High calorie, nutritious snacks

Oh my God, look! Your baby is eating broccoli!
Feel free to boast about your child here.
And if it's not going so brilliantly yet? Come and have a right old whinge.

High calorie, nutritious snacks

Postby babydsmummy » 01 Apr 2012, 12:30

J is drinking less and less of his mid morning and mid afternoon bottles, so I've been offering him a snack too. However, I'm aware that I tend to give him things like baby biscuits, rice cakes, breadsticks etc which aren't overly nutritious. Obviously I don't want him to fill up on these things then not want his next meal, but he does seem to like grazing and I want to take advantage of any opportunity for him to eat something! What else can I give him that it still handy, portable, relatively mess free and most importantly something he will actually eat! He won't eat fruit or veg in that form. Obviously I keep offering fruit or veg as snack, uaully alongside the rice cakes etc, but it doesn't get eaten. He likes his dry, crunchy type foods. I've got to sticks of cheese then got stuck - any more ideas?
Mummy to two amazing boys: D (Oct 08) and J (June 11)
babydsmummy

Re: High calorie, nutritious snacks

Postby babydsmummy » 01 Apr 2012, 12:36

Just remembered that when I was a good mummy of one, I actually looked at the recipes section and made things especially for my lo occasionally. Maybe I should try that now... :wink: Any suggestions still very gratefully received though!
babydsmummy

Postby Rose99 » 01 Apr 2012, 12:42

How about cream cheese or hummus on rice cakes and breadsticks. Also my LO likes those fruit bars (date and banana or date and apple) which have a reasonable amount of calories but aren't obviously fruit.
Mum to DD born Dec 10 and DS born Feb 13.
Rose99

Postby shye » 01 Apr 2012, 13:03

With E, I swore by potato scones and added all sorts... Cream cheese, veggies, meat, etc...
Mummy to E (nov 08) and Birdy (dec 10)
shye

Postby AwayinaChive » 01 Apr 2012, 13:14

We make cheese straws but in the shape of little men and bears, or whatever cookie cutter shapes you have.

Also sugar free banana cookies based on this recipe: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3997&p=43253&hilit=banana+cookies#p43253

Also these I made up trying to copy the Organix bars: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=27512&p=315630&hilit=organix+recipe#p315630

And my dd's like to eat ground almonds and also dessicated coconut with a spoon out of a bowl. Didn't figure out how old your lo is though so maybe too young.
DD1- 7/2007, DD2- 2/2010, DS- 7/2006- in heaven

Wooden stuff I make and sell www.pebblegrove.etsy.com
AwayinaChive

Postby BLTMama » 01 Apr 2012, 13:20

Savory muffins, cubes of tofu, plain cooked beans, peanut butter cracker sandwiches, small seeds/nuts (sunflower, pine nuts, etc.). Olives, cubes of ham, slices of pepperoni or other cured meats (obviously these are all salt-bombs, but Badger LOOOOOOVES them all and they're okay in moderation, esp. as he gets older).

But also, don't sweat his snacks not seeming "balanced" -- I think as long as you're offering a variety, you shouldn't worry too much about what he chooses to eat. He's probably just in a carb phase, and you might find you spend a lot of time making something and he won't touch it anyway!
♥ Mom to Badger Dec 2009 and Little Tarsier Jun 2013 ♥
BLTMama

Postby thebean » 01 Apr 2012, 16:12

Harry was a real grazer up until about 2.5 now he some times snacks but not really bothered either way. I used to grind up brazil nuts and when I baked and used half flour half brazil nut for added protein (he didn't eat any meat until recently) but this would also up the calories in foods.
Sarah mum to Harry born 26.01.09 and Jack 5.04.2011
thebean

Postby babydsmummy » 01 Apr 2012, 18:01

Thank you, some great ideas there. I made some apricot flapjack things from the recipes section this afternoon. He seemed to really tuch in, but when I gathered together the leftovers at the end there was very little gone! How do they manage that?! Never mind, better than nothing. I'll try some savoury muffins next I think, he loves cheese! He already has cashew nut butter and cream cheese a lot for lunch, but they're a bit messy for on the go! I'll also try things like cheese straws and scones etc. I'd be worried about the salt if he ate more, but for now I don't think I'm too bothered! I like the idea of using ground nuts in baking, that's a great idea.
babydsmummy

Postby OnlyAGinger » 02 Apr 2012, 02:16

been getting into the habit of making sugar-free muffins and freezing them.
I've doctored the banana muffins from the BLW cookbook - adding wheat germ, flaxseed oil, greek yogurt, thawed frozen blueberries, chia seeds, etc. also, these have been a hit as muffins: http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/2010/0 ... kin-bread/
OnlyAGinger

Postby daydream97 » 02 Apr 2012, 09:10

with my dd she used to eat fruit/veg sticks like carrot/brocolli etc, grapes, peas, cheese cubes and as for baking mini savory scones/muffins etc :)
daydream97

Postby sabrina fair » 02 Apr 2012, 19:42

Have you tried drop scones? They're dead easy to make, you can easily add ground nuts in place of some of the flour, the egg and oil for frying increases their calorie load, and best of all - they're really non-messy!
Mum to monkeyboy (Spring 2011) and squidge (August 2013)
sabrina fair

Return to New to BLW?