Potty training points to intolerances - oh dear

For the label-readers amongst us, a place to marvel at food manufacturers' ability to add milk powder to everything.

Potty training points to intolerances - oh dear

Postby WishingBone » 14 Feb 2012, 22:02

Bear's always had messy nappies, but I've resisted my mother's urging to cut out this or that food, on the basis that there's no point depriving her of nutrients on a wild goose chase after some possibly imaginary ailment.

But she's been doing really well at potty training the past couple of weeks, but twice now at nursery they've had to put her back in a nappy because she's had episodes of constant pooing/diarrhoea. She was excluded after the first time, but now they agree with me that she's not actually ill. It must be dietary, I suppose, and it's not fair on Bear not to try to do something about it.

Both days have been heavy on milk (milk, yogurt, creamy sauce and two lots of cheese), which is more than she'd have at home. Nursery have suggested trying soy milk for a couple of weeks, which seems worth a try. The other culprit could be fruit - peaches one of the days, apricot the other.

Can these things be cumulative, ie she could tolerate a certain amount of lactose/fructose but not too much?

Any advice on how to proceed/possible avenues to pursue?
Bemused parent to the Bear (2009) and Smudge (2011).
WishingBone

Re: Potty training points to intolerances - oh dear

Postby Louisianablue2000 » 14 Feb 2012, 22:05

Keep a food/poo diary and see if you can see a pattern. If you think you can then speak to a doctor. I'd be very reluctant to cut out foods without a dietician's advice. They'll be able to monitor she is still getting enough nutrients why different foodstuffs are investigated. Any food would need to be removed for a few weeks and then reintroduced. Only if you see the effects disappear and then reappear could you show a definite link.
See DD1's first few meals here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/louisianab ... 629434614/
See DD2's weaning video here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/louisianab ... 826217940/

DD1 Dec 07, DD2 June 09, DS Sept 12
Louisianablue2000

Postby Fozza » 14 Feb 2012, 22:18

You could start by cutting down rather than out.
Mum to
3 boys on earth...my light
Owen and Luna in heaven...My forever babies.
Fozza

Postby difdif » 14 Feb 2012, 22:19

DS1 had a dairy intolerance that showed up when I stopped BF at 14 months. He had horrible nappies but no bad rashes or anything so gp said to just keep him off dairy a few days and that helped straight away. We then provided soy milk etc for nursery but he could have a bit of cheese without problems. He outgrew it by age 2.5ish.. So if Bear is otherwise fine a week on soy should be ok. Check with dr but ours didnt even want to check anything when no further symptoms.
And it is worth it to avoid those nappies/discomfort!
The wee Scotsmen F Sep 08 and C Jan 11
difdif

Postby ches » 15 Feb 2012, 01:40

I'm not sure she'd take soy unless stuffed with sugar, but you could try almond milk. Less of an acquired taste IMO.
BLPT Guidelines thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4477&p=48324
ches

Postby WishingBone » 15 Feb 2012, 11:16

Apparently she was happy with soy on her weetabix this morning, less so drinking it! Happy for them to cut down on dairy to see if it makes a difference, though it can't be the true/sole cause because she has dairy every day, poo or no poo. Looking at the daily menus, the common features are peaches and apricots - asked Dr Google and was told about sorbitol. Hmmm. Tbh I'd rather cut out stone fruits than dairy as a first resort, but let's do the soy thing for a bit and if apricot day causes problems next time we'll know it can't be the dairy.
Bemused parent to the Bear (2009) and Smudge (2011).
WishingBone

Return to Allergies