Concerned about realising something is triggering an allergy

For the label-readers amongst us, a place to marvel at food manufacturers' ability to add milk powder to everything.

Concerned about realising something is triggering an allergy

Postby Madgurl69 » 29 Oct 2014, 09:26

Hi all

When following BLW, how do you recognise when a food may be problematic?

I have just started with BLW as my little girl (almost 6 months) has shown massive interest in our food. But since they are having multiple foods, as opposed to the traditional one food at a time, how do you know if something doesn't agree with them?
Madgurl69

Re: Concerned about realising something is triggering an all

Postby Marrow » 29 Oct 2014, 10:24

Do you have a family history of allergy? If not, I wouldn't bother worrying about it until if and when you do see symptoms.

If you do have a family history, it might be easier to introduce the common allergenic foods one at a time. I know nothing about allergy, but the chances of even an allergic child having a reaction to potato, chicken, rice, carrot, ... are pretty small I think. So I'd be fine about feeding them from the off, but be a bit more cautious with egg, nuts etc and introduce them gradually.
Mum to a Courgette (July 2012)
Marrow

Re: Concerned about realising something is triggering an all

Postby junglewonderland » 29 Oct 2014, 11:28

If there is an allergy, you will know about it pretty quickly! Often allergy symptoms occur within minutes of having the food- hives, swelling, rash etc. Intolerances can be more tricky to figure out, because the symptoms can take days or weeks to occur. So if I were you I would not worry about it unless you see symptoms, then you can always slow down and take foods one at a time.
Mama to Feb boys, Koala (2012) and Taz (2015).
junglewonderland

Return to Allergies