How to you disguise cows milk for drinking

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

How to you disguise cows milk for drinking

Postby FestiveTidings » 30 May 2012, 19:42

Other than using (not keen on sugar content) or making smoothies (which are too thick to drink from a sippy cup!)

I was thinking of adding a teaspoon of flavoured yoghurt to some milk but not sure how that will turn out?

Roo will drink flavoured cows milk but not plain.
Mum to Roo born Feb 2011 and Wee One born April 2014 - each one a miracle.
FestiveTidings

Re: How to you disguise cows milk for drinking

Postby LucyL » 30 May 2012, 20:16

sweetcheeks wrote:I was thinking of adding a teaspoon of flavoured yoghurt to some milk but not sure how that will turn out?

I drink milk that way (a tablespoon or two of yoghurt though), and love it. It's called lassi, though I think for it to be "authentic" lassi it ought to be plain yoghurt with either a pinch of salt or a drizzle of honey.
Mum to two gorgeous boys, Bookworm (May 2009) and Little Tiger (November 2011)
Musings about our homeschooling journey at www.smallstepstoabiggod.org
LucyL

Postby Turtle'sMammy » 30 May 2012, 20:17

T usually has yoghurt in his milk. I'm not too keen,but he loves it!
Mother to T, July 2008 & A, June 2012
http://turtleturtleturtle.wordpress.com/
Turtle'sMammy

Postby catkin » 30 May 2012, 20:38

Is it necessary to disguise cows milk? Kinda goes against my idea of BLW to try to disguise one food as something else.
What's your actual concern? Dairy intake? Could you give him yoghurt, cheese etc instead if he doesn't like drinking milk?
Also, mouse would never drink cows milk (or mummy milk) from a sippy cup, but did like it once it was offered in a mug. Particularly warmed up with a little cinnamon or nutmeg in, if that's not too flavoured for you. Sorry, can't remember how old your roo is, but in the TLE forum I guess he must be old enough for open type of cups?
Mum to Mouse b May 2009 & Little Hamster b Feb 2012.
catkin

Postby BLTMama » 30 May 2012, 20:54

I struggled getting milk replacers (we're dairy free) into Badger for a long time. I've been known to resort to chocolate powder (you can make your own fairly easily and I put almost no sugar in mine), but in the end I was too lazy to do that all the time and just kept offering it straight and eventually she drank more (up to around 4 ounces a day from 0-1, but still). She prefers it slightly warm over cold from the fridge, and is more likely to drink it if it's offered during the course of a dinner's worth of toasts ("A toes! To Daddy!"). If it's calcium you're worried about, there are other food sources for it. Badger LOVES sardines. Also calcium-fortified orange juice.
♥ Mom to Badger Dec 2009 and Little Tarsier Jun 2013 ♥
BLTMama

Postby FestiveTidings » 31 May 2012, 09:16

roo is 15 months and still makes a huge mess with open cups.

Calcium is a concern as he will only take yoghurt and then not every day. Cheese has to be hidden in pasta or other foods.

It's not only that but im trying to wean him off breastmilk during the days that I work. I express but I'm struggling to get decent amounts. He won't take anything else except breast milk unless it's flavoured. Im thinking that my mum can give him his flavoured milk while I'm working. Imy mum has tried offering food at times when he would usually have his milk but he obviously wants something to drink - and not water!!
FestiveTidings

Postby TeakettleSlim » 01 Jun 2012, 16:43

You could blend it with fruit for a thinner smoothie-type drink. Visited Costa Rica a long time ago and was served something described as a "milkshake"-- was surprised to find it was simply milk blended with berries. Once my expectations were adjusted, it was quite good. Fresh strawberries, blueberries, whatever he likes would work.
TeakettleSlim

Postby scotrail » 01 Jun 2012, 16:56

Why not offer plain drinking yoghurt or similar soured milk product? Much yummier..
scotrail

Postby FestiveTidings » 01 Jun 2012, 18:20

I was thinking about the drinking yogurts actually but haven't yet found them in my supermarket to check out the ingredients.

I've tried giving him a fresh fruit smoothie but he isn't too keen - perhaps ill try again now that more fruit is coming into season. Until now, the strawberries and raspberries have been pretty tasteless.
FestiveTidings

Postby qbm » 01 Jun 2012, 19:27

We had an appointment at the dietitian last week and it turns out that Hovis Best of Both has loads of calcium compared to other breads. Not sure if that's in any way helpful as it doesn't answer your question at all! Worth knowing though x
E - Aug 11
M - Feb 14
qbm

Postby FestiveTidings » 01 Jun 2012, 19:31

Actually, that's very interesting to know ratoncito - bread is one of his faves at the moment.

I'll add some to the trolley tomorrow along with drinking yoghurt and see how we go.
FestiveTidings

Postby qbm » 01 Jun 2012, 19:35

I've just gone and looked it up for you - clearly I have nothing better to do on a Friday night :OD

2 lge slices of white or brown bread = 72mg
2 lge slices of wholemeal bread = 39mg
2 slices of medium Best of Both = 382mg

Right, I better give my OH some form of attention.

:)
E - Aug 11
M - Feb 14
qbm

Return to Toddler Led Eating