how they work books for pre-readers

Best high chair? (We all know it's the Ikea one really but refusniks will bring us tales of Tripp-Trappery and booster seats). Have you discovered an excellent finger food snack, toothbrush, bib or more importantly A Lipstick That Really Does Stay On?

how they work books for pre-readers

Postby busmother » 19 Nov 2015, 13:17

Can anyone tell I'm Christmas shopping? Or attempting to?
W in particular is fascinated by how things work, he loves to look at anything mechanical - the brake on the buggy, a lever that shuts a gate and follow through how it works. I have some Usborne books from my childhood - Things at Home and Things that Go that have quite clear step by step illustrations of familiar things - telephones, televisions, doorbells etc, and rockets, trains, submarines which he can follow even though he can't read, and he loves Richard Scarry's water wheels, mines and paper mills, but I'd like to find something more contemporary. There are lots of books out there with some cutaway drawings and then lots of tiny writing explaining what's going on, but I can't find any that you can follow even without reading. Any suggestions for a Richard Scarry for the 21st Century?
Mother to twin buses, born 2010, and number 3, born 2015
busmother

Re: how they work books for pre-readers

Postby mamapup » 19 Nov 2015, 18:52

We are big on Richard Scarry here too, unfortunately. Also loving usbourne. the puppy loves their books about the body. We have a brilliant random one about sewage and eating. Not sure who made that but can have a look of you like.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby Lily » 19 Nov 2015, 21:19

Yes, the Usborne Look Inside books are good for this kind of thing. We've got Look Inside Your Body and Look Inside Things That Go, and can recommend both. They do have lots of captions, but the way the flaps show different layers or elements of each thing is self-explanatory.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby StJuniper » 20 Nov 2015, 20:16

Not a good Christmas gift obviously, but we love the show How It's Made for this sort of thing. Lots of episodes on YouTube...
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby bryanwalker » 21 Nov 2015, 10:15

Yes it will not be a good gift.
bryanwalker

Postby UnhappyRightFoot » 21 Nov 2015, 10:28

We bought a series of books called "I wonder why...?" Which covers a specific topics in each book. I can't remember if there are any mechanical type ones - I can check in a few days - but there are things like "I wonder why stars twinkle" and volcanos erupt etc. Then the book goes into more detail about space or the earth etc. Lovey pictures which little ones will enjoy.

My girls love them, especially when they are related to topics at school.
Mummy to my two miracle baby girls - The Thunder Fairies. Munchie born May 2010 and Ickle Pickle born July 2012.

The one who struggles, hasn't quit.
UnhappyRightFoot

Postby StJuniper » 21 Nov 2015, 17:29

Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby busmother » 25 Nov 2015, 10:32

Thanks all - some good suggestions. I had forgotten about 'how it's made'. We used to watch them a lot on the computer in the days before Cbeebies genie had come out of its bottle. But I will remember that it does not make a good gift.
Mother to twin buses, born 2010, and number 3, born 2015
busmother

Return to Product Recommendations