Weaning: Milk protein allergy & reflux

For the label-readers amongst us, a place to marvel at food manufacturers' ability to add milk powder to everything.

Weaning: Milk protein allergy & reflux

Postby MiniFox » 18 Mar 2015, 13:48

Hello there. Sorry for the imminent very long post!
My son was born prematurely and is now 20 weeks old. He was diagnosed at 12 weeks as having milk protein allergy/ intolerance and reflux. He's on neocate which he takes with infant gaviscon. He vomits a lot but fortunately this has not affected his weight gain - he is thriving, somehow. The paediatric team have dropped the ball somewhat and his follow up appointment cannot be before end May - after he will have commenced weaning.
My GP kindly referred me to a paediatric dietician so that we could discuss weaning strategy prior to starting. I intended to follow WHO and HV guidelines and proceed (as I did with my daughter) by waiting until 24 weeks (or thereabouts) before commencing Baby Led Weaning, albeit with some caution around other potential allergies. He is a little bit behind, developmentally, and is unlikely to be ready to pick food up and feed himself before then.
I was a bit surprised that the dietician was not only quite dismissive of BLW, calling the supporting evidence "flaky at best" and suggesting that I start weaning him straight-away using "old fashioned" (his words) pureeing, baby rice and baby porridge. It really wasn't what I was expecting and I was a bit shocked. That said, I did want a medical opinion on how to commence weaning (although I was looking for advice on whether I should exclude certain foods and how to prepare for potential other allergies - which I did indeed get) and so it seems churlish not to at least consider his suggestions. His approach seemed to be to try and reduce the neocate/ reflux vomiting by introducing thicker foods and solids earlier, which makes sense. But I confess to being baby rice and baby puree phobic and a huge fan of BLW!!
Have any of you encountered this strategy before? Have any of you been in a similar situation and undertaken BLW anyway..?
Thanks in advance
MiniFox
MiniFox

Re: Weaning: Milk protein allergy & reflux

Postby junglewonderland » 18 Mar 2015, 14:24

Hi there, yours sounds like a sensible approach, seeking medical advice as well as doing a bit of fact finding. Sorry, no advice re weaning in your situation, but hugs for dealing with allergies, they are a pain! Hopefully someone more helpful will be along soon.
Mama to Feb boys, Koala (2012) and Taz (2015).
junglewonderland

Postby MiniFox » 18 Mar 2015, 19:00

Thank you!
MiniFox

Postby Nyigi » 20 Apr 2015, 07:25

Hi,
How are you going?
I don't have much advice but am in a somewhat similar situation. DS2 has a milk protein and soy allergy and we were referred to a dietician to discuss weaning. The one we saw was also quite dismissive of baby led weaning but the reasons she gave seemed rather silly to me, apparently "he needs to learn how to use a spoon".
In general, I was very unimpressed with her advice. She also acknowledged that her advice regarding introducing potential allergens is counter to the latest findings in medical research but she maintains her stance because she thinks the babies are "too small to give potential allergens to". Also I'm an immigrant and have a slightly different food culture but she was firmly stuck on the local norms and couldn't see that you could still get all the good stuff by eating differently.
So I ended up largely ignoring her advice and following what I've been able to find out through other means. I'm a scientist myself so I feel reasonably capable of reading the research and making informed decisions.

How have you been going?

I can imagine introducing some thicker foods earlier might help your little one, though I don't see why doing that has to mean not doing blw when he's ready for it. Rather you could have a kind of extra stage in the weaning/eating process.
From what I've read of the research there isn't good evidence that blw is better, but there also isn't good evidence that puree first is better. There just isn't much good research in this area and there are lots of confounding factors. Ultimately I think you just need to do what works best for you and your family.
Nyigi

Return to Allergies