Does your child insist on pouring water into their food?

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Does your child insist on pouring water into their food?

Postby Brigitte » 09 Dec 2012, 03:05

Our 19-month-old daughter has recently become unstoppable in her desire to pour out her water glass into her food. We used to get by on only giving her tiny amounts of water when she asked for it, so that she was most likely to drink it all before it occurred to her to pour it. Now, she's getting unpredictable and will sometimes even pour the water immediately upon receiving it.

However, there is a silver lining! She is FASCINATED by the water in her food! She will stir it around, and then carefully spoon it into her mouth. She is actually learning a lot about spoon control, as she can now mostly get a spoonful of water from her bowl into her mouth! Previously all spoon foods had to be at least somewhat thick to survive the various spoon angles she used, and of course the last-minute flip to make the spoon go upside-down and dump its contents into her mouth. Even though she aims for only getting "soup" into her spoon (that's what we call her watery creations), she doesn't mind in the slightest if other chunks come along for the ride (such as beans in her chili "soup"). Since she is so fascinated with the entire procedure, she actually ends up eating more food this way than if we keep her from diluting it in the first place.

So, I'm just sharing this to re-encourage everyone to let their child take the lead. We spent way too much energy trying to thwart the water-pouring before finally giving up and realizing that she is now eating more, is more interested in her food, and is improving her spoon skills at an impressive rate.
I love my kiddos! Two April girls (2011 and 2013) and a May boy (2016). I guess we have spring babies in this family.
Brigitte

Re: Does your child insist on pouring water into their food?

Postby Pics » 09 Dec 2012, 09:24

Yes. And food in water. It's brilliant fun apparently.
Mummy to 3 scrumptious BLWers, who sometimes rebel + ask for spoonfeeding (2007, 2010, 2013). Antilop chair, slings, cloth nappies, no steam mop but awaiting permission for special handshake which probably involves porridge.
http://www.slingtastic.com
Pics

Postby Agatha'sMama » 09 Dec 2012, 09:36

This sounds very familiar! Great post, they have so much fun experimenting.
Mama to A - May 2011

back on the forum after being so rudely interrupted by RL for a year
Agatha'sMama

Postby meerkatsmum » 09 Dec 2012, 09:53

Meerkat does this but her straw cup drips rather than pours so its slow. She loves putting things in our water because we drink mineral and she loves to watch the bubbles.
DD - Meerkat (October 2011)
DD - Wombat (January 2014)
meerkatsmum

Postby Scozzie » 09 Dec 2012, 10:25

Water into food, towers of food (record so far is sandwich, apple, dried apricot, rice cake & raisins on top), towers of food pots & sippy cup when we're out. And if we're foolish enough to try to give her cutlery, they have all sorts of uses...

She's like a mad scientist. I want a bib that looks like a lab coat!

Actually though, thanks for posting this Brigitte. I've been wondering whether we should try to discourage it, eg take her out of the chair. She does it when she's not hungry - but sometimes it's when she has just sated her immediate hunger IYSWIM? Not eaten very much - and usually wants boob soon after.

Sounds like we should just continue to follow her lead?!
Mum to the Poppet, born October 2011. A person's a person, no matter how small...
Scozzie

Postby FestiveTidings » 09 Dec 2012, 10:50

Yes!!! Usually after we've poured something onto ours - gravy or a sauce (which he doesn't want!).

Sippy cup gets poured bit by bit into an open cup and drunk. Would give him an open cup if he didn't still get the urge to lob them across the room :-)
Mum to Roo born Feb 2011 and Wee One born April 2014 - each one a miracle.
FestiveTidings

Postby Krysta » 12 Jan 2013, 10:19

Not really, it's more like food in the water/juice/tea. I guess it tastes better that way? :)
I blog about motherhood and vegan baby led weaning
http://afairytalecomesalive.blogspot.gr/
Krysta

Postby Jelly Belly » 12 Jan 2013, 10:30

Squirmy tends to use it more as a finger bowl before sucking the water off her fingers.
The Chooby 28/10/07
Squirmy 12/12/09
Baby Bam 13/06/13
Jelly Belly

Postby eterna » 12 Jan 2013, 15:37

DD went through a phase of putting all the food pieces into her cup - we also called it "soup" but it was pretty nasty a lot of the time, all sorts of weird stuff all thrown in there together, meat, pasta, fruit...sometimes she would even drink it...bleurgh!

But the phase passed.
Mom to A - Sep. 2009 & O - May 2013
eterna

Postby cvious » 12 Jan 2013, 17:55

Both food in the water and water in the food have been going on here for 18 months... She has perfect spoon use already. It's gross and our rule is only at home in her high chair, and no intentional spooning onto the floor (she still tries this often).
Mama to Strawberry, sprouted July 2010, and Baby Bird, June 2013
cvious

Return to Toddler Led Eating