Talk to me about Baby Hammocks

Best high chair? (We all know it's the Ikea one really but refusniks will bring us tales of Tripp-Trappery and booster seats). Have you discovered an excellent finger food snack, toothbrush, bib or more importantly A Lipstick That Really Does Stay On?

Talk to me about Baby Hammocks

Postby MamaKh » 24 Jul 2015, 04:12

Inspired by Lily mentioning a baby hammock combined w late pregnancy insomnia I looked around and found Poco Baby Natures Nest Motion Bed at amazon.uk

Its a bit pricy at £160 but as Plutten has been a very fuzzy sleeper, still only settles w parent and only started STTN at 2y8m when stopping BF I'm looking for better alternatives. After going back to work those broken nights almost broke me! He still cosleeps for most part of the night and never accepted cot/crib. Looking back he started out early w reflux and still suffers from it from time to time.

So any one with experience with this or other hammocks? Are they worth the money? Would you bring them travelling by car/plane etc? How long time are they useful /safe? I couldn't find your Miyo available to buy here Lily. Looks very pretty!
Mother of DS1 July 2012, DS2 Sept 2015
BF, Co Sleeping, Sling, EC, BLW, Active parenting, all inspirations and aspirations
MamaKh

Re: Talk to me about Baby Hammocks

Postby Lily » 24 Jul 2015, 06:07

That looks quite similar to the Miyo, MamaKh. The main difference I can see (apart from it being less pretty) is that the carrying bag looks very big. When we travel, we just take the hammock part, not the frame; you can hang up the Miyo from any hook or in a door frame, so it's great for holidays or just for moving it around the house easily. Also the Poco looks a bit flatter and squarer, not sure if that's just an aesthetic difference or it really is less cradling, which might be a disadvantage.

Izbiz was a challenging sleeper. He slept pretty well in the Miyo, but grew too long for it at 3mo. The other difficulty was that he was very oral, and would only really settle by feeding to sleep; it's not very easy to transfer a sleeping baby into the hammock as it can be awkward getting them all the way in. But it's been fantastic for Bee, who is smaller and also easier to settle. She drops off in it very easily, and really likes it. At 3mo she regularly sleeps 7 hours or more at a stretch, and only wakes once or twice per night. I know some people use them for up to 9 months; tbh I can't see Bee staying in it past 6mo, but I do make long babies!

I think it would be great for reflux as it isn't flat - the head is slightly raised and the back is curved.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby MamaKh » 24 Jul 2015, 22:27

Thanks Lily, those are very helpful thoughts.

Izbiz and Plutten seems to have much in common when it comes to their sleeping habits. We are still cosleeping and P has very generously offered his crib to the baby, he is going to sleep in the big bed! Makes me wonder if I want to cosleep or not with the new baby. .. Will i use the hammock if we get one?
BF, Co Sleeping, Sling, EC, BLW, Active parenting, all inspirations and aspirations
MamaKh

Postby Lily » 25 Jul 2015, 06:47

You could always wait till the baby arrives and see how you feel? It's possible to cosleep with two. Though I don't fancy it myself - Izbiz has been sleeping through in his own cot/bed since I night weaned him at 14mo, and hopefully Bee will stay in her own bed now she's started off so well.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby MamaKh » 25 Jul 2015, 18:45

Yes, true. I guess my nesting genes are activated and im loking to shop anything and everything :) internet will still be there after the baby comes!
MamaKh

Postby yorkshirepudding » 25 Jul 2015, 21:14

This thread has got me looking at hammocks now. I realised I have no clue how to get a baby to sleep who doesn't feed to sleep, when I don't want to be rocking her for an hour in the middle of the night! Hoping it might help her day time sleep too as she wakes so often, with reflux. Will let you know if we get one and how we get on.
Mummy to my little Christmas pudding, Moo, December 2012 and a summer pudding, baby E born June 2015
yorkshirepudding

Postby MamaKh » 26 Jul 2015, 16:36

Pls keep me posted! I'm right after you, nursing to sleep or carrying in a sling, or now w a 3 yo, letting him pass out in front of the TV, or cuddling to sleep wich can take ages, especially since I'm usually the first to doze off, is all I know.
MamaKh

Postby MamaKh » 11 Aug 2015, 11:56

I started to shop around for used ones and found a Mawok baby hammock for €40 instead of buying it new for €250. Hopefully LO will like it when s/he arrives, but if not no harm done!
MamaKh

Postby yorkshirepudding » 11 Aug 2015, 12:03

I found one like Lily's on eBay but then borrowed an Amby one from a friend. The Miyo did look more cosy but E seems to like the hammock quite well- only had it 2 nights so hard to tell! She does wiggle to the bottom when she wakes up so might need to work out positioning a bit better. I managed to put her in only about 20 mins after a feed last night which is much better than the usual hour to make sure the reflux isn't making her uncomfortable, hopefully that wasn't a one off!
Mummy to my little Christmas pudding, Moo, December 2012 and a summer pudding, baby E born June 2015
yorkshirepudding

Postby Lily » 11 Aug 2015, 12:52

Good news yp! Hope it continues well. I've never found either of my two moved around in the hammock at all - the shape of the Miyo keeps them in one place - but I do know you're meant to put their head as near as possible to the back. That way their back is in the most comfortably supported curve shape.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby yorkshirepudding » 12 Aug 2015, 02:12

Oh thanks lily, I should have googled some instructions! Was going for feet to foot/ maximum angle for reflux but it's obviously too much. Maybe should have gone for the Miyo after all!
yorkshirepudding

Postby yorkshirepudding » 13 Aug 2015, 02:06

Hmmm, how silly of me to assume oh would read some instructions before assembling it! It's looking much better now!
yorkshirepudding

Postby Lily » 13 Aug 2015, 06:43

Lol! Excellent yp! Incidentally I think feet to foot is a safety thing if you're using blankets; with a sleeping bag they can't wriggle under the covers anyway, so it doesn't make any difference how they're positioned.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby MamaKh » 20 Oct 2015, 12:21

So, an update here. LO is 3,5 weeks, and we got the Mawok hammock second hand for about 1/5 of the original price (this model is not made anymore, and the company changed name to ReiRei). Seems quite similar to the Miyo hammock. SO far we only use it for daytime sleeping as we actually don't have a good wall space freed up in our bedroom to naturally put it there. If we did I think I would use it. He sleeps very well in it, much better than the baby sitter. I still have to rock him to sleep for some 10-15 min, but then he can sleep for 2-3 hours! A little scary with Big Brother though, who wants to "help" with rocking at the pace of a 3 yr old...

Next week we are going away to our cottage and I'm really excited to bring it and there use it all night as well. So yes, at this point I recommend it to others with infants!
MamaKh

Return to Product Recommendations