Lactose free alternative to mummy milk

For the label-readers amongst us, a place to marvel at food manufacturers' ability to add milk powder to everything.

Lactose free alternative to mummy milk

Postby LemonJuice » 20 Dec 2011, 19:41

Caterpillar will me 1 in a few weeks ( how did that happen?) and I'd like to stop expressing because I don't enjoy it. I've gone on this long because of intolerances. What milk do you give to replace breast milk for lactose intolerance?

I will of course be BFing when I am
Not working.
Mummy to Little Em (09/07) and Caterpillar (01/11) Bf-ing, co-sleeping, baby-wearing, baby signing, BLWing and BLPTing.
LemonJuice

Re: Lactose free alternative to mummy milk

Postby messtins » 20 Dec 2011, 19:47

We use calcium supplemented Oatly alongside breastfeeding and for cereal/milk puddings etc as my LO is dairy (cows milk protein) and soya intolerant. The dietician said it's not suitable as a main drink until they are two as it doesn't have enough protein or fat, but if it's a breastmilk substitute for when you are working I'm sure it would be fine, that's how we use it. My DS2 is 19m and we've used it since he was just shy of a year old.
Messtins, part-time vet, rest-of-the-time Mum to D 10/06 and M 05/10
messtins

Postby shye » 20 Dec 2011, 19:49

Lactose Free Whole Milk - tastes like normal milk - makes the transition to regular milk so easy peasy. E went from LF to regular milk at about 15-18 months.
Mummy to E (nov 08) and Birdy (dec 10)
shye

Postby BLTMama » 20 Dec 2011, 20:19

Is lactose or milk protein the issue? If it's lactose, then I agree w/ Shye that lactose free milk is perfect. If it's milk protein -- we use soy milk and I was told it is an acceptable alternative for cow's milk but that I should be more aware of calcium intake as 1)the calcium that's in it is not as bioavailable and 2) children generally don't drink as much soy milk as cow's milk (probably because it's gross).

That said, soy intolerance and dairy intolerance often go hand-in-hand, so if Caterpillar is soy intolerant too, then I've just said nothing useful. :oops:
♥ Mom to Badger Dec 2009 and Little Tarsier Jun 2013 ♥
BLTMama

Postby cloudcuckoo » 20 Dec 2011, 21:37

Lactofree is nice tasting, but doesn't cut it in our house for some reason. It appears to be a lactose intolerance, but lactofree milk doesn't totally fix the problem. Soya milk does though. It's worth experimenting, both are reasonably priced and available in the supermarket. I also experimented with Oatly because I can't stand soya milk myself, but Bits is happy with it and it's easier to get hold of than the Oatly.

You can get LF formula too, but it's mighty expensive without a prescription, and no-one would prescribe it to a child old enough to drink cow's milk, I think.
Two girls, Bug (2010) and Bobs (2007) in the cloud-nest, and a boy, Boo, too (February 2014)
cloudcuckoo

Postby shye » 20 Dec 2011, 21:39

E had LF formula prescribed till he was 18 months but the prescription started at 6 months...
Mummy to E (nov 08) and Birdy (dec 10)
shye

Postby cloudcuckoo » 20 Dec 2011, 22:07

Bobs did too. But I didn't need the formula for Bits this time as she simply WILL NOT drink milk unless direct from source or on her beloved cereal. In any case, by the time we saw the GP, she was over one and doc was ever so laid back!
Two girls, Bug (2010) and Bobs (2007) in the cloud-nest, and a boy, Boo, too (February 2014)
cloudcuckoo

Postby difdif » 20 Dec 2011, 22:14

Alpro does a junior (+1) soya milk now that is meant to be fine as main drink. It is quite new so DS1 just had normal soya milk from bf end at 14 months. He could still eat hard cheeses with minimal bad effects so wasnt too bad and grew out of the intolerance by 2.5 years..
The wee Scotsmen F Sep 08 and C Jan 11
difdif

Postby ches » 20 Dec 2011, 22:53

LG I would hurry and get a prescription for formula as he's under 1 and then get as much as possible to on the prescription.
BLPT Guidelines thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4477&p=48324
ches

Postby Noir » 21 Dec 2011, 09:56

I'm going to say absolutely nothing of any use here- but huh? How on earth is caterpiller nearly one? That's a bit scary.
Noir

Postby cloudcuckoo » 21 Dec 2011, 10:27

Ches, it may not be given. It's about £7 for a very small tin, and, when Bobs was small, the GP was only able to prescribe 3 weeks worth at a time. And then if we ran out and had no script, that was us paying instead. Whereas the soya and lactofree milks are only slightly more expensive than cow's milk, readily available, and far less faff.
cloudcuckoo

Postby MeganMom » 01 Jan 2012, 20:02

Anyone have any thoughts on Coconut Milk? That is what I have been drinking here in the States and it is the only substitute I have found that is tolerable to me..... But I am not sure how it would measure up for the baby once he is drinking milk....
MeganMom

Postby BLTMama » 01 Jan 2012, 23:28

Coconut "milk beverage" is fine -- probably a little better nutritionally for little ones than rice/oat/other grain-based milks as it has more fat in it, but it also has more sugar (naturally, but also often added). I was drinking it quite a bit for a while, but it's so expensive here and I find soy grows bearable the more you drink it. Almond milk has some good fat in it and tastes okay, but it's quite low calorie which isn't really a good thing for babies.

Soy has the closest nutritional profile to dairy milk and has the most protein -- if he tolerates soy I'd use that. If you're iffy about soy or if he doesn't tolerate it, oat is another that has some protein but it's got more sugar. Definitely read labels as most of the milk replacers are PACKED with added sugar, although there's no sugar added varieties if you look.

All of the milk replacers (generally) have added calcium that's theoretically the same amount or more as in dairy milk. But it's not bio-available in the same way as the calcium in dairy milk, so it's a good idea to keep food calcium sources (dark greens, some types of beans, molasses, etc.) in the back of your mind when you're planning meals.

My LO doesn't drink much milk replacer at all, but she's still nursing a lot so I don't worry about it as much as I might. You just need to make sure the fat/protein/calcium he'd be getting from dairy is replaced in his diet one way or another -- you don't necessarily have to offer any liquids other than water.
♥ Mom to Badger Dec 2009 and Little Tarsier Jun 2013 ♥
BLTMama

Return to Allergies