Handheld cordless Hoover

Best high chair? (We all know it's the Ikea one really but refusniks will bring us tales of Tripp-Trappery and booster seats). Have you discovered an excellent finger food snack, toothbrush, bib or more importantly A Lipstick That Really Does Stay On?

Handheld cordless Hoover

Postby Kitcameron » 19 Feb 2016, 09:09

My house is an absolute shit tip and I think/hope this may be the answer. A couple of friends swear by dysons, which are obviously very expensive but I am prepared to buy if I feel I can keep my house tidier. I am constantly embarrassed and disgusted by the state of my floors but taking the upright corded Hoover upstairs is a job and a half. I'm hoping if I get a little nifty one I'll just stay on top of it better.

So what do people recommend?
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Re: Handheld cordless Hoover

Postby yorkshirepudding » 19 Feb 2016, 09:58

My friend is also in love with her dyson, she asked for it for her birthday :o but it's good because her husband loves it too so he actually uses it!
Mummy to my little Christmas pudding, Moo, December 2012 and a summer pudding, baby E born June 2015
yorkshirepudding

Postby Lily » 19 Feb 2016, 12:01

I like my dyson a lot, and it definitely helps with stairs - hoovering the actual stairs as well as carrying the vac up and down. But it's not perfect. My main gripe is that the dust container is small and needs emptying very frequently. Like, once per room. That wouldn't be such a problem except that the dust doesn't just fall out, the cyclone sort of gathers it up into one massive dust bunny so that you have to fish it out. It might just be because we have a cat so his fur turns the dust into a fluff ball. And it's not a dealbreaker for me, but something to consider if you'd need to go downstairs to the bin after hoovering each room upstairs.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby LucyLastic » 19 Feb 2016, 13:21

All of the above - we have a Miele Cat and Dog dragalong thing (not upright) which is awkward to cart up and downstairs, so we got a Dyson cordless a couple of years ago, mostly to hoover up the BLW mess when we started! It's great so far. Had it nigh on three years and performance is still the same. Parts are easy to clean. It's really easy to just grab and whoosh* round the k-room or wherever. It's not quite as good as the Miele, but if I had to only keep one, I'd keep the Dyson. Emptying is a pain, if you have carpets, you get the fluff monster even if you don't have pets and it creates a dust cloud as it falls into the bin. I'd like to have a go with the G-Tech AirRam or whatever it's called, as I like the idea of how it compacts the waste. But if that's not so much of an issue for you, I'd definitely recommend the Dyson cordless.
*don't feel obliged to whoosh, that might just be a me thing.
Mummy to C (May 2012)
LucyLastic

Postby Kitcameron » 19 Feb 2016, 13:28

Whooshing sounds good to me.

The main negatives I see are that it fills up quickly and runs out if charge quickly but as my aim is to get to the point where I only have to do small areas at a time that probably isn't so much of an issue is it? I mean I'd still do the main Hoover with the upright but hopefully wouldn't have to do it as often if I was spot cleaning as I go.

I'm very tempted to go with the dyson I have to say. I wonder if they have them in our local Argos lol
Kitcameron

Postby LucyLastic » 19 Feb 2016, 14:00

Well, let's put it this way, if you get one, it isn't going to make your life any worse :-)
Mummy to C (May 2012)
LucyLastic

Postby Lily » 19 Feb 2016, 15:17

I've never had an issue with it running out of charge, and I usually use it to do half the house at a time (either upstairs or down). It does 20 mins on a charge, which is ample, especially because the motor's only going when you pull the trigger, so it's effectively switched off as you move between areas. You'd be surprised how much of your hoovering time is actually spent not cleaning, just shifting around into different positions!
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby LucyLastic » 19 Feb 2016, 15:48

Same here, I can do upstairs or downstairs in one go, even on turbo, if the floors are clear from clutter. It's also handy for hoovering the car and car seat.
Mummy to C (May 2012)
LucyLastic

Postby mamapup » 19 Feb 2016, 16:36

I don't think it's realistic to think you'll keep on top of hoovering with a handheld. It's backbreaking.

Better use the money to get a deep clean done and then promise yourself you'll stay on top of things from there. We used our hand held to clean floor after supper and that was it.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby Lily » 19 Feb 2016, 19:57

I assumed that by handheld we all meant cordless without a big heavy wheely bit, rather than mini DustBuster style. Cordless dyson isn't backbreaking at all, it's far lighter and easier to manage than a big heavy traditional Hoover. I definitely keep on top of the hoovering better now than I used to.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby LucyLastic » 19 Feb 2016, 22:40

Yes, the Dyson cordless is no dustbuster. I'm with Lily on this - I use it loads and the floors are way cleaner than they would be if I had to just use the Miele.
Mummy to C (May 2012)
LucyLastic

Postby mamapup » 19 Feb 2016, 22:48

Ah, my error. Sorry. I'm clearly not up to date with hoover technology.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby Kitcameron » 20 Feb 2016, 09:25

I did mean a handheld one but not for doing all the hoovering, just spots as and when they appear. Like under the high chair after dinner or when the kids have made crumbs somewhere. Small things that don't warrant getting the upright out every time but make the house look a right mess when not removed (yes I am that skanky). I'm still thinking of doing a proper Hoover reasonably regularly but hoping the ha duels will sort the day to day mess. And help me clean. the car too.

I went out and bought it yesterday anyway. It's too heavy for me to do a full room clean with t due to my hypermobility but like I say I wasn't buying it for that anyway.
Kitcameron

Postby LucyLastic » 20 Feb 2016, 13:33

Well, it can be 'handheld', if you put the brush or crevice attachment on it, but I tend to use it with the long pole. I tend to use it exactly as you say - spot cleaning under C's chair, the kitchen floor, etc. But it is robust enough to do a whole floor if you can't be bothered to get the upright out, whereas I wouldn't fancy trying it with a Dustbuster.
Hope you get okay on with it, kc.
Mummy to C (May 2012)
LucyLastic

Return to Product Recommendations