sad trip to allergist

For the label-readers amongst us, a place to marvel at food manufacturers' ability to add milk powder to everything.

sad trip to allergist

Postby cvious » 07 Dec 2011, 19:34

We visited the allergist yesterday since LO has had a couple reactions (hives) to tree nuts and things labeled with the "processed on same equipment as tree nuts and peanuts" disclaimer. Sure enough, she is had major reactions to all of them except almond (which the allergist said is more like a seed, but still a common allergen) in the scratch test. We had her tested for peanut too, which she has never eaten. She had the worst reaction to that, which really ruined my day. I knew she was allergic to nuts because of her reactions, but I was hoping to come away with some good news about peanuts and have one fewer thing to constantly worry about.

We're getting the blood test too, which will let us know about pine nuts and just have another measure of allergicness. She's had an allergic reaction to pine nuts, so I pretty much know how that will go.

Anyway, it was a rotten day. LO hated the whole thing and thought everyone was torturing her, even though she got to nurse and be in her wrap sling whenever possible (the sling was great for the blood draw).

The only bright side was we got advice on her eczema that has already helped, which was to bathe her every single day. I'd heard the opposite and had been bathing her weekly.
Mama to Strawberry, sprouted July 2010, and Baby Bird, June 2013
cvious

Re: sad trip to allergist

Postby ToothFairy » 07 Dec 2011, 20:08

{{{{{cvious}}}}} at least you know what she is allergic to, so can avoid them.
Mummy to M - September 1998, D - October 2007, and E - May 2010. All BF, cloth nappies, and carried in the same sling, not sure BLW existed in the 90s though!
ToothFairy

Postby Mummyto1 » 07 Dec 2011, 20:17

That must be really really hard. ((((Cvious and Strawberry)))). I hope they will give you some advice too regarding how to best protect her in the future.
Now proud Mummyto3 little crazies!
Mummyto1

Postby Pics » 07 Dec 2011, 21:18

Oh no. That must have been the opposite of what you were hoping for.
Mummy to 3 scrumptious BLWers, who sometimes rebel + ask for spoonfeeding (2007, 2010, 2013). Antilop chair, slings, cloth nappies, no steam mop but awaiting permission for special handshake which probably involves porridge.
http://www.slingtastic.com
Pics

Postby Riotproof » 07 Dec 2011, 21:40

Oh, that is so horrible. I feel for you.

Is there much chance of outgrowing nut allergies? I know for DS, the allergist said it was likely he'd outgrow milk and egg by 5, but nuts weren't mentioned because we weren't sure. I have reason to believe now, after a bad reaction to tahini that he's allergic to at least some.
Cherub - Feb 2010.
Little miss - Jan 2015
Riotproof

Postby cvious » 08 Dec 2011, 02:39

The allergist said 20% of people grow out of nut allergies at some point, and the chances are the same for peanut allergy. Both are usually considered a lifelong allergy. The plan is to repeat the blood test every year for now. I would so love it if she grows out of it!

I hope you don't find a nut allergy Riotproof. Maybe it's only sesame seed, though you do have to worry about cross contamination with that so it may not be much easier. My LO has had sesame on many occasions no problem, so we didn't test for that.
cvious

Postby Riotproof » 08 Dec 2011, 02:42

That's depressing.. I have avoided giving him any nuts as per the allergists instructions because he did come up positive on the skin prick test. But, my understanding is that given how awful his skin was at the time, it is possible to get a false positive.
I really DO need to book him in for the baked egg challenge, but I'm scared to. Pathetic, eh? Have to make it a new years resolution.
Cherub - Feb 2010.
Little miss - Jan 2015
Riotproof

Postby Singale » 08 Dec 2011, 04:59

Oh dear...
{{{cvious & strwaberry}}} that sucks.
At least you know what to avoid. Here is hoping that she'll grow out of it.

I'm constantly nervous about giving Tigerle anything. I've got a mild case of allergy that hardly bother me at all as I'll get a reaction only if all elements are combined (heat, exhaustion, dehydration, lowered immune system.... then I know to avoid prawns, lobster & the likes but otherwise I can eat them without problem). Occasionally I'll get a bad reaction, but nothing unmanageable.

BUT DH's family members have got some extreme allergy cases to various, sometimes seemingly random, substances. Some developed later in life which is why, despite our good luck so far, I'm constantly on edge - waiting for the blow to come. :?

And the conflicting advices whether it's over exposure/ build up of the allergens in the body vs. the shock of encountering it so late in life that is causing the body to over-react to the allergen are just doing my head in.
Tigerle's mum since Sept 2010
And now Pferdle's as well since July 2014
Singale

Postby jvnt » 08 Dec 2011, 06:17

Rp, could it be the sesame in the tahini? That's what the boy reacts to - seeds are ok, I guess because he doesn't come into contact with the oil when the seeds are whole.

(((cvious))) and others suffering, the allergy thing is so sad and occasionally frightening.
jvnt, mother to The Boy, August '09, Baby Dragon, January '12 and HP May '14.
jvnt

Postby wacky12 » 08 Dec 2011, 08:11

my twin developed an allergy to the onion family - onions garlic, leeks etc. about 10 years ago. Im sure it's from over-eating lots of junk food that had processed dried onion/garlic powder in like doritos and fast food.... I'm no skinny minnie (size22) but she is at least 10 stone heavier than I am (140lb.) She doesnt' get hives, she throws up in an immediate reaction if she eats something with them in it, which is why I think it's over exposure.
wacky12

Postby Riotproof » 08 Dec 2011, 11:00

Cherub - Feb 2010.
Little miss - Jan 2015
Riotproof

Postby BabyCat » 17 Jan 2012, 04:01

I apologize for the lateness of my response, but I was curious to know if everything was o.k. with your kiddo. We recently found out that our child was allergic to nuts as well. SO scary. Did anything else come out of your allergist visit? I'd like to know for future reference, if at all possible. I'd also like to know if is a feasible option for those with emergency conditions.

Thanks! Hope to meet you all soon. :)
Last edited by BabyCat on 18 Jan 2012, 11:47, edited 1 time in total.
BabyCat

Postby Jelly Belly » 17 Jan 2012, 10:14

The Chooby 28/10/07
Squirmy 12/12/09
Baby Bam 13/06/13
Jelly Belly

Postby cvious » 19 Jan 2012, 18:26

They do the oral exposure therapy studies here actually in our local university hospital. We're not sure about it yet with a 1-yr-old. Our allergist mentioned it (she's in the hospital where they do the studies). They even are starting it with tree nut for the first time this summer. DH really wants to wait, though, and our experience taking her to the hospital just for this testing was quite traumatic at her age. They put a drop of nut extract under their tongue on some regular schedule. I hope we can do it in a few years if she doesn't grow out of her allergy. I'm so scared of her starting school and being off on her own to speak up for herself about food she's offered. I feel like we should take advantage of being so close to one of the hospitals involved in the research, though she could end up in the control group of course or in a study where the treatment doesn't work.
cvious

Return to Allergies