Where do you buy your glasses?

Best high chair? (We all know it's the Ikea one really but refusniks will bring us tales of Tripp-Trappery and booster seats). Have you discovered an excellent finger food snack, toothbrush, bib or more importantly A Lipstick That Really Does Stay On?

Where do you buy your glasses?

Postby LucyLastic » 03 Dec 2015, 23:12

I had my eyes tested today as I am having trouble reading smaller text (I find myself doing that 'peering at it while holding it further away' thing that my Dad used to do). I am getting old :-(
Turns out I need glasses for reading (+1.25, if that means anything to anyone?) but I know nothing about buying glasses. Any tips/recommendations? You know how some people just suit all hats and all glasses? Well, that's not me. I'm not going to enjoy this process...
Thanks in advance for your pearls of wisdom.
Mummy to C (May 2012)
LucyLastic

Re: Where do you buy your glasses?

Postby Ali70 » 04 Dec 2015, 07:17

I don't wear glasses but know a lot of people who do.

Top tips for getting some that suit you - take someone with you whose opinion you trust. And take a selfie with them on. I find it easier to look at myself more objectively in a photo than a mirror.

DH gets his glasses from a local opticians because they have a range he likes and he's wore them for years.

My auntie has glasses for reading and gets them for about £1 a pair from places like TKMaxx, Home&Bargain etc. You buy them off the shelf according to the strength you need. She buys loads and has a pair in her bag, car, office, upstairs, downstairs etc. She's always losing them so won't pay dear.

My friend goes to Specsavers because she likes their 2 for 1 deals.

My dad goes to Tesco opticians because he can use his clubcard points to pay for his glasses.
Sproglet born April 2013
Ali70

Postby Lily » 04 Dec 2015, 11:17

If you find it difficult to get ones that suit you, then there's a lot to be said for a proper optician's rather than off-the-peg. My local independent optician has several advisors who help with selecting frames, and because they see so many people they can often make good suggestions that you might not think of for yourself. They will also adjust them to fit you properly (fiddling about with hinges, nose-pads etc), which makes a vast difference to comfort levels.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby Lilian20 » 07 Dec 2015, 05:10

I am wearing Zenni's polycarbonate composite right now and I absolutely love it. The only downside I've ever heard of for polycarbonate is chromatic aberration. However, I almost never notice this - maybe a couple of times a year when I'm looking at a specific type of light in my peripheral vision. Have you had different experiences.
Lilian20

Postby lizandimo » 09 Dec 2015, 03:38

I used to go to Specsavers (my family all still do), but partly that was because our local one had really good opticians and staff who were always very helpful in choosing frames and doing adjustments etc (the price helped too I think!). I definitely agree that the staff make a lot of difference. I chose my last pair of glasses by myself, at an optician attached to a supermarket and the lady who was working there wasn't really very helpful, I kind of got the impression she would have agreed with whatever I chose! I sometimes go back more than once, on different days to see if I still like what I saw the first time. You also have no obligation to buy from a place, so can you go to a couple places and see if you find someone helpful that you like?

And I feel your pain, I hate choosing glasses, always have.
DD - Nov '12
lizandimo

Return to Product Recommendations