Trying allergenic foods...

For the label-readers amongst us, a place to marvel at food manufacturers' ability to add milk powder to everything.

Trying allergenic foods...

Postby Sproutopian » 20 Mar 2016, 06:34

Hi All,

I hope I'm not rehashing here, but just want some advice from you all. Early on I. Our breastfeeding career, my son reacted negatively when I ate eggs and dairy. So I cut me out for 5 months, and have added them back in for the last 2. The eggs he seems fine with, but the dairy he has smelly farts and poos. I myself am dairy intolerant (both cassien and lactose), so that's not so surprising. I am also intolerant to nightshade and am coeliac. Also anafalactic to mangos. So as you can see, there is a high allergen start with me. DH not allergic to anything, lucky bugger lol..

So my question is this - should I try mini sprout with eggs and eggy products, like muffins etc? Is it likely he will react to eggs, and what is the risk of him being anafalactic? I'm really getting bored with not being able to make him pancakes, muffins, scrambled eggs etc, but obviously don't want to risk him.

Also, he's not really eating anything, as in chewing and swallowing, so would just gumming it cause a negative reaction anyway? Or would we have to try again when he is actually eating?

Hope this all makes sense! We are back to see the health nurse in 6 weeks so can ask then, just wondering if anyone had similar experiences and practical advice :)

Tia!!
New to this whole motherhood malarkey! 7 mo Mini Sprout who's taken the first steps towards BLW!
Sproutopian

Re: Trying allergenic foods...

Postby Treeb » 20 Mar 2016, 10:40

Usually it is the egg white that causes the allergy, so he may be fine with just the yolks used in things. They are also more allergic the "less-cooked" they are, so scrambled eggs, omelette, etc. often causes a reaction but eggs in baked good are more likely to be fine. The allergist told us that it is GOOD for our egg-white allergic daughter to have eggs in bake good because it gives her body a chance to start to recognize eggs and learn how to process them.

Yes, they can still react even when they're not swallowing much. My son got an instant rash all over his face after eating scrambled eggs.

In your situation I would be seeking to see an allergist and probably have skin prick testing done. My daughter is only mildly allergic to egg whites but because she had a positive skin prick test she has an epi-pen just in case anything more serious comes up. My son outgrew his egg allergy by a year, and I'm hoping the same will be true for her. So far she seems fine with eggs in bake good and pancakes but we'll have her retested before trying scrambled eggs, etc.
Mama to big boy L born Sept. 2012, and baby girl A born June 2015.

http://treemama.wordpress.com/
Treeb

Postby Sproutopian » 20 Mar 2016, 10:47

Thank you Treeb! I might take the safe route and wait to see if I can get in with an allergist. I'm in a rural area so hopefully there is one about. Rather be safe than sorry :) Kids giving me grey hairs as it is, don't need any more stress lol!!
New to this whole motherhood malarkey! 7 mo Mini Sprout who's taken the first steps towards BLW!
Sproutopian

Postby junglewonderland » 20 Mar 2016, 12:57

If it is a long wait for an allergist I would give mini sprout some egg. The latest research says that early repeated exposure gives the best chance of avoiding allergies. Some people go to the local hospital, then give their kid the suspected allergenic food in the car. Any reactions and help is at hand! But also remember kids often react on their second exposure. The other thing you can do is rub a bit of egg on his wrist, if no reaction rub some on his lip, if no reaction, eat some. That's what Jungleman learned in the army about finding out if things are poisonous! And we did that with Koala before we got to an allergist.
Mama to Feb boys, Koala (2012) and Taz (2015).
junglewonderland

Postby Sproutopian » 20 Mar 2016, 19:48

Thanks Jungle! I actually had considered going to the next town over and trying it, as they have a hospital there! It's just such a minefield trying to do the best thing. I had heard about early exposure, which is why I have been eating things I normally wouldn't so he gets some exposure through my breastmilk. I'm hoping he will take after his dad and have no allergies, but I'm not holding my breath, and certainly not working on that assumption. I'll keep thinking on it, and try and find an allergist where I am :)
Sproutopian

Return to Allergies