Which SSC would you choose?

Best high chair? (We all know it's the Ikea one really but refusniks will bring us tales of Tripp-Trappery and booster seats). Have you discovered an excellent finger food snack, toothbrush, bib or more importantly A Lipstick That Really Does Stay On?

Which SSC would you choose?

Postby MummyJ » 18 Feb 2012, 08:45

I have already had a few recommendations from friends but I am finding it so hard to choose!

Jacob is 4 months old and weighs just over 15lb. He's very long and in 6-9 month clothes already so I'm expecting that he's going to continue to be taller than average so I don't know if this will help narrow down which SSC would be best for us for the longest time?

So far the short list is:

Rose & Rebellion
Babyhawk Oh Snap
Connecta
Beco Butterfly or Gemini

Any more that I should be considering? Any opinions of the ones above? I really want a printed one and if anyone knows where you can get custom ones made then I'd appreciate the info as this may be something I would consider too so that I can pick the fabric.

x
MummyJ

Re: Which SSC would you choose?

Postby Noir » 18 Feb 2012, 09:02

I could always make you a custom one if you wanted...I've got one to be getting on with at the moment but then I'm free. I must add the pictures of ones I've done to the flikr group, when I figure out technology.
Otherwise, I had a connecta when A was little and did get on well with it, though it's one without a sleep-hood, and I would recommend getting a sleep hood as then it'll last longer. I'm pretty sure all connectas come with them now. I do get the impression that they come out of the top seam, or at least used to, which is why I didn't get one in the first place as I didn't like the idea of that, but someone may come along to correct me. I then had a rose and rebellion which is even better, at least for us. The slight padding on the waist and different way of putting it on I liked. I've not got experience with the other two, but I know a friend of mine had a toddlerhawk oh snap and was really impressed with that, and had pretty much used a wrap up to that point, so guessing they're comfy.
Noir

Postby Twinkly » 18 Feb 2012, 09:56

I've got a regular BabyHawk (not Oh Snap) that I got from Pics on here. I love it!!
It took me a while to find the best position to tie it, ie. at what level to tie waist and how tight the shoulders needed to be, but now I've got that figured it's so comfortable! All the weight goes into your hips so you don't feel it on your shoulders or upper back. Best investment ever!
Mum to Tinky b. 29 June 2011 & Tiny b. 10 Jan 2013
Twinkly

Postby FlossiesMum » 18 Feb 2012, 10:30

The Babyhawk Oh Snap is quite a big carrier - I had someone come to the sling library the other day with a 9 month old who is c90th centile and she said when she'd tried him in an Oh Snap at 6-7 months it was too big (was a good fit at 9 months).

The Beco Butterfly and Gemini aren't very wide (so not as good for lasting with longer legs) and the R&R isn't all that wide or tall either. If you hadn't requested a print, I'd have said Ergo or Manduca, but they don't come in many interesting prints, although they do do some limited editions.

A custom made bamberoo would be made to exactly the dimensions you want - if he's in 6-9 month clothes I suspect the standard size would just about fit him now (it's quite big) and last for a good while www.bamberoo.hu You can choose from a range of fabrics in stock or send your own. They are made in Hungary though so a bit more of a wait. Or they come up 2nd hand on Natural Mamas and The Babywearer. Most of the UK-based custom makers do wrap conversions more than pure SSCs, but if that is an option for you there are several of those. Ooh just seen that Nori could make you one though.
Greenwich & Lewisham Sling Library - 1st and 3rd Wednesday of each month. http://www.facebook.com/greenwichlewishamslings
FlossiesMum

Postby FlossiesMum » 18 Feb 2012, 10:31

Adding that if you happen to be anywhere near SE London I have an Oh Snap, Bamberoo, Connecta and Beco Butterfly in the Sling Library if you want to try before you buy
Greenwich & Lewisham Sling Library - 1st and 3rd Wednesday of each month. http://www.facebook.com/greenwichlewishamslings
FlossiesMum

Postby CherryPop » 18 Feb 2012, 10:38

I have the Babyhawk Oh Snap for my Jacob :D

I was thinking of selling it if you're interested, let me know.

I can't remember how old he was when we got it, but he's always been a big boy, and I bought it as a more 'toddler-appropriate' (though not actually toddler sized) carrier. I can point you in the direction of some photos of it if you're interested x
Mama to J born 10.3.09 and BabyPie born 21.11.12
Blogging: http://mynameis-beth.blogspot.com
CherryPop

Postby Morlyte » 18 Feb 2012, 11:45

Now that I have one, I would without a doubt say get a Wompat. They are comfy, snug and gorgeous!!

