DIY

Because BLW isn't just for lentil-weavers. Some of us like to piddle about with bits of felt and sticky-backed plastic as well.

DIY

Postby skip » 13 Apr 2013, 19:39

Is DIY technically a craft? ;) What home improvements are you up to?

Had to share my epic battle with a blackout blind today... Well, DH's battle, which he was losing until I came in and saved the day. ;)

So, we bought a blackout blind for the kids' room, and upon taking it out of the packet M grabbed the string and it popped off the wheel mechanism. No matter what we did we couldn't get it back on, but DH had already put up the brackets which was no mean feat, so we decided to put it up as a temporary measure anyway and just leave it in the down position. Bear in mind that our walls are as crumbly as sand and when DH went to screw the brackets in he discovered that the exterior wall above the window is basically plasterboard nailed over a gaping hole. :scream There was one thin strip of wood above the window frame so he screwed a long piece of wood onto that to secure the brackets to... aaaaand it was this point we discover that the blind is fecking broken. :mona

So DH goes off in a strop, and I have the bright idea of using the brackets from the old blind instead. Then realise that we can mount the old brackets inside the window frame which will work even better. Except the poles are different sizes. So I strip the fabric off the poles and cut the old pole and new fabric down to the right size, whack it all together and voila.

There's still coving to put up in their room and then it's on to the office... I fucking hate DIY but DH seems to think he's jinxed (and so do I - while looking for the hacksaw I discovered the brand new pot of paint he bought to touch up the living room hadn't had its lid put back on properly so had leaked all over the porch. ARGHHHH!)

Make me feel better and tell me about your DIY, please.
skip

Re: DIY

Postby supermansmum » 13 Apr 2013, 19:47

Oh skip.....we love a bit of DIY here....in fact today I was painting the spindles on the stairs....too many disaster stories for now (just popped in a DVD) but will be back!
Mum to two Supermen - Aka D Jan -09 & E March-11
supermansmum

Postby SharkiesMum » 13 Apr 2013, 19:59

Oh, how stressful! I was glad to see the "voila" at the end :)

It's always DIY central here. Yesterday DH tried to unjam our garage door and got frustrated and tried shoving really hard which made a rotting window frame from in the garage fall apart and the glass to smash. Replacements are all UPVC and appear to cost £300 so DH rebuilt the window and has filled with plastic greenhouse type glass. All In the pouring rain.

Monday he is starting building a deck, which means getting out his sledgehammer and smashing the disabled ramp up and then worrying about plans and timber and tools needed. Gah.

Still need to replaster dining room ceiling, coving, finish tiling and grouting in bathroom, finish edging of wooden flooring, strip wallpaper and plaster and paint stairs. Sounds like a lot but when I see how much we've done it feels good.

Hopefully that makes you feel slightly better.
A - April 2012
T - May 2014
SharkiesMum

Postby FestiveTidings » 13 Apr 2013, 20:06

We don't do big jobs but things like putting up blinds and such we do together.

Though the worse thing to happen was when I mentioned to DH that I though there was a bulge in the kitchen ceiling (directly under the bath). He went to touch it to see if it was damp and put his whole hand through!

Luckily we were able to claim on insurance but we also ended up getting someone in to redo the whole bathroom (which needed done).

We tend to live with things until we can afford for someone to come in and fix it. We both know our limitations for DIY!
Mum to Roo born Feb 2011 and Wee One born April 2014 - each one a miracle.
FestiveTidings

Postby AB&M » 13 Apr 2013, 20:47

I cut Bruno's blackout blind down to size & it's wobbly!!

Dh is awesome at DIY but he's not so good at finishing jobs!! Or fixing things... I want to do some decorating but with a child around its impossible! When Dh goes to Malaysia for a week, my parents are going to come up so I reckon I'll get them working on that :wink:
Spammer executioner & heads together basher

Claire

Bruno 6
Annie aka kitten 1
AB&M

Postby Laura Tyewa » 13 Apr 2013, 20:57

We used to be pretty good, but now DH does it all while I keep L out of the way. It's not the same. We used to really enjoy completing projects together (even if it's about the only time we argue!).
Mum to L, born Feb 2012.
Laura Tyewa

Postby skip » 27 Apr 2013, 10:06

Sorting out my little office room today. :) Skirting boards done, now off to get filler and coving and paint! M has been making his own creation with offcuts and random screws and wood glue... Kept him busy at least...until we realised he'd screwed a plank of wood into the landing carpet! ;)
skip

