is it possible to overfeed?

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

is it possible to overfeed?

Postby JollySergeantJackrum » 24 Jun 2012, 15:36

The bairn is 14 months and has been Blw since around 5.5 months. He still bfs morning and night.

The amount he eats is phenomenal. Most days he surprises me. Over the course of two meals he ate a whole galia melon as pudding. Half each day.

I plate up food for him into what looks like a reasonable portion then I double it. He often eats the whole lot. Fruit and cheese are simply inhaled. He also loves meat, drinks of milk or water and bread. He won't eat veg unless it's sweetcorn or peas.

Today before lunch he ate a pear, two Oatcakes and a rice cake. Then for lunch he had half a tin of beans and most of a slice of toast. Then he ate a banana and half an apricot. For breakfast he had had a bowl of rice crispies and 4 strawberries.

He has just woken from his sleep and had some cheese, raisins and a digestive. In about an hour he will be crying for tea.

Is it okay to feed him as much as he wants? He is tall and slim for his age and does not stay still unless being fed or reading a book.
Mum to the bairn, born 04/11 :)
Mum to the wee one, born 08/13 :)
JollySergeantJackrum

Re: is it possible to overfeed?

Postby CherryPop » 24 Jun 2012, 15:40

Yes it's fine! You'll be mourning these days when you get to the toddler living-on-air phase ;)

Seriously though, Jacob would often eat larger portions than DH or I would have, in the early days. Yesterday, he ate half a slice of garlic bread for his lunch.

It all evens out over time!
Mama to J born 10.3.09 and BabyPie born 21.11.12
Blogging: http://mynameis-beth.blogspot.com
CherryPop

Postby Rosie_t_Riveter » 24 Jun 2012, 15:42

It sounds like a growth spurt! Yes, I keep offering healthy choices and leave him to dictate the quantities. A month or so ago I had a conversation with myself about at which point you stop offering "breakfast" food and start offering "lunch" as he had eaten four servings of cereal! He is now on a living on fresh air phase...

It sounds like he is very active and needs the energy, so try not to worry.

Cross posted with Cherry.
TheWriggler - Aug 2009
BabyBean - March 2012
Rosie_t_Riveter

Postby BigFlower » 24 Jun 2012, 16:09

WTS ^^^^

It really does even out over time, plenty of living on thin air to come!!
DD - Feb 2010
BigFlower

Postby JollySergeantJackrum » 24 Jun 2012, 17:08

Thank you, all :)

There's a distinct possibility that I'll be back in a few months time going "why isn't my toddler eating?"

I'm just a natural worrier!
JollySergeantJackrum

Postby Rosie_t_Riveter » 24 Jun 2012, 17:10

Ha ha! Well, if you do we'll tell you that's fine too. :D
TheWriggler - Aug 2009
BabyBean - March 2012
Rosie_t_Riveter

Postby Louisianablue2000 » 24 Jun 2012, 17:20

Some kids just eat loads. DD1 was like this, as soon as she started eating solids she ate phenomenal amounts and still does at four. She is a skinny runty thing but loves her food - exactly like her father and uncle. The thing that stands out now is that she can't sit still, watching her watching TV tires me out, she's up and down and doing the actions and running about and getting bored and going to do something else all the time, again, exactly like her father. She's just full of energy and so needs to eat a lot to keep her energy levels up. Enjoy having a child everyone else is jealous of!
See DD1's first few meals here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/louisianab ... 629434614/
See DD2's weaning video here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/louisianab ... 826217940/

DD1 Dec 07, DD2 June 09, DS Sept 12
Louisianablue2000

Postby luverlylisa » 24 Jun 2012, 18:12

yea that sounds fine, mine has eaten half a weetabix, half a punnet of blueberries, quarter of honey dew melon, a bowl of brown rice with broccoli, peas and beef mince bolongese, roast chicken dinner, a large banana, half a rusk (my nan gave it :? ) half a pear and a few bites of pasta a green pesto, with a cup of milk morning and night - and some days he has more than that! i was shocked when it started but i asked around and it seems pretty normal apparently, and mine will stop when he has had enough, it just takes a long time and a lot of food to get to that point!
luverlylisa

Postby JollySergeantJackrum » 24 Jun 2012, 18:39

We do sometimes run out of food before he is finished.

I suppose it's a nice problem to have!
JollySergeantJackrum

Postby CPinho » 26 Jun 2012, 12:53

I wish I had that problem :)
My DD doesn't eat that in a week probably
Mum to R, born March 2011, and S & I, born October 2013
CPinho

Postby Louisianablue2000 » 26 Jun 2012, 20:04

JollySergeantJackrum wrote:We do sometimes run out of food before he is finished.

I feel your pain. We usually try and make enough to have leftovers to take to work the next day. There are certain meals that we have to remove the serving plates from the table because however much we make there is never enough (Delia's macaroni with leek and bacon being the No1 culprit). We also have to buy as much meat for the girls as we do for ourselves because they eat so much. And yet both of them you can count their ribs!
See DD1's first few meals here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/louisianab ... 629434614/
See DD2's weaning video here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/louisianab ... 826217940/

DD1 Dec 07, DD2 June 09, DS Sept 12
Louisianablue2000

Postby Seriously_Nutty » 26 Jun 2012, 20:49

My 15mth old often finishes the meals of my 2yo and 3yo. He's a dustbin at the moment.
“You can learn many things from children. How much patience you have, for instance.” - Franklin P. Jones
Seriously_Nutty

Postby JollySergeantJackrum » 24 Oct 2012, 19:02

Just wanted to come back and update.

The bairn is now 18 months and still eats a ridiculous amount. He'll eat 6 meatballs or 3 large sausages or more than 1 chicken breast along with veg and pasta/rice for his tea and still has room for yoghurt and fruit.

I think he's just a big eater as he goes through the occasional week of eating not very much then goes back to normal. He's still proportionate - 75th centile for both height and weight. He does lots of exercise. His dad eats a lot too. For a meal for the three of us we require 500g of meat or 11 sausages, or 5 chicken breasts. That's two adults and a toddler!

(I am trying not to think about what will happen when the bairn is a rapidly growing teenager. We may have to remortgage to keep him in food!)
JollySergeantJackrum

Postby Popsie » 31 Oct 2012, 10:42

Crikey!!!! That's a lot of food. Sounds like a days food for your LO could feed Midge for at least 3 normal days or a whole fussy week!!!
Proud mummy to my gorgeous girlies
M is 5 and B is 1
Popsie

Return to Toddler Led Eating