School shoes - quick poll

Best high chair? (We all know it's the Ikea one really but refusniks will bring us tales of Tripp-Trappery and booster seats). Have you discovered an excellent finger food snack, toothbrush, bib or more importantly A Lipstick That Really Does Stay On?

School shoes - quick poll

Postby LucyLastic » 30 Aug 2016, 13:14

When I was a kid, my Mum told me I had to have Startrite shoes as they supported my feet better. I have always bought Startrite for C, but I was wondering what your thoughts are re school shoes. I don't think that people who didn't wear Startrite or Clarks all the way through school have hideously deformed feet these days, but I haven't asked! C has had several pairs of Sainsbury's sandals and summer shoes which have been fine and good value for money. Clarks and Startrite are £40 per pair and probably need polishing. Opinions, please!

Edited to change 'foot' to 'feet'. My Mum didn't just get me one good shoe :-)
Mummy to C (May 2012)
LucyLastic

Re: School shoes - quick poll

Postby Marrow » 30 Aug 2016, 13:55

We buy barefoot shoes (happy little soles or independent shop) for C when we want actual shoes, and cheap sandals / wellies. But we haven't had the school experience, so no idea whether they'll stand up to that!

Reasons - we like the designs, they fit C's ridiculously wide feet, the barefoot philosophy chimes with my experience.
Mum to a Courgette (July 2012)
Marrow

Postby sabrina fair » 30 Aug 2016, 14:15

Same as marrow - I'm about to order from the happy little soles website for monkeyboy's new school shoes. Barefoot shoes can be expensive but they have flexible soles that move with feet, plenty of space around the foot so they're not squashed, and no heel rise.

I'll gladly buy cheap shoes from the supermarket etc when I can find suitable - but they have to have flexible soles that provide plenty of space to move. E.g. We've often found soft beach shoes for summer that follow that pattern.
Mum to monkeyboy (Spring 2011) and squidge (August 2013)
sabrina fair

Postby Kanga » 30 Aug 2016, 14:45

Same here. I've always got expensive shoes for their main pair, be that school or not for the littler ones. I get sandals/wellies etc from the supermarket except ds1 has such narrow feet a lot of high street stuff doesn't fit him! Clarks didnt even go narrow enough when he got his first shoes! :?
Mummy to 2 gorgeous munchkins who are trying to eat us out of house & home! Dd A born July 08 and ds J born June 12. V3 due October 2014.

Also selling handmade gifts etc at http://www.alittleroar.com
Kanga

Postby StJuniper » 30 Aug 2016, 16:38

I got both boys Chuck Taylors this year. They're quite minimal, and not as expensive as the true barefoot shoes I've found. Also relatively easy to find secondhand. I expect I'll put all my kids in them until they're old enough to buy their own shoes, at which point, if I've raised em right, they'll still pick Chucks because they're the coolest...
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby LucyLastic » 30 Aug 2016, 16:51

Okay, thanks. I've always put her in Startrite then bought wellies and samdals from Sainsbury's, so not a far cry from what you're all saying. I've just got back to Tunbridge Wells where I bought her a pair of Startrite shoes for this year. I may well end up getting shoes from M&S next year - if their boots for women are anything to go by, they're really comfy and great value. Anyway, she's stomping around in her new shoes. Thanks for sharing.
Mummy to C (May 2012)
LucyLastic

Postby Lily » 30 Aug 2016, 18:23

I've missed the boat on recommendations here - fwiw we always get ours from happy little soles too - but just wanted to add that their feet really don't need 'support'. Exactly the opposite, in fact: they need plenty of space to wiggle and spread, and freedom to move naturally, which is why barefoot shoes are great. You want ones with the flattest possible insoles (no built-up instep), flexible soles and a wide toebox.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Return to Product Recommendations