Must-have (for beginners)

Best high chair? (We all know it's the Ikea one really but refusniks will bring us tales of Tripp-Trappery and booster seats). Have you discovered an excellent finger food snack, toothbrush, bib or more importantly A Lipstick That Really Does Stay On?

Must-have (for beginners)

Postby Akuma » 14 Oct 2015, 07:15

So it's time for shopping :D
I want to have the basics covered before the time comes, and I wonder what are the must-have items for BLW.
(Well, I assume you must have a baby and food, everything else is optional... but you get the point.)

We are getting an Ikea high chair, and we'll be using an old tablecloth under it.

What about a bib?
I have some PopIn items (nappies, swim nappies) and I like the quality, so I have thought of getting their coverall bib. Also heard good things about Bibetta ones.
I assume my baby may not like them at all but probably worth a try?

And... I can't think about anything else.
Any other item you consider really helpful? Enlighten me!!! :D
Mommy to A ~ May 2015
Akuma

Re: Must-have (for beginners)

Postby Kitcameron » 14 Oct 2015, 07:54

We have Ikea bibs as well as high chair. They might be sold as art aprons as that's where they were but they're just a long sleeved bib type thing.
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Postby Marrow » 14 Oct 2015, 08:02

We liked the bibetta long-sleeved bibs, but they are certainly a nice-to-have rather than a necessity. Same with Sunner Infant tiny diner table mat.

If I were doing it again, I might try to get a cheap washable shower curtain instead of the old tablecloth.
Mum to a Courgette (July 2012)
Marrow

Postby Akuma » 14 Oct 2015, 09:11

Thank you for the quick replies!!

I can't find any bibs/aprons in Ikea website, I guess they do not sell them in my country, but it's certainly a nice idea so I will check the local stores for some.

The tiny diner table mat looks great for eating out and travelling - which we'll do for xmas.
Something else for my wishlist :D

The tablecloth is supposed to be waterproof (but has lost some of his qualities) so I'll give it a try, but if it does not work I'll have the shower curtain idea in mind.
Mommy to A ~ May 2015
Akuma

Postby LucyLastic » 14 Oct 2015, 09:31

One of the best ideas I got from here way back when was to invest in a bulkload of flannels/washcloths. I bought about 30 from a supermarket value range and still use them at mealtimes to wipe hands and face. Haven't use a single wetwipe (I hate them anyway, slimy yucky things). When going out, I just stick a wrung out wet flannel in a sealable plastic food bag (like for sandwiches) so I can bring it home after use. We also bought an Ikea Pluggis box which we keep in the kitchen where we threw the dirty face cloths, bibs, shower curtains and any 'bib-fail' clothes and then bunged the whole lot in a 60 wash.
We also had about 6 cheap shower curtains to alternate as they got mucky pretty quickly and, in the summer particularly, you don't want it to fester growing all kinds of nasties.
Have fun shopping!
Mummy to C (May 2012)
LucyLastic

Postby LucyLastic » 14 Oct 2015, 09:32

Damn. K-roomed. Sorry :-(
Mummy to C (May 2012)
LucyLastic

Postby DandelionFrosting » 14 Oct 2015, 12:19

We really liked artist smocks rather than bibs, because Zilla always just stuffed her messy hands under the edges of her "coverall" (not) bibs. We got them in toddler size and pushed the sleeves up, and put a regular drool bib over top to plug up the big neck hole. Bonus: she can't get out of a smock the way she can a bib! I'd say to stock up on whatever you like to use to wipe your table with -- you're going to be wiping it a lot more now!
Saurus (April 2012) wants to open all the cupboards to see the pipes.
Zilla (December 2013) is unstoppable. And really likes pizza.
Turtle (November 2015) isn't cute yet, but he's working on it.
And Mia and Oreo are my emotional support cats.
DandelionFrosting

Postby sabrina fair » 14 Oct 2015, 18:44

Cheap flannels/face cloths from ikea (or where ever) are great for wiping hands, faces, hair, feet (oh yes, you will end up wiping feet!), high chair, and shower curtain under high chair then chucking in the washing machine. Extremely helpful.
Mum to monkeyboy (Spring 2011) and squidge (August 2013)
sabrina fair

Postby LucyLastic » 14 Oct 2015, 23:32

Flannels - that's what I said. Except I said the k word. Shame on me.
Mummy to C (May 2012)
LucyLastic

Postby Brigitte » 15 Oct 2015, 05:27

If you have a non-carpeted floor, I would skip the tablecloth underneath and just wipe the floor. I found it to be far less hassle.

For a beginner I would get a soft bib of some sort as others have mentioned, but as soon as your child becomes more adept I would get a silicone bib with a pocket. They are wipe-clean and so much easier than endless laundry.

My favourite lesser-known item is to buy a simple plastic pastry scraper/flour scraper and use it to scrape up all the lumpy bits from the table and floor. Then a quick wipe will take care of remaining stickiness. Things like lumpy sticky oatmeal bits just roll around under a wet cloth and are such a pain without the flour scraper.

Also, not entirely necessary but definitely fun: a crinkle cutter for those early days of roasted veg. The grooves make things easier to grasp.
I love my kiddos! Two April girls (2011 and 2013) and a May boy (2016). I guess we have spring babies in this family.
Brigitte

Postby Akuma » 15 Oct 2015, 12:21

So I found a toddler apron, an easy-to-clean one for little artists, in a local shop.
It fastens with velcro which is something I liked about it.

I have some flannels, but I guess it would be a good idea to stock on some more...

Yeah, our floor is non-carpeted. The kitchen tiles are actually very easy to clean.
The reason for the tablecloth was being able to give him back those pieces he drops.

The veggies cutter sounds like a cute idea!
Mommy to A ~ May 2015
Akuma

Postby yorkshirepudding » 15 Oct 2015, 13:42

I was just going to say you DONT need a crinkle cutter!

Practise wrenching the tray off your high chair too, it's just brute strength.
Mummy to my little Christmas pudding, Moo, December 2012 and a summer pudding, baby E born June 2015
yorkshirepudding

Postby busmother » 16 Oct 2015, 20:15

I had a heavy oil-cloth tablecloth on the floor so I could mop it clean after( a shower curtain is much harder as it crinkles up and doesn't lie flat). I used a window squeegee rather than a flour scraper, but it's the same idea, with a floorcloth over it to clean it up after each meal. I'd use a clean cloth to wipe down child, then tray, then floor , then into a bucket for the next wash.

You have made me realise how very unprepared I am. I am about to start next week with No 3 and I have none of these things except the high chair.
Mother to twin buses, born 2010, and number 3, born 2015
busmother

Postby Brigitte » 17 Oct 2015, 05:31

I love my kiddos! Two April girls (2011 and 2013) and a May boy (2016). I guess we have spring babies in this family.
Brigitte

Postby sabrina fair » 17 Oct 2015, 18:38

Mum to monkeyboy (Spring 2011) and squidge (August 2013)
sabrina fair

Next

Return to Product Recommendations