bike seat?

Best high chair? (We all know it's the Ikea one really but refusniks will bring us tales of Tripp-Trappery and booster seats). Have you discovered an excellent finger food snack, toothbrush, bib or more importantly A Lipstick That Really Does Stay On?

bike seat?

Postby Sandytoes » 02 Apr 2012, 20:39

I took my bike out today for the first time in 18 months - it has been collecting cobwebs in my parents' shed. It felt fantastic to be riding it again - I'm kicking myself for not having tried it sooner, as we're only in the UK for 3 more days. BUT we'll be back in the summer and I want to get a seat for T so we can go out and about on it and be a bit more independent from my mum having to drive us places.

We have a Hamax rear seat in the loft but it doesn't fit on my bike because the gear cables are attached to the frame in the wrong place. I think I'd prefer to have her on the front anyway, as I always found the Hamax affected my balance quite a bit when I used it with my goddaughter.

Can anyone recommend a front-mounting seat?

I've looked at a couple and they seem to say up to 15kg only. T is about 12.5kg now, I think. I've no idea how fast she's going to grow, but is it silly to get a seat like that now, when I could get a rear seat that would take her up to 18kg?
mummy to T, born 21st August 2009

http://sandytoesanddustyfeet.wordpress.com/
Sandytoes

Re: bike seat?

Postby gingerbreadhouse » 02 Apr 2012, 20:43

I don't know much about front seats, but the Wee Ride are thought highly of.

I have a Hamax seat for my bike. If you decide to stick with a rear mounted seat, you can get different brackets so you should be able to find one that fits your bike and the seat you already have. Your local bike shop should be able to advise.
Mum to two gorgeous girls and one bouncing baby boy.
gingerbreadhouse

Postby Singale » 02 Apr 2012, 21:06

To be honest, I think a frontseat will make you wobblier rather than helping.
But if you still think you might prefer a front-mounted seat, would it be an idea to go to a bike shop & do trial runs?

In terms of brands: When we were living in the netherlands most people use bobike (3 points harness, foam seat with cute fabric patterns, established brand) & seemed happy with it; but we decided to get a -then - newer brand called yepp & we're absolutely happy with it. It's got 5 points harness & made out of a croc-like material, so easier to clean & dry!
Tigerle's mum since Sept 2010
And now Pferdle's as well since July 2014
Singale

Postby Svea » 02 Apr 2012, 21:22

I think a front mounted seat is actually much less wobbly that having a rear mounted, as the balance is great. We have a bobike which we love love love!!!
Mama to M since 02/10/07, P since 08/03/10 and O 07/06/13
Svea

Postby madcatmummy » 02 Apr 2012, 21:37

WeeRide Kangaroo all the way!! It's a front mounted seat and will fit ANY bike (except a dropped handlebar racer type bike). We got one because it was cheaper to buy this than a new bike to fit a rear mounted seat to as we both have full suspension mountain bikes!!

It is rated up to 18kg and rekons the age range is 1-5. I took my nephew on it over Christmas at nearly 3 and we were very comfy.

The front mounted seat is meant to be less wobbly than the rear as the child is not throwing their weight around trying to look where they're going. You can easily have a conversation whilst riding along so they look a lot less bored than some kids you see in rear seats. There is meant to be a safety bonus that in the unfortunate event of an accident you have your arms around your child and are able to offer some protection which would be impossible in a rear mounted seat.

The WeeRide has a 5 point safety harness and is fully adjustable. It even has a padded 'dashboard' to put a sleepy head onto!

I can't wait to get JT out on it later this year! They're :bsmile :D

Check out their website http://www.weerideuk.co.uk/Weeride_Kangaroo.asp
mum to AD (03/09) and JT (08/11) and 2 mad cats!
madcatmummy

Postby vicxxx76 » 05 Apr 2012, 13:15

I'm also looking into bike seats, but wondered if a baby wrap is perhaps better/safer?
Vic, mama to mini Mia born 27/09/11. BF, CB, BW, EC, signing and now BLW!
vicxxx76

Postby gingerbreadhouse » 05 Apr 2012, 14:28

vicxxx76 wrote:I'm also looking into bike seats, but wondered if a baby wrap is perhaps better/safer?

Just my opinion, but I would never cycle with my baby wrapped/in a carrier like that. There would be no protection for the little one at all. It could also alter your centre of gravity which could affect bike handling.
gingerbreadhouse

Postby madcatmummy » 05 Apr 2012, 16:28

fullhouse wrote:
vicxxx76 wrote:I'm also looking into bike seats, but wondered if a baby wrap is perhaps better/safer?

Just my opinion, but I would never cycle with my baby wrapped/in a carrier like that. There would be no protection for the little one at all. It could also alter your centre of gravity which could affect bike handling.

^^THIS

Couldn't agree more, the safest place for your LO is in a seat and not attached to you.
madcatmummy

Postby ToothFairy » 05 Apr 2012, 18:22

fullhouse wrote:

I would say the same. Far safer in a seat specifically designed for the purpose than wrapped onto you. Also, please make sure you and baby are wearing helmets.
Mummy to M - September 1998, D - October 2007, and E - May 2010. All BF, cloth nappies, and carried in the same sling, not sure BLW existed in the 90s though!
ToothFairy

Postby gingerbreadhouse » 05 Apr 2012, 19:12

ToothFairy wrote:Also, please make sure you and baby are wearing helmets.

And this too. I managed to resist the urge to get on that soapbox earlier!
gingerbreadhouse

Postby ToothFairy » 05 Apr 2012, 19:15

fullhouse wrote:
ToothFairy wrote:Also, please make sure you and baby are wearing helmets.

And this too. I managed to resist the urge to get on that soapbox earlier!

I fractured my skull falling off a bike with no helmet. I have good reason to be on my soapbox!
Mummy to M - September 1998, D - October 2007, and E - May 2010. All BF, cloth nappies, and carried in the same sling, not sure BLW existed in the 90s though!
ToothFairy

Postby gingerbreadhouse » 05 Apr 2012, 19:28

I was in hospital for five days with suspected brain damage following a fall from my bike with no helmet. I hit my head on a kerb and was unconscious for 24 hours.

DH, on the other hand, collided with a tree (mountain biking!) whilst wearing a helmet - his helmet was destroyed but he had no head injuries. He did have whiplash though, but nothing could have stopped that. Well, maybe a bit more talent and a bit less enthusiasm. But you know what I mean.
gingerbreadhouse

Postby gingerbreadhouse » 05 Apr 2012, 19:28

Sorry, gone massively off topic! Bike seats are great :D
gingerbreadhouse

Postby madcatmummy » 05 Apr 2012, 19:49

To continue the off topic helmet rant, 3 of my friends have wrecked helmets and escaped lightly. 2 had concussion but nothing more severe. My DD has fallen a few times from her balance bike and once from her new bike and has been saved any facial injury by her helmet - ie, not even a scratch or graze to the face, but still spitting out stones from the gravel path she landed on!

*quietly steps back off soap box and hides at the back of the gathering crowd.
madcatmummy

Postby vicxxx76 » 06 Apr 2012, 09:47

*Bows head in shame at preposterous idea :oops: I did, however, imagine it with helmets! *Side steps to the door :?
Vic, mama to mini Mia born 27/09/11. BF, CB, BW, EC, signing and now BLW!
vicxxx76

Next

Return to Product Recommendations