Home laser hair removal?

Best high chair? (We all know it's the Ikea one really but refusniks will bring us tales of Tripp-Trappery and booster seats). Have you discovered an excellent finger food snack, toothbrush, bib or more importantly A Lipstick That Really Does Stay On?

Home laser hair removal?

Postby mindy » 27 Jan 2016, 15:03

Has anyone got an IPL laser hair remover?

I'm tempted by the Smoothskin Gold, but it's an awful lot of money.

7 months after having Small Boy I can't find any time to do legs or bikini, but am feeling hugely unattractive with too much body hair! I can't start shaving again as I haven't got time to do it frequently enough, and I'm wondering if it might be cheaper/easier in the long run to go down the IPL route rather than salon waxing (and the inevitable ingrown hairs as I don't have time to exfoliate either!).

Would be interested in any experiences, good or bad, thank you.
Two adorable, headstrong daughters: Roo born Sept 2008, Min born April 2011, and small boy who arrived Summer 2015
mindy

Re: Home laser hair removal?

Postby StJuniper » 27 Jan 2016, 15:39

I had laser hair removal done before I got married due to a huge struggle with ingrown hairs, but it didn't really work for me. It works best for high contrast hair (ie light skin and dark hair) so as a blonde with white skin, only about half my leg hair was zapped. Then I got pregnant and grew a whole new crop of dark hair. So kind of a waste of money for me. After I'm done with this pregnancy, I'm going to get electrolysis, which is supposed to be the most effective, because even after not shaving my legs for years, I still get ingrown hairs :(
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby ches » 27 Jan 2016, 18:26

I got an epilator on Amazon when pregnant with T. It came with a bonus shaver attachment. I can epilate both legs knee to ankle in about 5 or 10 min. Then I use the shaver on upper legs and bikini line. It was $100 and branded for men. When I epilate it lasts a good 4 weeks and if I use it on the lower legs only I don't struggle with ingrown hairs. There is one day of itching when the new growth pokes through the skin, though!
BLPT Guidelines thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4477&p=48324
ches

Postby mamapup » 27 Jan 2016, 20:15

I had laser hair removal in a salon a few years ago. It was six sessions and was amazing. But, as StJ says, best on pale skin with dark hair. And lucky, lucky me, that's my combo. So yeah it was incredible, pathetically I'd say it changed my life. I almost never ever have to shave at all now and there are almost no hairs at all.

I've not tried the home version but a friend got one a while back. I'll ask her when I see her in a week or so.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby emzit » 28 Jan 2016, 12:26

Tell me more mp! I'm dark ish hair and light skin and I have no time to shave my legs but I must because I am frequently in short things even in winter. I like the idea of life changing...
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Postby mindy » 28 Jan 2016, 14:48

Me too Emzit! Will be interested when you report back from your friend, MP.

I'm not sure how the home lasers compare to the salon ones, presumably less strong so you don't fry your skin.
Two adorable, headstrong daughters: Roo born Sept 2008, Min born April 2011, and small boy who arrived Summer 2015
mindy

Postby yorkshirepudding » 28 Jan 2016, 20:39

I'm lurking, I can definitely see the life changing possibility!
Mummy to my little Christmas pudding, Moo, December 2012 and a summer pudding, baby E born June 2015
yorkshirepudding

Postby mamapup » 28 Jan 2016, 20:42

If you can get to the salon it is incredible. Friend is away at the moment but I'll ask when I see her.

It hurts but gets less painful each time. You can't do it pregnant (had to stop for quite a long time, approx 9 months, I'd say!!) and wow, in the summer I had to think about if I could wear shorts or a skirt based on how long since I'd epilated. Now I never even look at the hair level on my leg pre deciding what to wear. Seriously, the most superficial thing I've ever done but I don't care, it's also one of the best things I've ever done. I'm basically evangelical about it.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby EnigmaFish » 28 Jan 2016, 23:59

I had my armpits and bikini (funny term, since I'm hardly ever in one) done between the two girls, and like mp I was very happy with it. The pubic hair (I'll go ahead and say it) has grown back a fair bit pq of the pregnancy, but I've only had to shave my armpits once in two years. I love it. I'll be going again to get it redone once I have the money, and I'll get my legs done this time, too. One thing to consider as far as practicalities is that it means you don't have to take a razor and shaving foam with you on holidays. That means a lot if you're not traveling with checked bags!
v1.0: Kleintje, born January 2012.
v2.0: Newt, born July 2014.
EnigmaFish

Return to Product Recommendations