Smelly clothes!

Best high chair? (We all know it's the Ikea one really but refusniks will bring us tales of Tripp-Trappery and booster seats). Have you discovered an excellent finger food snack, toothbrush, bib or more importantly A Lipstick That Really Does Stay On?

Smelly clothes!

Postby mindy » 30 Oct 2015, 14:39

Highly embarrassing, but I can't get the smell of sweat out of my clothes! It's mostly tight long sleeved tops I wear under things, and I'm guessing it's the Lycra that holds the smell as they are mostly just cotton and Lycra. Have tried bio washing liquid, and started using vinegar instead of fabric softener (as per Dr Google's suggestion).

(I use pitrok mineral deodorant which is MOSTLY effective, but not always.....).

I'm fed up with being whiffy when I'm clean, can you suggest anything to help please?
Two adorable, headstrong daughters: Roo born Sept 2008, Min born April 2011, and small boy who arrived Summer 2015
mindy

Re: Smelly clothes!

Postby mamapup » 30 Oct 2015, 16:32

New clothes. I think when clothes get old they retain the smell. Sorry.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby mindy » 30 Oct 2015, 19:53

But they are fairly new! Perhaps I need disposable tops.
Two adorable, headstrong daughters: Roo born Sept 2008, Min born April 2011, and small boy who arrived Summer 2015
mindy

Postby Brigitte » 31 Oct 2015, 07:52

As a last resort, you could boil the clothes with vinegar water. I do it with my dishrags when they get too stinky, I put them in a bowl of water and vinegar and microwave them for 12 minutes. Then I put them in the regular wash, and they come out smelling like nothing at all. Of course, this might ruin your clothes, but if you're on the verge of throwing them out anyway then why not try it?
I love my kiddos! Two April girls (2011 and 2013) and a May boy (2016). I guess we have spring babies in this family.
Brigitte

Postby LucyLastic » 31 Oct 2015, 13:21

Maybe try soaking in Ariel first (not for too long), scrub the offending areas, wash on a long 60 wash, then dry outside if you can? Or at least in front of an open window or door. Don't overfill the machine. I guess the smell comes from bacteria, so you could maybe try a cap of Dettol Antibac Laundry Cleanser? Also, make sure you clean your washing machine regularly to avoid a build up of stinky bacteria - I run an empty 90 wash with some Ariel. I don't have shares in Ariel!! But my Mum told me that's what I should do, and as I have come to realise, she was often right.
Mummy to C (May 2012)
LucyLastic

Postby Treeb » 01 Nov 2015, 02:31

I have the same problem with some of my clothes and haven't figured out a solution yet.

Thanks for the dish cloth tip Brigitte, mine have recently gotten quite smelly and I've thrown a few away but good to know there is a way to clean them!
Mama to big boy L born Sept. 2012, and baby girl A born June 2015.

http://treemama.wordpress.com/
Treeb

Postby mindy » 03 Nov 2015, 20:07

Some good ideas, thanks - I love the idea of microwaving my tops! Will try both Aries and a washing machine clean. Glad to know I'm not alone, Treeb!

With regard to the vinegar, I am finding that I need to put clothes through on 2 consecutive washes both with vinegar instead of fabric softener, then I can get through most of the day which is a huge improvement. Most clothes are fine, it's just these couple of tight tops I wear under things, so frustrating!
mindy

Return to Product Recommendations