Hives?

For the label-readers amongst us, a place to marvel at food manufacturers' ability to add milk powder to everything.

Hives?

Postby LucyLastic » 15 Feb 2015, 21:34

I suspect there are a million and one posts on this subject, but I'm just after some motherly reassurance from someone!
C has been under the weather over the last couple of weeks, having started pre-school in the new year. She had a cold which seemed to disappear then a few days later she seemed to have a flu-like virus. She vomited on Thursday morning, after gagging when she coughed. She seems 'fine in herself' but today, all of a sudden, after eating breakfast, she developed stinging nettle like patches on her arms and legs. They were clearly itchy, so I stripped her down to her body and put on a little Aveeno in a bid to calm any itching and made her drink some water.
Over the course of the next hour or two, it subsided, so OH decided to take her out into the garden for some fresh air. When she came back in, she had the same marks all over her face and it had flared up on her arms again.
I drove her to the Tesco pharmacy (open 12-6 on a Sunday, genius) and the pharmacist gave me some Piriton, but the rash had all but disappeared by the time we got there (half an hour drive). I gave her a dose of it when we got home, then about an hour later, I gave her some dinner and almost immediately, it all flared up again. It has calmed down again but I can see some tiny red pin pricks and white surround, like bites, on her legs. Does this sound like hives to you? I get something similar every so often, usually along my jawline, where it itches, has similar marks and feels like I've been bitten but then the whole thing has disappeared within half an hour.
Any advice? Thank you :-)
Mummy to C (May 2012)
LucyLastic

Re: Hives?

Postby jvnt » 16 Feb 2015, 14:25

I suspect this is one of those things that is going to go away and never happen again and be forever mysterious... at least I hope so. I went to a talk that described histamine as being like a glass of water, as long as the glass isn't full there's no reaction but as soon as it fills to overflowing then the body has an allergic type reaction so you can have a reaction without it being a specific food or timing and it may not be repeated. Perhaps the virus has somehow triggered an easy reaction like the 'glass being full'... or maybe I'm talking bollocks.

It doesn't sound like a food allergy thing though if it got worse just by going outside. I'd keep a close eye and hope it goes away myself but definitely go to the doctor if it persists or gets worse.
jvnt, mother to The Boy, August '09, Baby Dragon, January '12 and HP May '14.
jvnt

Postby Lily » 16 Feb 2015, 14:41

Iz has had hives a couple of times, both as a result of a post-viral reaction. It was alarming the first time, so we took him to the GP who explained that it often happens to LOs when their bodies have been under stress - so if she'd been unwell beforehand then I'd bet that's what happened to C too.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby LucyLastic » 16 Feb 2015, 16:33

Thanks, jvnt and Lily. I really appreciate the replies - I don't have any RL friends with toddlers, except my friend who was due to come and stay this week, but her son has chicken pox, so she has enough on her plate with her scratchy boy! So, I really value the 'common voice of reason' here. As she still has it today, I requested a GP telephone consultation and he confirmed it sounds like post-viral hives, so I am giving her morning and night doses of Piriton and taking her to see him of she still has it come Thursday.
Mummy to C (May 2012)
LucyLastic

Return to Allergies