Allergy testing in 6 month old??

For the label-readers amongst us, a place to marvel at food manufacturers' ability to add milk powder to everything.

Allergy testing in 6 month old??

Postby Treeb » 15 Dec 2015, 03:33

If you're on the facebook group you may have seen my recent post about A having a skin reaction to some sesame tahini and also to possible peanut-butter tainted kisses from her brother. She also has had issues with reflux/silent reflux since tiny and I've been avoiding dairy since early November with inconclusive results. She had a pediatrician appointment last Tuesday at which her doctor basically admitted to having no knowledge of allergies, and referred us to an allergist.

Her appointment is coming up this friday and the allergist's office called me today with an automated message giving more info about the appointment. Skin prick testing had already been mentioned to us and the fact that she will have to stay still for 15 minutes afterwards, but the message today also mentioned that the appointment is expected to be 2 1/2 -3 hours long! I am now panicking at the thought of a horribly overtired infant who obviously will want no part of sitting in a small office, getting her skin poked, etc.

Obviously they'll have to take some kind of medical history and such, and there will be the actual testing and some discussion of how to proceed with both her diet and mine, but really? 3 hours?

Has anyone gone through skin prick testing with a small baby (she's 6 months + 1 week) and have any advice or just an idea of what we can expect? Thanks!
Mama to big boy L born Sept. 2012, and baby girl A born June 2015.

http://treemama.wordpress.com/
Treeb

Re: Allergy testing in 6 month old??

Postby Lily » 15 Dec 2015, 09:09

We haven't been through this but I just wanted to offer some sympathy and to say that surely she won't need to be awake for the whole time? Can you take a sling or stroller with you so she can nap while you're talking to the allergist? In fact, if he can do the skin prick while she's asleep then that might be the best way to get her to stay still, no? Bee slept through repeated heel prick tests, squeezing out blood droplets etc.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby junglewonderland » 15 Dec 2015, 12:14

Hi Treeb, junglebaby had allergy testing at the same age. I think the long appointment time is a sign of a good, thorough allergist. Mine was an hour long and rushed (that hour involved waiting for the skin prick testing results etc). My first allergy appt with Koala took longer as the allergist gave us lots of advice and education. I second Lily's idea of taking a sling/stroller. And my kids have both coped with the tests better than I would have imagined. I hope it all goes well, and having some answers is a relief.
Mama to Feb boys, Koala (2012) and Taz (2015).
junglewonderland

Postby Treeb » 15 Dec 2015, 12:18

Thanks Lily. Having her sleep while we're there would be ideal, but unfortunately she's really tricky to get to sleep and hasn't slept in public places for a few months! She likes to nurse to sleep but because of the reflux it can take an hour (or more!) to settle her because she'll nurse, then wake up needing a big burp, want to nurse again to re-settle, need another burp, etc. She's also easily distracted and has trouble getting to sleep if I'm talking to someone or if interesting things are going on. She dislikes sleeping in the stroller and hasn't done it in a couple of months and also wasn't a fan of the sling, so I haven't used that with her in quite a while and she's most likely just to get angry about being put into it. :?

X-posted with jw. Thanks for sharing your experience. Hopefully you're right and it's not as bad as I'm picturing. And yes, having some more concrete answers is the light at the end of the tunnel and will hopefully make the stress of the appointment worth it!

Treeb

Postby Treeb » 18 Dec 2015, 12:19

Her appointment is later today - wish us luck!

Treeb

Postby Lily » 18 Dec 2015, 14:29

Thinking of you Treeb - hope it's not too awful today, and more importantly hope it's worth it in the long run.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby Treeb » 19 Dec 2015, 14:30

Thanks Lily, it actually went really well. Was able to nurse A about halfway through, just before they did the skin prick tests. She also fell asleep in my arms (very calmly and quietly) after the test while we were waiting for the Dr. to come back in to discuss with us.

No dairy or peanut allergy was shown, and the allergist suggested we could start introducing both by giving just a tiny taste and watching for any reaction. It she seems to handle it fine we're to give a bit more each day and see how she does.

The test also did not show a sesame allergy but because of the rash she had when eating it they advised not to give her sesame for 6 months.

The tests did bring up a bit of a surprise, which is an egg white allergy. (Not too surprising though since L also had an egg allergy when he was tiny.) It was a pretty mild reaction but she's been prescribed an epi-pen since apparently this is the policy for any positive skin test. She can eat eggs in baked goods but not as scrambled eggs and such.

We'll have another appointment in 6 months.

Treeb

Postby junglewonderland » 20 Dec 2015, 06:22

Glad it went ok, and you have some advice on how to proceed. I hope she outgrows it!
Mama to Feb boys, Koala (2012) and Taz (2015).
junglewonderland

Return to Allergies