healthy breakfast ideas please!

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

healthy breakfast ideas please!

Postby Rose Bud » 20 Jan 2013, 07:51

Hi all,
Hope you are well? I can still recognise some of the names on here, but not that many. R is 5 now, loves school and is happy and thriving. I do struggle with a healthy breakfast for her so would appreciate your ideas.
R eats well, takes her time, savours her food, but is generally unfussy - always comes home with clean plate stickers from school :D
For breakfast she usually asks for Rice Krispies or Shreddies, which is what she used to have at nursery. Often we give it to her, but I am conscious of the fact that they have sugar and salt in, but as she doesn't really eat much dairy, I guess she gets some calcium from the milk. She doesn't have much of a sweet tooth, so I don't want to get her used to sugary stuff when she isn't that fussed iyswim. We also give her poached egg on brown toast which she really likes, and when my mum is here 2 mornings a week they have porridge made with fruit juice. She eats a good plate full of fruit and raw veg for her afternoon snack, but won't usually eat fruit for breakfast.
Any thoughts on what we could try?
Head gardener to a mostly pink rambling Rose since 09/07. Generally disease resistant, with an upright habit and colourful displays all year round.
Rose Bud

Re: healthy breakfast ideas please!

Postby camper » 20 Jan 2013, 09:50

Although you say R's not keen on fruit, what about fruit smoothies? I make them for MJ sometimes when we are short on time. I use fruit (banana, mango, frozen berries, any soft fruit really), about 150ml milk, a big dollop of plain yoghurt and a heaped teaspoon of chia seeds. My friend even puts raw eggs in the ones she gives her kids, but I'm not that brave!
camper

Postby FestiveTidings » 20 Jan 2013, 10:59

Scotch Pancakes! Shove berries in them or have them plain with butter. Yum!

Egg and soldiers?

Homemade fruit muffins? (there is a muffin recipe on the forum somewhere!)
Mum to Roo born Feb 2011 and Wee One born April 2014 - each one a miracle.
FestiveTidings

Postby Riotproof » 20 Jan 2013, 11:21

Ds's favourite is puffed corn and rice from the health section, no sugar or salt and he has a banana chopped on it or blueberries. I imagine grated apple might be nice with soy milk because he's cmpi.
Cherub - Feb 2010.
Little miss - Jan 2015
Riotproof

Postby Rose Bud » 20 Jan 2013, 13:51

thanks everyone - nice ideas :)
Head gardener to a mostly pink rambling Rose since 09/07. Generally disease resistant, with an upright habit and colourful displays all year round.
Rose Bud

Postby Fozza » 20 Jan 2013, 20:09

To be fair they are not the most sugary/salty cereals she could have, are they? However, We like scrambled eggs and with a bit of practice they take minutes to cook.
Mum to
3 boys on earth...my light
Owen and Luna in heaven...My forever babies.
Fozza

Postby Sandytoes » 20 Jan 2013, 22:24

T has porridge if Sandydad is having porridge and she can eat it from his bowl. Otherwise she likes what she calls "cereal", which is actually just plain oats with milk on. Muesli without the added bits, I guess - she's not into nuts and raisins! Could you make some sort of muesli mix with whatever bits and pieces (seeds, dried fruit, coconut?) R likes?
mummy to T, born 21st August 2009

http://sandytoesanddustyfeet.wordpress.com/
Sandytoes

Postby luverlylisa » 20 Jan 2013, 22:38

marmite toast........... every day usually! with fruit afterwards sometimes, or peanut butter toast and always a cup of milk
he often asks for quavers but is slowly realising he is never going to be allowed them for breakfast!
luverlylisa

Postby Violet_Cue » 21 Jan 2013, 01:55

I throw slivered almonds into J's cereal. We also buy the ancient grains bread so that toast has a bit more to it (as DH will make himself toast for supper if he is tired and I don't have anything prepped/ put aside for him.) He likes scrambled eggs with cheese, but I can't be fussed in the morning.

I feel like cereal alone doesn't have much to it, so I can see why you might be looking for suggestions.
Canadian mom to J - Feb 2011 and L - March 2015
See my face painting at www.facebook.com/create.a.face.nl
Violet_Cue

Postby Svea » 21 Jan 2013, 06:37

Fozza wrote:We like scrambled eggs and with a bit of practice they take minutes to cook.

My toast usually takes longer than the eggs to cook.

Tbh, I don't see an issue with her breakfasts, sounds fine to me.
We vary between toast with jams, porridge/cereals and pancakes/muffins/crumpets on weekends.
Mama to M since 02/10/07, P since 08/03/10 and O 07/06/13
Svea

Postby BigFlower » 21 Jan 2013, 06:44

Dd has plain oats with milk on too!

Yoghurt, toast (with marmite).

She doesn't like eggs but does like meat so we occasionally have a bit of bacon (aware that's not exactly very healthy though!)
DD - Feb 2010
BigFlower

Postby A_W » 21 Jan 2013, 11:50

If you'd said you were giving her chocolate cheerios, frosted shreddies or nestle chocolate caramel lion cereal (wtf!) or chocolate muffins - I would be concerned. The ones you give her have about 10-15g of sugar per 100g rather than those so called 'children's cereals' that have about 35g. I wouldn't worry about that tbh. Her diet sounds pretty healthy to me. If you're really worried swap them for shredded wheat or puffed wheat? If you're worried about sugar than raisins are full of it and other dried fruit. But I consider those to be a good snack for my children...

But your lo is 5 and not 6 months so I don't think you need to worry as much, like I used to when H was 1. Mine both eat cheerios now even though I used to scoff at mum's giving them as snacks - oops! And my dd has nutella in her porridge too....
H - big school girl - April 08
A - my gorgeous boy - Jan 11
A_W

Postby Rose Bud » 22 Jan 2013, 21:05

Thanks everyone :) I guess I just like everything that she eats to have *value* and I don't think most cereals have that much nutritional value. I like that she has eggs and also porridge, but wanted a third option - thanks for all of you suggestions :D
Rose Bud

Return to Toddler Led Eating