13)
Where'stheMistletoe

Re: 2, 3, 4 hour awake periods- what age start at?

Postby Seriously_Nutty » 29 Nov 2013, 14:58

Waaaaayyyyyyy too young imo but everyone is different.

It was always around 3 or 4 months with mine. That's when they'd start taking a good morning nap and EVERYTHING sleep related came from *that* morning nap in this household.

For now slings, pushchairs, rocker chairs.... whatever works.
“You can learn many things from children. How much patience you have, for instance.” - Franklin P. Jones
Seriously_Nutty

Postby Where'stheMistletoe » 29 Nov 2013, 15:02

Great, thanks S_N. Just want to make sure I give this one a good chance at getting good sleep habits - I fully expect her to be like her brother (and their mum!) but you never know!
Mummy to gorgeous wriggly baby boy (Jan 11) and beautiful baby girl (Oct 13)
Where'stheMistletoe

Postby babydsmummy » 29 Nov 2013, 17:12

At that age mine couldn't manage much more than a feed and a nappy change before they wanted to sleep again. That was the pattern - they were awake for a bout an hour then slept again. I did find that they seemed hungry when they were in fact tired so got in the habit of settling back to sleep after a nappy change and a cuddle and it worked really well. They did sleep a lot as tiny babies though - J was hardly ever awake!
Mummy to two amazing boys: D (Oct 08) and J (June 11)
babydsmummy

Postby Alstarofwonder » 29 Nov 2013, 18:08

R is 12 weeks, nearly 13 and still only really manages 1.5 to 2 hours awake at most, often less! As soon as she.yawns I put her in the sling or start the pacing and she drops off within a few minutes. Mind you her night time sleep is pretty rubbish so I might not be the best person to advise about sleep. And it's trickier when the older one is around and needing me.
Mum to E (squizzer) since 9/8/11 and R (monkey chops) 3/9/13
Alstarofwonder

Postby robyn » 29 Nov 2013, 18:16

encourage a big feed when they wake up, then when they get antsy try and get them to sleep without feeding - they've eaten so it must be tiredness. nowt wrong with feeding to sleep though - that can be done on the sofa with biscuits, pacing and rocking is rather a lot like hard work ;)
Mum to Martha - 17/08/07 Greta - 04/02/11 and Ida - 18/10/13.
http://robynwilsonowen.com
robyn

Return to Birth to BLW