Postby t&n's mummy » 27 Apr 2013, 10:23

Dh is currently banned from DIY after putting up a shelf which promptly fell down, bringing half the wall with it... In the living room :mona :scream
Mummy to T dec 09 and N Mar 12
One little angel (6w) apr 11
http://www.facebook.com/Mariamadeit or see what we get up to at http://mariamadeit.wordpress.com
t&n's mummy

Location: Not in Kyiv anymore... Back to our own house in se London

Postby TPM » 27 Apr 2013, 18:10

skip wrote:..until we realised he'd screwed a plank of wood into the landing carpet! ;)

LOL! This made me laugh. Don't they just love fiddling? Fiddle fiddle. They must learn so much from screws cos all three of mine are drawn to them!
Yes our whole house is one long ongoing DIY project. I've been trying to get the bathroom done for about 3 years. Have made a bit of progress since Easter as dd1 is at school, dd2 is now doing a full day on a Monday and dd3 will nap for a couple of hours midday without her noisy sisters in the house. I am so desperate for a soak in a bath now I will do anything. Trouble is once I get them all in bed its hard to muster the energy to go up there and do painting.
DD1 05/08, DD2 01/10 & DD3 04/12
TPM

Postby Rosie_t_Riveter » 27 Apr 2013, 18:14

We went to homebase today to get something to stop the occasional leak from the bath plug hole. DP fixed it. After bathtime there was a torrent of water in the kitchen :( :( :(
TheWriggler - Aug 2009
BabyBean - March 2012
Rosie_t_Riveter

Postby ToothFairy » 27 Apr 2013, 18:44

Oh no Rosie :(
Mummy to M - September 1998, D - October 2007, and E - May 2010. All BF, cloth nappies, and carried in the same sling, not sure BLW existed in the 90s though!
ToothFairy

Postby skip » 27 Apr 2013, 18:49

Oh no Rtr!! :( I hope it's not done any damage. We had a ceiling flood a while back but it was easily covered with a coat of paint once it had dried. Time for a plumber?

Success and disaster today. Skirting, filling and caulking done fine, but I bought the wrong size coving (just one and a bit walls to do) AND bought the wrong paint. I got all excited thinking I'd saved money buying a small tin for the 1 coloured wall only to discover it is wood paint. Luckily I hadn't opened it. Ach, why put oil based paint with the emulsion?!?! After I'd exchanged the coving things went better but I need stronger adhesive for the long bit. Oh well, a job for tomorrow. Knackered now. Why is it never straightforward? I just want to get on and paint so I can buy the prints I've asked for for my birthday... :)
skip

Postby FestiveTidings » 27 Apr 2013, 18:50

Oh no. :( sounds like a join in the pipe isn't secure enough or a pipe is cracked. The weight of the bath water will force it apart. :(

I just hate it when things go wrong. We once had a bucket on top of our fridge as out bath leaked. We just couldn't find where from. Our bathroom was completely tiled (albeit in horrible navy ones the previous owner had picked) but we could afford to start removing them as they couldn't afford to replace them.
Mum to Roo born Feb 2011 and Wee One born April 2014 - each one a miracle.
FestiveTidings

Postby Rosie_t_Riveter » 27 Apr 2013, 20:59

skip wrote:Oh no Rtr!! :( I hope it's not done any damage. We had a ceiling flood a while back but it was easily covered with a coat of paint once it had dried. Time for a plumber?

Well, the previous leaks had done the damage. And the kitchen ceiling is covered in lovely cork tiles so no real harm done. It looks just as bad as ever. :wink: We need a loft conversion, to swap the bathroom and the spare bedroom and to extend the kitchen. So in five/ten years time it'll be grand.

Yes, Dave the Plumber will be called on Monday.
TheWriggler - Aug 2009
BabyBean - March 2012
Rosie_t_Riveter

Postby t&n's mummy » 27 Apr 2013, 21:16

Oh dear rtr!
Mummy to T dec 09 and N Mar 12
One little angel (6w) apr 11
http://www.facebook.com/Mariamadeit or see what we get up to at http://mariamadeit.wordpress.com
t&n's mummy

Location: Not in Kyiv anymore... Back to our own house in se London

Next

Return to Crafternet