Sleepyhead pod? Or something else?

Best high chair? (We all know it's the Ikea one really but refusniks will bring us tales of Tripp-Trappery and booster seats). Have you discovered an excellent finger food snack, toothbrush, bib or more importantly A Lipstick That Really Does Stay On?

Sleepyhead pod? Or something else?

Postby Lily » 21 Jul 2015, 18:45

Bee sleeps in a hammock. She loves it and so do I! She settles herself happily at bedtime and is generally a pretty decent sleeper at night. (Not STTN or anything, let's not get ahead of ourselves.)

But she is 3 months old and quite long, so fairly soon we will have to move her into the cot. I'm hoping to find something that makes the transition easier, as I really don't want to get into the trap of doing lots more parenting to sleep - I did that with Izbiz and I think it caused a lot of his awful sleep issues. So how do I make the cot cosy and snuggly? Obviously I can't replicate the movement of a hammock but I think making it less of a big flat open space will help.

Also, if I go for a Sleepyhead Grand, will it be massively too big? I don't want to waste money on something that will only fit for a short while, but equally it seems pointless buying a snugglifier which she can't snuggle into properly.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Re: Sleepyhead pod? Or something else?

Postby nearlymumtobabyfk » 21 Jul 2015, 21:14

No answer I'm afraid but watching with interest as Roo has pretty much outgrown his bed nest and i'm wondering much the same...
Mum to A, 2010, and R, 2015
nearlymumtobabyfk

Postby mindy » 21 Jul 2015, 22:31

No answer either, but am fascinated by the hammock- what sort and how does it work?

I know several people who have put a Moses basket inside the cot for a few weeks to aid transition.

Good luck - and am hugely impressed at the self soothing at 3m!!
Two adorable, headstrong daughters: Roo born Sept 2008, Min born April 2011, and small boy who arrived Summer 2015
mindy

Postby Ali70 » 22 Jul 2015, 10:13

We put the carrycot inside the cot for a week or so which worked fine for us.

I had a friend who rolled up a bath towel and placed it in a U shape under the cot sheet, then put the baby's head inside the U so that if he moved, he felt the towel with his arms rather than just empty bed. That worked for them.
Sproglet born April 2013
Ali70

Postby RedRum » 22 Jul 2015, 12:14

I really love our sleepyhead pod but at 9 weeks the boy (who is also long) is nearly too big for it so I would definitely go for the bigger size.
Mama to R (2007) and J (2015)
RedRum

Postby Lily » 22 Jul 2015, 16:52

Oh, great to know that about Sleepyhead sizing, thanks RR. A rolled up towel sounds like a very good alternative - maybe I'll try that first before I splash £150 I haven't got on a big pod.

The hammock is a Miyo. On phone and can't find a good link but it's basically like the bundle that the stork carries when it brings a baby - that's to say, both ends are gathered together at the top, and the baby lies across it, not along the length of it like an adult hammock. There's a little mattress inside but it's very enclosed, and it bounces and rocks gently when the baby stirs, which is how she can self-settle. It's brilliant, I only wish they made bigger ones!
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby RedRum » 22 Jul 2015, 19:08

I was looking at something like for our bed for when he starts rolling as we cosleep and have a v deep mattress so normal bed rails won't work but might work well for you too (one on either side I mean)?
RedRum

Postby Lily » 23 Jul 2015, 07:42

We have one of those for Izbiz - got it for cosleeping first, and he still uses it as a bed rail. It's perfect for what it is, but I think something with a curve around the head will be better for Bee now as she likes to snuggle her head up into the hammock. You should definitely get one of the foam things though RR, they're brilliant for bed sharing and you can still sit on the edge of the bed, which is really handy!
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby cloudcuckoo » 24 Jul 2015, 21:20

We never had the sleepyhead pod, but bought the Sleepyhead Grand when L was 8 months. He's a terrible sleeper, will only sleep on me, impossible to get into a cot. Despite product reviews which make it sound like a completely infallible work of wonder, we mostly feel like we wasted our money, maybe even a bit duped. We still can't get him into a cot, awake or asleep. I don't think it has often given him enough comfort to stop him from fully waking from light sleep, Haigh is what I hoped for. It's value to us now, 10 months in, is as a travel mattress which goes on the floor when we are away or camping, and as a second mattress inside a travel cot in our bedroom (a vain attempt to get him to not co-sleep,which I don't much enjoy, and which has caused DH to move into the spare bed). It's a cause for embarrassment generally rather than celebration.
Two girls, Bug (2010) and Bobs (2007) in the cloud-nest, and a boy, Boo, too (February 2014)
cloudcuckoo

Postby Lily » 25 Jul 2015, 18:29

Thanks cloudcuckoo, that's a really good corrective to the endless rave reviews. I guess our situation is a bit different in that we're not looking for a solution to bad sleep, but this definitely makes me think twice.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby nearlymumtobabyfk » 25 Jul 2015, 20:21

Cc - just as a point of interest. Is the 'grand' too big to bring into your bed? I ask because currently in the nest R does the first half of the night in the sidecar cot, but tgen I drag him into our bed in it. I'm wondering if the 'grand' could work the same way. If not, I'm tempted just to buy a toddle pod, as they're a third of the price...
Mum to A, 2010, and R, 2015
nearlymumtobabyfk

Postby RedRum » 25 Jul 2015, 20:33

I agree it's not the magic bullet people make it out to be. I still like it though.
RedRum

Postby Lily » 10 Oct 2015, 19:14

Thought I'd come back and update this. I procrastinated as long as possible, but eventually her feet were actually overhanging the end of the hammock so she has now been in the cot for four or five nights. We went with the rolled-up towel under the fitted sheet and it has worked a treat - she's able to snuggle into it and self-settle with no trouble. Thanks for the tip Ali70! She's not sleeping brilliantly atm, thanks to a killer combo of growth spurt and nasty congestion, but definitely doing equally well in the cot as she was in the hammock.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby yorkshirepudding » 10 Oct 2015, 20:18

Thanks for the update lily, might help me in a few months (E isn't at all long!). Sheis in a hammock but still goes to sleep on me, and only me. She has occasionally settled herself happily in there but any tips on how you got Bee to do that would be appreciated! And she varies a lot between sleeping really well and then not being able to get a burp out after a feed, and she won't lie down, and ends up on her front on me. Not that I'm expecting you to solve all that!
Mummy to my little Christmas pudding, Moo, December 2012 and a summer pudding, baby E born June 2015
yorkshirepudding

Postby Lily » 10 Oct 2015, 20:51

Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Next

Return to Product Recommendations