Could he have an intolerance?

For the label-readers amongst us, a place to marvel at food manufacturers' ability to add milk powder to everything.

Could he have an intolerance?

Postby Kanga » 16 May 2015, 02:45

Ds2 is really gassy at the mo. I think that is a lot to do with why his sleep is disturbed. I can feel it rolling around his guts when he's feeding sometimes.

I put it down to eating & his guts needing to get used to food but I'm just wondering if actually he's intolerabt of dairy or something. Is that possible even though he's shown no sign of it in my milk? Maybe I'll cut out yogurt at dinner tomorrow just to see what happens!
Mummy to 2 gorgeous munchkins who are trying to eat us out of house & home! Dd A born July 08 and ds J born June 12. V3 due October 2014.

Also selling handmade gifts etc at http://www.alittleroar.com
Kanga

Re: Could he have an intolerance?

Postby junglewonderland » 16 May 2015, 04:26

Hi Kanga, I do remember Koala's digestion was all over the place for a little while when starting solids. I think their little guts change quite a lot as they interact with new things. He could have an intolerance, maybe wheat or dairy, or any number of things really! How long has he been gassy? To be really sure I reckon you would need to cut all dairy out for a few weeks, which is a real pain. If it hasn't been going for long I would maybe give it two weeks before cutting anything out, and in the meantime keep a food diary and see if you can see any patterns. Hope you get some sleep soon....
Mama to Feb boys, Koala (2012) and Taz (2015).
junglewonderland

Postby Jelly Belly » 17 May 2015, 18:56

Bam was really gassy and suffered disturbed sleep as a result. Fennel tea was like a miracle cure for us. The days when we put just water in his sippy cup were followed by the nights where he was rolling around and moaning. I can't remember when we stopped using the tea regularly (maybe 18 months?) but he sleeps quite well now and just seemed to need time for his gut to settle and mature.

He does have an intolerance to eggs but the wind definitely seemed more of a developmental thing.
The Chooby 28/10/07
Squirmy 12/12/09
Baby Bam 13/06/13
Jelly Belly

Postby Kanga » 17 May 2015, 19:44

Thanks both of you. My gut reaction (sorry for the pun) is that it's just developmental & time will sort it.

JW I think he's only been gassy since he started food & you're right, to cut something out would be a pain so I definitely think giving him some more time is a good plan. I do remember ds1 being similar and I asked the hv if I should stop giving him solids for a while but I decided it was better to ride it out & let him get used to it.

Will bear fennel tea in mind though jb, thanks for the tip.
Mummy to 2 gorgeous munchkins who are trying to eat us out of house & home! Dd A born July 08 and ds J born June 12. V3 due October 2014.

Also selling handmade gifts etc at http://www.alittleroar.com
Kanga

Postby NorthernKitten » 28 Jul 2015, 20:05

munchkin's dairy intolerance was only identified when i started weaning properly - she never reacted to it through my milk.

mini man, on the other hand...

may be worth eliminating for a while?
Mummy to a munchkin (Dec 12) and a mini munchkin (due Jan 15) and part-time teacher of teenaged terrors.
NorthernKitten

Return to Allergies