Accidentally Vegan

For the label-readers amongst us, a place to marvel at food manufacturers' ability to add milk powder to everything.

Accidentally Vegan

Postby Zandra » 07 Apr 2016, 12:21

I am vegetarian and am raising baba the same. However, she's very sensitive to dairy (caused reflux and no sleep). I have stopped eating dairy while breastfeeding but am a bit confused about weaning foods. I've read she can't have soya milk...but is it ok to cook with? Can she have almond milk? I am struggling for dairy and meat free recipes...particularly for breakfast.
Her dad and grandmother are both sensitive to dairy but can eat it so I am optimistic this is something she will grow out of in next few years but want to ensure she is getting good nutrition in the mean time.
Any vegan mums out there?
Zandra

Re: Accidentally Vegan

Postby Lily » 07 Apr 2016, 12:54

Not vegan I'm afraid, but you can use ebm for things like breakfast cereal and porridge. Bread is generally dairy free, so toast fingers with spreads such as nut butters or fruit purees are good. And what about eggs? If she's not sensitive to those, you could make dairy-free pancakes using banana; they freeze well, too, so you can just pop them in the toaster when you need them.

Nut milks are fine as long as she doesn't have a suspected nut allergy, but do check the ingredients to ensure you avoid excess salt and sugar. And be aware that she will get much less fat and protein from a nut milk, so you'll need to try to fit those in elsewhere in her diet as she starts to eat more and cut down on BFing.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby Kanga » 07 Apr 2016, 15:46

You could use oat milk if you want to avoid nut based milks. Oat milk makes tasty porridge and I'm sure you could use it in pancake batter.

There's a thread on here with breakfast recipes - biscuits, muffins etc that I'm sure you could adapt to be dairy free. I make dairy & sugar free banana muffins for my los and they'd be good for breakfast. Have also discovered some brands of crumpets are dairy free so that's another option, although possibly need to be wary of the salt.
Last edited by Kanga on 07 Apr 2016, 20:29, edited 1 time in total.
Mummy to 2 gorgeous munchkins who are trying to eat us out of house & home! Dd A born July 08 and ds J born June 12. V3 due October 2014.

Also selling handmade gifts etc at http://www.alittleroar.com
Kanga

Postby yorkshirepudding » 07 Apr 2016, 17:48

Eggs - scrambled, omelettes
Banana/ oat/ egg pancakes- recipe on here somewhere or just google it.
And remember your baby doesn't know what normal breakfast food is so leftovers from dinner are fine!

You can use plant milks just not as their main food but as you're bf that's not a problem. Interested why kanga says avoid nut milks, is it the salt level?

When she is taking less breast milk, tahini (sesame seeds) are good for calcium, as is green veg, and I think beans- at least good for protein. My friends lo's are dairy/ egg/ nut free and I know they use a lot of processed soya alternatives like milk, cheese, yogurts and desserts but they are not v baby friendly with lots of sugar in.
Mummy to my little Christmas pudding, Moo, December 2012 and a summer pudding, baby E born June 2015
yorkshirepudding

Postby Kanga » 07 Apr 2016, 20:22

I only said avoid nuts if she wanted to, risk of allergies etc. Fwiw, my dh is dairy free & almond milk is the best hes found.
Mummy to 2 gorgeous munchkins who are trying to eat us out of house & home! Dd A born July 08 and ds J born June 12. V3 due October 2014.

Also selling handmade gifts etc at http://www.alittleroar.com
Kanga

Postby yorkshirepudding » 07 Apr 2016, 20:28

Thanks kanga! I thought I remembered you had insider knowledge.
Mummy to my little Christmas pudding, Moo, December 2012 and a summer pudding, baby E born June 2015
yorkshirepudding

Postby Zandra » 07 Apr 2016, 22:36

Zandra

Return to Allergies