Eta: we have a Gemini which is fab but if you have a long child, I think they come up a bit short. However they are very comfy to carry in and easy to get on.
Morlyte

Postby ches » 18 Feb 2012, 13:28

I have a Patapum, which works brilliantly with my little oaf and worked with J up to 2.5 yrs, so it's hard for me to justify another SSC. The Patapum was a gift from B&M, who didn't use it anymore as she preferred her Sleepy Nico - since moving out of her tiny SW1 flat and into her lovely house she has added to her stash a lot, so not sure that's still her favourite, so not necessarily a recommendation IYSWIM. Anyway, if I were to buy another SSC I would go for a Noir-made dino SSC, especially as my kids are ENORMOUS and weren't done being carried when the carrier got too small.
BLPT Guidelines thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4477&p=48324
ches

Postby Antje » 18 Feb 2012, 15:39

I don't know if you want to put the Ergo on the list?

When I was buying a SSC, my decision was basically down to the Ergo and the Beco Butterfly. While the Ergo does come with a pocket and you can also buy all kinds of extra accessories for it, I ended up choosing the Beco simply because it looked prettier. My Beco has a fun pattern, and it's much trimmer, whereas the Ergo often looks like it's been inspired by a pair of cargo pants. We moms have enough opportunity to look like packhorses, so I took the opportunity to look more stylish. I won't lie, I do often wish the Beco had pockets!

Oh, the other thing that's great about the Beco is the inner panel that goes between you and the baby. It makes it so much easier to manage back carries! Then again, the Ergo allows for skin-to-skin. However, Skin-to-skin is mostly a newborn thing, and you need a bulky infant insert at that stage. Besides, I like my Moby for the newborn phase.
Antje

Postby AB&M » 18 Feb 2012, 17:09

I'm waiting for my sn back from Robyn but it's not suitable for kitten yet as I don't think her neck is striking enough. I'm using a cwtshi & getting a mei tei made for me like DIM :D

Also have an onbu from pics to try. :oops: plus a woven wrap :oops:
Spammer executioner & heads together basher

Claire

Bruno 6
Annie aka kitten 1
AB&M

Postby Morlyte » 18 Feb 2012, 18:34

Ahh man I may have to see Dim too, I mean you can need have too many carriers right? ;)
Morlyte

Postby ches » 18 Feb 2012, 19:28

Well, you can see DIM as much as you like about carriers and be safe. ;) Don't ask Noir, though. ;) ;) ;)
BLPT Guidelines thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4477&p=48324
ches

Postby Morlyte » 18 Feb 2012, 22:19

ches wrote:Well, you can see DIM as much as you like about carriers and be safe. ;) Don't ask Noir, though. ;) ;) ;)

Bah, thats who I meant! Not sure why I actually wrote Dim, my only excuse was that I was cajoling a lively toddler in bed at the time. :oops: Im a man when it comes to multi-tasking.
Morlyte

Postby MummyJ » 18 Feb 2012, 22:43

Thank you so much everyone for the replies :) you are all such a welcoming bunch!

Nori - I'd love to see pics of the ones you've done. Do people just send material to you and what kind is suitable? I don't have a wrap that could be used. I'm quite new to babywearing so what I might do is get myself a standard carrier and if we get on well with it then I can always talk DH into getting me a custom one for my birthday!! The thought of picking fabric really does have me dancing with delight.

Flossiesmum - thanks for the offer but I'm unfortunately very far away! I'm in Central Scotland and I believe the nearest slingmeets are Glasgow and Edinburgh which are approx an hour away from me. I have had friends offer to let me try out their Becos and Ergos which is helpful.

Cherrypie - which design is it you have? I'm still figuring out what to get but if I do go with Oh Snap then I wouldn't mind buying a used one :)

Thanks for all the suggestions! You've all given me a lot to think about and I appreciate the advice.

Oh and another question - are mei tais very simple to use? I do like the Babyhawk ones with the minky (just love that fabric) on one side but I was thinking SSC would be simpler to put on and I do need simple lol.

xx
MummyJ

Postby Noir » 18 Feb 2012, 23:02

I shall sort out putting some photo's up soon. The first one I did was made from denim, with a cotton panel, the second out of cord (though that I reinforced as I didn't think that it was sturdy enough), then I've done the latest out of black sturdy cotton (which imo os the best material), with cotton panel. It doesn't matter how thin the panels are as they're just decorative, so long as they're not jersey. I prefer the buy the main body material from my local fabric shop as then I can feel the weight of it and make sure it's perfect (the cord one was for a friend that insisted on orange and turquoise cord, but bought stuff online that wasn't strong enough on it's own for me to be happy with it, and it did have a flaw in it, that luckily I could cut the pattern out around it.).
I prefer SSC's to mei tai's, mainly because I always seemed to dunk the straps of my mei tai in puddles or dirt. There are ways of not, but they are a little more irritating for that reason. They're really simple to tie though, and very comfy.
Noir

Next

Return to Product Recommendations