Do I need a beach shelter/sunshade?

Best high chair? (We all know it's the Ikea one really but refusniks will bring us tales of Tripp-Trappery and booster seats). Have you discovered an excellent finger food snack, toothbrush, bib or more importantly A Lipstick That Really Does Stay On?

Do I need a beach shelter/sunshade?

Postby Lily » 19 May 2016, 18:27

We're going to the Cote Vermeille this summer (the bit of France just round the corner from Barcelona). It will be the first proper beach holiday we've done with kids and I'm not really sure what we need, and what will just be useless extra weight.

Specifically, do I need to buy a sunshade or shelter? I'm thinking of one of those UV-proof tent or awning things. The local beaches are not very commercial, not the kind of place where you can rent an umbrella, so it's that or nothing. Obviously the kids will have hats, rash vests etc, and will likely be off paddling and rock pooling a lot, so will I regret buying one?

And is there anything else I need that I won't have thought of?
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Re: Do I need a beach shelter/sunshade?

Postby StJuniper » 19 May 2016, 18:50

I'm always glad for shade at the beach. I wouldn't think you'd regret buying it.
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby Cofa's Tree » 19 May 2016, 19:07

We've got one that we can all sit in (on the floor) and we've used it loads...partly because us adults both burn easily so it's for us as much as for the kids! It's currently on its last legs with one of the poles broken - if our holidays don't clash then you'd be more than welcome to borrow it, but it may have its final day at any moment so you might want your own/a more reliable option!
Cofa's Tree

Postby qbm » 19 May 2016, 19:08

Not sure what else you'd need but I echo what StJ says. We also use the wee sun tent we picked up last summer in the garden regularly (well, as regularly as we get sun here in Scotland).
E - Aug 11
M - Feb 14
qbm

Postby mamapup » 19 May 2016, 20:00

Argh, just lost my reply.

Basically said, I wouldn't bother with a sun tent thing as they're super hot. We find all those bits to be dead weight. I know little Croc is a bit bigger than Bea but we never really used them. We ensure sun lotion, hats, lots of water and access to lollies. If little Croc gets tired we lie her on a towel with another one over her for shade. Seems to have worked well.

And ensure implements for sand digging. We're in the south of France right now and there's been a lot of digging!
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby Lily » 20 May 2016, 13:30

Thanks everyone! We were thinking the raised awning kind rather than the tent kind, to allow more of a breeze; maybe I'll get one anyway for use at home, and see how we're getting on with weight allowances when we come to pack. I tend to travel very light so hopefully there'll be room.

Digging implements definitely on the packing list!

Hope you're having fun mp. I can't wait for my hol, a month in France, first time we've been abroad since B was born.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby mamapup » 20 May 2016, 17:07

It's been fabulous. We are all gutted that we have to leave tomorrow. The kids have been on amazing form. Clearly good weather, beaches and amazing food agrees with us as a family!

Hope you also have a wonderful trip. A month, wow.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby qbm » 20 May 2016, 17:13

Ours is completely open at one side so doesn't get hot at all. Ours has a pole though which is a bit more of a faff (marginally) than having a pop up one.
E - Aug 11
M - Feb 14
qbm

Postby Lily » 20 May 2016, 20:25

Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Return to Product Recommendations