Toddler advice please

For the label-readers amongst us, a place to marvel at food manufacturers' ability to add milk powder to everything.

Toddler advice please

Postby welshjo86 » 21 Oct 2014, 13:19

Hi there,

I'm currently waiting for an outpatients apt for my almost 3 yr old son to try and figure out his symptoms. His stools have always been fairly mushy, and he very frequently has undigested bits of food in them. They also smell pretty horrible and the times he does a poo are not very regular, although never more than twice a day.

He did used to get red lumpy rashes on his cheeks and generalised dry skin.

He was FF as a baby but I mostly used comfort milk as he was very colicy as a small baby and vomited average once a day. Doctor said ? dairy intolerance but was too mild to do anything. Hence why I tried different milks with help from HV and eventually settled on Comfort. He was on this until over a year old and off dairy and eggs altogether until 18 months as seemed to react to both. Went back onto dairy from 18 months but has been back off it (and still eggs) since 4 months ago because we think it's still causing problems.

I'm using alternative milks, giving vit D drops every day and have put more meat into his diet, along with nut butters, hummous etc... to keep up his protein and fat intake. He's pretty good at eating lots of fruit and veg too.

Just still a bit confused. The stool sample result we gave the Drs a couple of months ago showed a lactose intolerance. But everything I've read that wouldn't explain the other symptoms - rash, dry skin he was getting but that have vastly improved since no dairy. I do still think he gets tired more easily than he should seeing as he sleeps 10 hours/night and still has a 1-2 hour afternoon nap. Plus poos still aren't great. Definete improvement in that they are slightly more solid but still sometimes mushy and nasty smelling.

As I said still waiting for the apt at the hospital but am wondering if in the meantime I should try and see a nutritionist privately - anyone have experience of this? I want to make sure I am giving him the right diet with all the nutrients, vitamins etc.. and if I'm doing the wrong thing still taking dairy out of his diet. Could it be something else?

Apologies for the very long post, hope it makes sense!

TIA, Jo
welshjo86

Re: Toddler advice please

Postby pimento » 21 Oct 2014, 14:19

Hi, Are his stools very oily and/or bulky? As in lots and lots of poo, almost seemingly impossible for such a little person?

Are you in the UK?

Edited to add: Does your LO have any respiratory problems?
Big E - Jan 2011
Little E - Feb 2013
pimento

Postby welshjo86 » 21 Oct 2014, 18:33

Thanks pimento. No not lots and lots, I think a normal amount. They don't look oily but they would probably float if he was doing them in the toilet. Nope no respiratory problems. He did have what seemed like a chronic runny nose but that seemed to clear up with eliminating dairy. Thanks, Jo
welshjo86

Postby pimento » 21 Oct 2014, 18:46

Big E - Jan 2011
Little E - Feb 2013
pimento

Postby Raktajino » 21 Oct 2014, 20:39

Mum to Sausage, born July 2011
Raktajino

Postby pimento » 21 Oct 2014, 20:44

Big E - Jan 2011
Little E - Feb 2013
pimento

Postby WishingBone » 21 Oct 2014, 20:47

Bear had mushy and quite explosive poo. We were reluctant to assume intolerances of this or that, but tried switching to lactose-free milk when we noticed that it was worse on nursery days, when the diet was milk-heavy. That helped a bit but not totally. Then we had a lightbulb moment involving caramelised onions and discovered through research that it's common for toddlers to have problems with 'high-residue' foods fermenting in the large intestine and causing runny, gassy poo. There wasn't so much a lactose intolerance as an excess of lactose contributing to the residue problem. The answer to managing it was to limit FODMAP foods (google it) - essentially cut out onions and some fruits as well as lactose-heavy dairy foods. It really, really helped. Somewhat to our surprise, she outgrew the problems completely between the ages of 4 and 5, and now has a normal diet. Good luck!
Bemused parent to the Bear (2009) and Smudge (2011).
WishingBone

Postby Raktajino » 21 Oct 2014, 20:54

Mum to Sausage, born July 2011
Raktajino

Postby DandelionFrosting » 22 Oct 2014, 00:49

Has LO had antibiotics for anything recently? Could it be a lack of good gut bacteria? Gut bacteria also calibrates the immune system, so it could explain the rash, too, as well as not being able to digest food efficiently. You could try a probiotic supplement -- if you can, get one with a big variety of different types of bacteria, not just one type. Gut bacteria are being linked to all kinds of things these days -- it could be worth a try!
Saurus (April 2012) wants to open all the cupboards to see the pipes.
Zilla (December 2013) is unstoppable. And really likes pizza.
Turtle (November 2015) isn't cute yet, but he's working on it.
And Mia and Oreo are my emotional support cats.
DandelionFrosting

Postby welshjo86 » 23 Oct 2014, 13:25

Thanks for everyone's replies!

Pimento - yes sorry, we are in the UK, didn't see that bit of your question, so not worried about CF but that does sound like a great Phd topic, very interesting.

DF - no he's never had antibiotics and the rash has always been there whenever he's had dairy, from when he was a tiny baby so I'm pretty convinced it's linked. I will look into probiotics though, sounds like it could def help.

WB - Ooh that is really interesting. I'd never considered that. We eat a fairly mediterrean type diet, lots of tomatoes, onions etc.. so that could def be something to consider. Will research.

Thanks all! x
welshjo86

Return to Allergies