Talk to me about bunk beds

Best high chair? (We all know it's the Ikea one really but refusniks will bring us tales of Tripp-Trappery and booster seats). Have you discovered an excellent finger food snack, toothbrush, bib or more importantly A Lipstick That Really Does Stay On?

Re: Talk to me about bunk beds

Postby Kitcameron » 26 Apr 2016, 13:32

Ooh I like that and it says standard uk size is 199cm which would cut for us get a lot seem to be over 2m. I wonder how far it is from Dublin to Derby.
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Postby Kitcameron » 26 Apr 2016, 13:44

This is the one I like (sorry for clumsy link)

http://www.argos.co.uk/m/static/Product ... le+single+

I can't decide if I'd prefer a trundle bed underneath which could be pulled out to start with in case CM fell out of if I'd prefer storage for all the bedding, which would be very useful.
Kitcameron

Postby EnigmaFish » 26 Apr 2016, 17:31

It's six and a half hours, including the ferry. (Thank you, google maps!)
I can't see the beds in your link, but if you like that one look at the other ones on adverts.ie. If you filter by shops or new, you'll see a lot of other similar ones.
If you're worried about cm falling out, what about a bed rail guard? Or even just a spare mattress on the floor?
v1.0: Kleintje, born January 2012.
v2.0: Newt, born July 2014.
EnigmaFish

Postby UnhappyRightFoot » 26 Apr 2016, 23:32

Everything MP said!

We moved ours into bunks last November, so they were 3 1/3 and 5 1/5. It took a couple of weeks for the novelty to wear off so they didn't spend 3 hours nattering at night. Now the sleep just fine and don't disturb each other. They love being together and it gives us a small play room/just-about-squeezes-in-a-double-blow-up-bed-if-you-don't-shut-the-door room!

We also looked at the trundle option but decided a draw would be more useful for us and we could get a little blow up/roll up bed as and when needed. It's a great idea though. There are beds that have rails top and bottom (ours does - it looks a bit like a white picket fence, which I like!!!)

This is ours - it's only 190 long. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EASYDREAMS-WI ... 25ba1f41b8

Bed making is a PITA. Both of them. Especially getting the waterproof undersheet to lie flat whilst trying to get the fitted sheet is, erm, fun. (or a job for DH!)

We do allow them to sleep together at weekends and holidays, not school nights.

I really like the idea of wall stickers.
Mummy to my two miracle baby girls - The Thunder Fairies. Munchie born May 2010 and Ickle Pickle born July 2012.

The one who struggles, hasn't quit.
UnhappyRightFoot

Postby LucyLastic » 26 Apr 2016, 23:43

Not strictly 'bunk' related, but you might want to consider getting some Clevamama mattress protectors, or similar and putting two on underneath the sheet. Particularly for the top bunk. This means that if they have an accident or are sick in the middle of the night, you don't have to faff around remaking the bed, you can just take off the sheet and top mattress protector. They are soft enough to sleep on without necessarily needing another sheet on top, if it's chaos with vom and poorly children. The last thing you want to be doing at times like those is hunting for clean bed linen. That, flannels rather than wet wipes, shower curtains on the floor and the Antilop are the 4 best tips I have gleaned from here, by the way :-)
We got C's mattress from Ikea, btw - sprung but not too deep, following Rp's advice. And only £60.
Eta Another vote here for stickers. We let C 'decorate' her bed with whatever stickers she can lay her hands on. Then I remove all of the Mr Tumble ones :-D
Mummy to C (May 2012)
LucyLastic

Postby StJuniper » 27 Apr 2016, 01:52

See, then it's time's like these that I'm reminded that I may be a neat freak but I do fit in in other slovenly ways! If P has an accident in the night, I usually just throw a towel over it and deal with it in the morning...
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby Kitcameron » 27 Apr 2016, 15:12

Brilliant, thanks guys.

Anyone had the problem of little sibling wanting to join slightly bigger sibling to sleep in top bunk? I wouldn't put it past CM to try and climb the ladder (or indeed succeed in climbing the ladder. Maybe I'll just have to rely on SM grassing her up lol.

CM has now decided to start waking between 5 and 6 am so think I might try and put them off until sleeping better. I'm hoping it's just teething and not the start of a bad sleep streak but I'm just second guessing myself in everything ATM.
Kitcameron

Postby StJuniper » 27 Apr 2016, 17:22

R can not only climb the ladder, but also the headboard. And the built-in bookshelves. I just accept it. I mean, not at bedtime, but in general I don't bother trying to keep him on ground level...
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby mamapup » 27 Apr 2016, 18:06

Little Croc can climb too. She doesn't climb in to her bed in the normal way but through rungs on the ladder or over her bed guard. She got very excited about climbing the ladder initially and still does every now and again but our kids know not.to piss about at bedtime so we aren't worried for that time of day. I just wouldn't leave her in there alone at the moment. She is pretty.good though as she does.know we are super strict there.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby Kitcameron » 28 Apr 2016, 05:53

Haha, yes I saw one if your videos of little croc climbing into bed on FB RP.

CM has just reached that stage where she's realised that no actually does mean no, so looking forward to trying to restrain her at bedtime. She can be a right madam, and by that I obviously mean a strong independent woman of the 21st century.
Kitcameron

Postby mamapup » 28 Apr 2016, 08:17

Like like like.
I had that conversation with little Croc this morning. She was lying on me and I was telling her never to change or let people tell her to stop being strong. She looked at me, moved my hand from her and shouted "don't touch me, mummy". Oh well. She heard my message, I guess.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby Kitcameron » 28 Apr 2016, 11:42

Lol, how do we survive our feisty little ladies?
Kitcameron

Postby UnhappyRightFoot » 28 Apr 2016, 20:41

Mummy to my two miracle baby girls - The Thunder Fairies. Munchie born May 2010 and Ickle Pickle born July 2012.

UnhappyRightFoot

Postby Kitcameron » 29 Apr 2016, 05:19

Hmmmm, I'm not sure about that one lol. CM has got herself into a 5am funk. I can't get her to stay in bed past then and I'm exhausted. Not loving this at all. Really praying it's a teething issue not something that is going to become an ongoing feature of our lives. She was my good sleeper baby up until a week ago. And SM is still waking and shouting for me most nights, last night it was only twice but the night before seven. F*******. Times.
Kitcameron

Postby UnhappyRightFoot » 29 Apr 2016, 08:55

Oh lordy. That sounds tough.

Without wishing to state the blinding obvious (if you've already done these!), have your tried gro clock or black out curtains or even wake to sleep? We did have a similar phase with pickle, but she has got later at getting up. The lightness in her room definitely makes a difference!

UnhappyRightFoot

PreviousNext

Return to Product Recommendations