Cows Milk Protein in breast milk

For the label-readers amongst us, a place to marvel at food manufacturers' ability to add milk powder to everything.

Cows Milk Protein in breast milk

Postby AB&M » 20 May 2012, 09:13

Did anyone see the post / thread on analytical armadillo about this? I only read first few comments but they were saying it's not possible :?

What do you think? I definitely see a reaction in kitten if I have dairy so for me personally I think it's true (& I was definitely in the hogwash camp before!).
Spammer executioner & heads together basher

Claire

Bruno 6
Annie aka kitten 1
AB&M

Re: Cows Milk Protein in breast milk

Postby Riotproof » 20 May 2012, 09:26

It definitely IS possible.

I'm sure I've seen a website which lists the ingredients in breastmilk.. casein appears. The only way to eliminate it is to eliminate from bf mum's diet. Sadly.

Here tis http://www.bcbabyfriendly.ca/whatsinbre ... poster.pdf
Cherub - Feb 2010.
Little miss - Jan 2015
Riotproof

Postby messtins » 20 May 2012, 10:32

I replied further down - and it definitely is possible. There's some debate about whether CMP can pass in all mothers or is a result of a "leaky gut" allowing larger than normal molecules to be absorbed into mum's blood stream. From my dim and distant teaching about digestion it should only be single amino acids that are absorbed and it's peptide sequences (short chains of amino acids) that cause a problem. Babies that react to CMP via breastmilk are likely to also react to the hydrolysed formulas like Pepti/Nutramigen 1. The figures are 2-3% of babies are CMPI but only 0.5% of breastfed babies. Whether those that react directly but not to breastmilk is because they are less sensitive and only react to the whole protein and not fragments of it, or because their mum's gut barrier is healthier and CMP is not transferred into milk I don't know.
Before I had M I was a "hogwasher" too!
Messtins, part-time vet, rest-of-the-time Mum to D 10/06 and M 05/10
messtins

Postby LucyL » 20 May 2012, 17:56

Mum to two gorgeous boys, Bookworm (May 2009) and Little Tiger (November 2011)
Musings about our homeschooling journey at www.smallstepstoabiggod.org
LucyL

Postby Louisianablue2000 » 20 May 2012, 19:01

See DD1's first few meals here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/louisianab ... 629434614/
See DD2's weaning video here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/louisianab ... 826217940/

DD1 Dec 07, DD2 June 09, DS Sept 12
Louisianablue2000

Postby Jelly Belly » 21 May 2012, 06:29

2-5 Hours of full on screaming every day until (in desperation) I cut out dairy. It definitely exists.
The Chooby 28/10/07
Squirmy 12/12/09
Baby Bam 13/06/13
Jelly Belly

Postby elaruu » 21 May 2012, 10:14

I thought there were no doubts about this. I couldn't find the post you were referring to though.

My experience is not so clear cut. A is very allergic still at over 3 years of age. I'm not sure about digestive issues with him, since he's never actually eaten much at all. He reacts with hives and respiratory distress (wheezing, sneezing/very sniffly nose), itchy eyes from contact and/or minimal ingestion. I first realised with him at 6 months of age when he first had exposure to dairy apart from through me. But it has only been in the past year that I have noticed the respiratory reaction. Until then I thought it was just hives. I cut out dairy when I found out at 6 months. Until then he had been a very sicky baby (small amounts constantly). And he had eczema from about 3 months. The sickiness seemed to stop suddenly at 6 months but I was never sure whether or not he had just outgrown it. The eczema seemed to clear up a bit but not completely when I stopped having dairy and if I cheated and ate some it seemed to get worse but it was never hugely obvious. BUT I reintroduced dairy at about 12 months when I was still bfing him a LOT, and he was almost eczema-free from 11 months until about 2ish.

J is not allergic or intolerant now. But from about 4 weeks I suspected something as he had quite bad reflux and was sicky in a similar way to A. A few weeks later he started having green poos constantly, often with very small amounts of blood in it. I cut out dairy and this cleared up but it took a couple of weeks. I dab tested him with milk a couple of times before 6 months with no reaction. And I re-introduced dairy into my diet when he was 5 months and he was absolutely fine. He eats dairy (even recently started drinking cows milk) and he's fine.
Mummy to two lovely Scottish-born boys - A 27/1/09 and J 9/3/11.
And an Aussie version - M 16/12/13 :).
elaruu

Postby Eleanor » 21 May 2012, 11:46

If you have a look at the scientific literature (PubMed, Google Scholar, there's loads) there is plenty of debate about what the mechanism(s) might be but a pretty overwhelming amount of evidence that it is real.
Eleanor

Return to Allergies