Fit bits or equivalents

Best high chair? (We all know it's the Ikea one really but refusniks will bring us tales of Tripp-Trappery and booster seats). Have you discovered an excellent finger food snack, toothbrush, bib or more importantly A Lipstick That Really Does Stay On?

Fit bits or equivalents

Postby bigcatmaniac » 08 Feb 2016, 19:24

Worth it or not? If so which one? Thinking first for DH's b'day next week - he likes sleek, techy things than link to an app (latest being our home thermostat). Was looking at the Fitbit HR but read mixed things about the HR measuring part of it being useless. Also would like one for myself eventually - when I can afford it. I am less into brands - just want something which is good at motivating me to love more.

Thanks

Bigcat
bigcatmaniac

Re: Fit bits or equivalents

Postby Marrow » 08 Feb 2016, 19:35

I've worn one since Christmas 2014. They replaced it no questions asked when the strap fell off in Dec 15, and again when the replacement was a dud. I have a charge, DH has one of the ones you keep in your pocket. Neither of us wish to swap. I've also heard the HR bit is pretty useless.
Mum to a Courgette (July 2012)
Marrow

Postby Kitcameron » 08 Feb 2016, 20:03

Dh has an HR which he loves but I got him that one when his heart rate was regularly over 100 due to panic attacks so it was good for monitoring that.

I have a flex which I'm fine with. I had the zip first which was ok but I like that this one measures my sleep. I wouldn't say it's accurate but i like it for a rough guide. I think it measures my step count better too.
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Postby bigcatmaniac » 08 Feb 2016, 20:59

Just spotted my typo - that should read motivate me to "move" more. I'm sure hubby would like me to love more - especially for his b'day! Ha ha.

Thanks guys - am off to look them up!
bigcatmaniac

Postby EnigmaFish » 08 Feb 2016, 23:35

Hehe... If he wants to motivate you to love more, he's going to have to do the work himself - we can't help him! :wink: :wink:
v1.0: Kleintje, born January 2012.
v2.0: Newt, born July 2014.
EnigmaFish

Postby Cofa's Tree » 09 Feb 2016, 07:55

:D

I love my Fitbit - I've got the Charge HR but take the HR reading with a pinch of salt. To me it's a marker of where my HR usually is so if it goes up or down I'd know to pay attention. I like knowing when it's up from exercise as well, but again the numbers are just a guide.

I'm finding the app really motivating, especially the challenges and I like getting green lines when I reach all my goals :) . I think it's fab.
Cofa's Tree

Postby qbm » 09 Feb 2016, 10:28

Can I briefly hijack...? What exactly is a fitbit? I keep meaning to ask...
E - Aug 11
M - Feb 14
qbm

Postby Cofa's Tree » 09 Feb 2016, 11:37

It's basically just a fancy pedometer QBM, which you wear on your wrist like a watch. It calculates steps, calories burned, distance, and measure heart rate and track sleep on some models. But it somehow goes beyond that, mainly through the app where you can get a more detailed breakdown of your stats, it links through to other apps such as My Fitness Pal so if you do enough steps, it will add to your calorie allowance for the day (although I try not to eat back any exercise calories unless glass of wine or a cheeky chocolate bar is needed at the end of the day!). And you can link up with other Fitbit users to see their step stats and set challenges amongst yourselves (to try and reach your step goal, or to see who can get the most steps in a day/week/weekend, etc).
Cofa's Tree

Postby ches » 09 Feb 2016, 21:18

I have a Basis Peak, and the HR bit is good (why I got it). It does phone notifications and stuff, which I turned off, and has a full watch face (which I wanted - i do a lot of public speaking). I will say that the phone synch can be a bit crap, but I have a low-end phone. Right now I have to unpair and repair the device every time I want to synch, but that could change with one phone update. I am very happy with it. I got my mom a fitbit HR when she was having stress-related health issues. She's 67 so she doesn't run, but walks a lot. The HR is less important to her now her health is back on track.
BLPT Guidelines thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4477&p=48324
ches

Postby UnhappyRightFoot » 10 Feb 2016, 10:08

I have a Fitbit Charge HR and I like it. I'm not a devotee (I can't be doing with inputting everything I eat onto the app, but that's just me! It's brilliant that you can take that kind of monitoring to such a level!) Although I will probably be paying more attention to it once I start the couch to 5K in a couple of weeks time!

Battery lasts well - about 5 days. And if you love gadgets and online toys, then it's great! My only bugbear with it is that you can't wear if for swimming. And you find yourself marching round the house at 11.45pm as you realise you're on 9744 steps just before you go to bed!!!!
Mummy to my two miracle baby girls - The Thunder Fairies. Munchie born May 2010 and Ickle Pickle born July 2012.

The one who struggles, hasn't quit.
UnhappyRightFoot

Return to Product Recommendations