Talk to me about bunk beds

Best high chair? (We all know it's the Ikea one really but refusniks will bring us tales of Tripp-Trappery and booster seats). Have you discovered an excellent finger food snack, toothbrush, bib or more importantly A Lipstick That Really Does Stay On?

Talk to me about bunk beds

Postby Kitcameron » 25 Apr 2016, 16:00

SM is 3.5 and CM is almost 2.

SM isn't a great sleeper and CM is currently waking early due to teething.

Am I crazy to think about moving them into bunk beds when they currently have their own rooms?

The reasoning behind it is partly because next door are getting really pissed off at the noise the girls make in the night (basically he's being a khtf and completely unsympathetic to the fact that they're only little and don't always sleep through. Ok SM can be a pain when she starts screaming but were being careful to try and get to her before that happens)

But the bigger reason behind it is we wondered if SM would sleep better if she knew she had her sister with her. I know other people whose girls often curl up together when one is scared or whatever and wondered if just having someone else in the room would help allay her fears.

Anyway, if I'm not crazy what do I need to look for when buying bunks?
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Re: Talk to me about bunk beds

Postby Lily » 25 Apr 2016, 16:35

Not specifically bunk-related but I think that's a sensible plan. My two sleep fine separately at home, but when we're staying with someone Izbiz prefers to share with Bee. If he's alone he wakes and calls for me, but with her in the room he sleeps through, even if she wakes and cries. Having company is reassuring.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby BLTMama » 25 Apr 2016, 16:42

Before you buy a bunk bed, could you try just putting a mattress on the floor for a while for one of them? It could be sold as a fun sort of camping experience. If it turns out to be worse to have them together, you haven't lost anything, and if it's good you might have a better idea what sort of sleeping arrangements would work best.

With those ages I might be more inclined to try a trundle bed or two small toddler beds side-by-side?
♥ Mom to Badger Dec 2009 and Little Tarsier Jun 2013 ♥
BLTMama

Postby Kitcameron » 25 Apr 2016, 16:50

When I was planning this a while back for sometime more n the future that was my plan BLT, but now the only space available to do that is the room next to khtf. On the other hand I guess if they're both in together and one yells then I'm likely to run through to but them up ASAP anyway. i suspect we'd have to give it a few nights for them to get used to each other being there and not just fart about at bedtime anyway but it might work lol.

I'm glad you think it's sensible anyway. Eating for MP or Little Rascal to join us as I think she'll have some good insight into bunks, if I'm right in thinking her kids have bunks anyway
Kitcameron

Postby StJuniper » 25 Apr 2016, 17:36

Our are in bunks. I think we moved them around R's second birthday, though P was closer to 4. I do agree that the boys sleep better together than alone, they find each other's company reassuring, but equally they sleep in a lot less.

Also if you have the beds against the wall (vs perpendicular) the top bunk is kind of a pain to make. We have a small IKEA step stool by the bed so we can climb up and down to say good night, lift P down for late-night potty trips, etc.
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby mamapup » 25 Apr 2016, 18:25

Yup. I do have kids in bunks. We did it just before Xmas so almost 3.5 and 1.5. Little Croc on bottom with a bar to stop her falling and the puppy on top. No one has fallen.

We are strict about who is allowed on the top bunk - only.one child alone or two children with adult and we never vary.

The puppy was already a perfect sleeper before we put them together but little Croc wasn't sleeping through. She took a week to sort herself out. Now they entertain each other in the morning so don't bug us for an extra ten to twenty mins or so. The other day little Croc woke first and came in to us, the puppy was in tears wheb he woke and she wasn't there. So yeah, they grow to love sharing!

I do have practical advice: if you get lowish bunks, as we did, do not get expensive thick mattresses. You want cheap and thin. Kids don't need top quality as they're so light and the thinner the mattress the more space the child has. We regret spending hundreds on their mattresses. Little Croc has too little space and there's little we can do.

Also, get wall stickers to make the space personal for each child. My kids love their stickers so love going to bed.

And yes, making the beds is a pain in the freaking ass.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby Kitcameron » 25 Apr 2016, 19:50

We don't make beds lol, so that's not an issue. I think I remember you saying about the mattresses before. Like the idea about personalised stickers.

We mentioned having a sleepover to the girls this afternoon and asked if they anted to try tonight or when we go to Grandma and Grandads at the weekend as there are two beds in one room there anyway. CM didn't really make her opinion known and SM said at the weekend but changed her mind when I was putting them to bed. I asked CM if that was OK as they'd have to sleep in CMs too a nod she said yes but when I put the mattress on the floor she wanted to climb out of her own bed and sleep in the floor. I'm not ready for her to roam free just yet, there's a few things in her room which it wouldn't be a good idea for her to get hold of unsupervised. I am wondering whether I could just tidy up a bit and put both mattresses on the floor but I'm not sure if they'd sleep like that so I dunno. Might try it again at the weekend. We just ended up with screaming at not being allowed to get out of her bed and it taking over an hour to get her to sleep (cuddling my breastpads)

I'm wondering if I put her to bed first and kept SM up until she was asleep if that might work, She usually goes to sleep pretty quickly so SM wouldnt be delayed too long and she'd probably be in bed by 7.30 at the latest.

Any advice on types of bunks to look at? Do people prefer metal or wooden? Solid ends or just bars? Ladder position? That sort of thing.
Kitcameron

Postby StJuniper » 25 Apr 2016, 20:32

Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby EnigmaFish » 25 Apr 2016, 21:55

We are also on the hunt for bunk beds, so following with interest.
One of our must-haves is beds that split apart into two singles.
It's been so long since I made a bed that I genuinely didn't catch what StJ was saying. I thought "a pain to make" was some kind of autocorrect or typo.
v1.0: Kleintje, born January 2012.
v2.0: Newt, born July 2014.
EnigmaFish

Postby StJuniper » 25 Apr 2016, 22:15

Haha, ok, I accept that I'm the forum anomaly. I'm a neat freak, my problems don't apply generally :D
StJuniper

Postby Treeb » 26 Apr 2016, 00:27

I make my own bed but not L's usually. I just thought you were referring to it being difficult to put clean sheets onto the mattress.

Sorry, nothing constructive to say re: bunk beds.
Mama to big boy L born Sept. 2012, and baby girl A born June 2015.

http://treemama.wordpress.com/
Treeb

Postby StJuniper » 26 Apr 2016, 01:31

Changing the sheets is a whole other level of nonsense. Especially when you're 36 weeks pregnant.
StJuniper

Postby mamapup » 26 Apr 2016, 06:00

I was referring to changing the sheets. Horrendous. I make the beds before the kids get it every night. It's nice to get in to a made bed. Just means fluffing the pillow and straightening the duvet though.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby Kitcameron » 26 Apr 2016, 07:48

I said to DH that beds that split apart would be sensible, especially silly if we don't know if this plan is going to work or not. I've seen some nice looking ones on Argos website which are wooden with solid ends and split apart about £250 I think, does that sound reasonable? I think we might have an issue getting short ones as our space is only 2m long and most seem to be 2.02m or more. Will keep looking anyway.
Kitcameron

Postby EnigmaFish » 26 Apr 2016, 08:43

v1.0: Kleintje, born January 2012.
v2.0: Newt, born July 2014.
EnigmaFish

Next

Return to Product Recommendations